PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster [PF]

Doorhandle
2011-05-31, 01:54 AM
Well, I'm going into a play-by post of pathfinder on these very forums, but before I get into it I would like to get some optimization help, as listed in these points;

I'm planning to be a [Crossbow] Rouge 3/[Illusionist] Wizard 3/A.T the rest.

Gonna take my levels in rouge first, so I have more H.P and light armor for at least a few levels.

Understandably, need to have as much Dex and Int as possible, but I don't know what other stats I need.

With the huge amount of skills I will recive from high INT, I should proably think about being the skill-monkey.

Probably going to be an elf, due to the Int and Dex bonuses, although I'm considering halfling or human because Screw Elves. I mean, seriously.

Most likely taking the illusionist school, because it has a monopoly on all the stealth and Flat-footing spells, as well as a school-arcana that isn't useless, because it blinds people! Also, it fits well with the entire arcane-trickster thing.

Not sure what to ditch though. Evocation may not be out right on the bat, as it's high-level damage spells would synergies well with the arcane-trickster capstone, which allows sneak attack damage to apply to damage-dice spells. Could probably get rid of enchantment and leave that to the party bard.

Going to be a Range-based rouge so I can take advantage of this neat little feat, called Focused Shot, which allows me to use my intelligence modifier as a damage bonus when using crossbows. As a bow-rouge, I'm probably going to need it's prerequisites anyway. I don't know if it can be used with rapid shot.

Should I take Arcane Strike, and rely on my natural Dex, or Arcane armor Proficiency, and allow myself to use light armor? What other feats would be good?

I will just wing it with a light crossbow, and not take crossbow mastery allowing more feats for other purposes.

If I'm a non-human, I will be taking combat expertise a second level so I can get focus shot A.S.A.P. If human, I won't have to wait. what other rouge tricks should I take, if I have the urge to use the Extra Rouge Trick Feat?

Note that I do not want to be a lesser pun-pun, and I do not want to be a primary caster ether, but you could guess that from my choice of prestige class.

Just putting this out there, seeing if I'm on the right track, or A track, full stop.

Hazzardevil
2011-05-31, 02:04 AM
First of all, whats your DM's stance on 3.5 material? Theres a interesting prestige class in Complete Mage called The Unseen Seer, it's a divination and stealth focused prestige class. It also adds more divinations from other lists to your spells. Something that will get you rifling through any book you can for 4th level ranger and paladin spells.
Also, in 10 levels you get 4 dice of sneak attack, advanced learning for divinations, bonuses to your divination caster level, (This comes with a feat tax of practised spellcaster,) permanent Nondetection and silent spell as a bonus feat.

I'm planning to be a [Crossbow] Rouge 3/[Illusionist] Wizard 3/A.T the rest.

Gonna take my levels in rogue first, so I have more H.P and light armor for at least a few levels.

Understandably, need to have as much Dex and Int as possible, but I don't know what other stats I need.

Probably going to be an elf, due to the Int and Dex bonuses, although I'm considering halfling or human because Screw Elves. I mean, seriously.

Most likely taking the illusionist school, because it has a monopoly on all the stealth and Flat-footing spells, as well as a school-arcana that isn't useless, because it blinds people! Also, it fits well with the entire arcane-trickster thing.

Not sure what to ditch though. Evocation may not be out right on the bat, as it's high-level damage spells would synergies well with the arcane-trickster capstone, which allows sneak attack damage to apply to damage-dice spells. Could probably get rid of enchantment and leave that to the party bard.

Going to be a Range-based rouge so I can take advantage of this neat little feat, called Focused Shot, which allows me to use my intelligence modifier as a damage bonus when using crossbows. As a bow-rouge, I'm probably going to need it's prerequisites anyway. I don't know if it can be used with rapid shot.

Should I take Arcane Strike, and rely on my natural Dex, or Arcane armor Proficiency, and allow myself to use light armor? What other feats would be good?

I will just wing it with a light crossbow, and not take crossbow mastery allowing more feats for other purposes.

If I'm a non-human, I will be taking combat expertise a second level so I can get focus shot A.S.A.P. If human, I won't have to wait. what other rouge tricks should I take, if I have the urge to use the Extra Rouge Trick Feat?

1. Seems solid, although you need 5 levels of wizard to qualift for arcane trickster. After 2 levels, I reccomend you go into Unseen Seer and if Arcane trickster is important go into it when you can cast 3rd level spells.

2. Belive me, if a wizard is taking hits in combat, then your doing something wrong.

3. If your going wizard, the only other stats you could need are constiution.

4. Well Pointy Eared Smugness comes in so many flavours (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurElvesAreBetter).

5. This is my weak point in my knowledge of wizards, ( well that and my lack of knowledge about what high level casters can do.)

6. You could ban Necromancy, wizards don't really have anything apart from fear spells in it. As for the other? maybe you could Enchantment if you are beng the smug elf who avoids contact with people.

