Blacktree
2011-05-31, 02:58 AM
Blacklight
Evocation [Darkness]
Level: Darkness 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: A 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on a creature, object, or point in space
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates or none (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes or no (object)
The caster creates an area of total darkness. The darkness is impenetrable to normal vision and darkvision, but the caster can see normally within the blacklit area. Creatures outside the spell’s area, even the caster, cannot see through it.

The spell can be cast on a point in space, but the effect is stationary when cast on a mobile object. A character can cast the spell on a creature, and the effect then radiates from the creature and moves as it moves. Unattended objects and points in space do not get saving throws or benefit from spell resistance.

From the text it's not explicitly clear (at least not to me) as to whether or not the caster, if within the effect, can see beyond the blacklit area. Seems weird if he couldn't but it sort of feels that way. Any consensus on this? I searched around and didn't find much.

Zaq
2011-05-31, 03:02 AM
To be honest, I see