7. It can't use rapid shot, also ask your DM if you can take Hand Crossbow focus, it's weapon focus and rapid reload rolled into one feat

8. Arcane strike doesn't work on ranged weapons.

9. I'm going to presume you're dual weilding hand crossbows, you can hide them a lot more easily and less likely to have them confiscated.

10. You might want to take Craven, get a permanent -2 penalty on will saves and your class level as a bonus on sneak attacks.

Doorhandle
2011-05-31, 02:14 AM
Hmm, nice, but I don't know my D.M's stance on 3.5 material and my stance on it is mostly against it.

Also, I get 4 die in sneak attack at character level ten regardless, I don't have the planning capability to be batman and use divination, and I will have plenty of stealth ranks plus greater invisibility several times a day, not including spells.

Perma-nondetection and silent spells sound nice though. and the divination bonuses could be useful, I guess.

On another note, the Sandman-Bard variant introduced in the advanced players guide sounds interesting, as I could just take levels in that alone without needing to multiclass before I got to Arcane Trickster, if I was willing to wait till level ten to switch classes.

I'll consider it.

Hazzardevil
2011-05-31, 02:43 AM
I just edited my psot for more infomation.

Earthwalker
2011-05-31, 03:21 AM
1. Seems solid, although you need 5 levels of wizard to qualift for arcane trickster. After 2 levels, I reccomend you go into Unseen Seer and if Arcane trickster is important go into it when you can cast 3rd level spells.

I think in Pathfinder the requirements are lower so he only needs 2nd level spells and so only 3 levels of wizard.

The idea for the build seems good. I would also suggest looking at unseen seer.

Ashram
2011-05-31, 03:40 AM
I think in Pathfinder the requirements are lower so he only needs 2nd level spells and so only 3 levels of wizard.

The idea for the build seems good. I would also suggest looking at unseen seer.

Indeed.

[PF] Arcane Trickster requirements:

Alignment: Any nonlawful
Skills: Disable Device 4 ranks, Escape Artist 4 ranks, Knowledge: Arcana 4 ranks
Spells: Ability to cast Mage Hand and at least one arcane spell of 2nd level or higher
Special: Sneak attack +2d6

Doorhandle
2011-05-31, 03:55 AM
1. Earthwalker and Ashrand are correct. Look at it here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/) for more corralation.

2-3. Good point. Rouge levels or no, the arcane trickster is still a fair bit more "spell-slinger" than "Sneaky-git." Athough con is nice, yes, and a little wisdom would be useful for perception checks and trapfinding/will saves.

6:. I think it has all the level-drain and a few save-or dies. Also, the A.T is Chaotic, it's not like he'll mind if he's breaking the laws of nature bu summoning some Skellys as a diversion. Still good though.

7. Noted, despite it being so much cheese.:smalltongue:

8. Well, now I know. More feats for me then!

9. Eh, maybe. Paraodxiaclly, I somehow think a heavy/light crossbow just fits the sneaky-git persona better.

10. Which classes' levels? If It's for rouge, it's going to be nigh-usless as I will only have 3 levels in it. Also, isn't that a halfling racial ability? or is it from 3.5?

Speaking of halfling race-ablitys, craven and swift as shadows do look nice.

edit:Hang on, we have a problem here! How am I supposed to reload a hand crossbow if I have one in each hand?

I think another thread has been over this. so yeah, might be using a light crossbow after all, as I can still make full attacks with it with rapid reload. And it only has 2 less max damage.

Hazzardevil
2011-05-31, 05:28 AM
1. Earthwalker and Ashrand are correct. Look at it here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/) for more corralation.

2-3. Good point. Rouge levels or no, the arcane trickster is still a fair bit more "spell-slinger" than "Sneaky-git." Athough con is nice, yes, and a little wisdom would be useful for perception checks and trapfinding/will saves.

6:. I think it has all the level-drain and a few save-or dies. Also, the A.T is Chaotic, it's not like he'll mind if he's breaking the laws of nature bu summoning some Skellys as a diversion. Still good though.

7. Noted, despite it being so much cheese.:smalltongue:

8. Well, now I know. More feats for me then!

9. Eh, maybe. Paraodxiaclly, I somehow think a heavy/light crossbow just fits the sneaky-git persona better.

10. Which classes' levels? If It's for rouge, it's going to be nigh-usless as I will only have 3 levels in it. Also, isn't that a halfling racial ability? or is it from 3.5?

Speaking of halfling race-ablitys, craven and swift as shadows do look nice.

edit:Hang on, we have a problem here! How am I supposed to reload a hand crossbow if I have one in each hand?

I think another thread has been over this. so yeah, might be using a light crossbow after all, as I can still make full attacks with it with rapid reload. And it only has 2 less max damage.

1. i won't go into that, since I know little about pathfinder feats.

2-3. if your willing to, you might want to go 1 rogue/Wiz 3/Assasin 1/Arcane trickster.
Makes you lose less Caster levels and may pose a problem if you aren't evil and willing to kill an innocent for no reason.

7. What cheese?

10. It's spelt Rogue for dnd, rouge is a type of lipstick, I've been there too with the whole lipstick joke.

Not sure how to help there aside from get mreo Sneak attack.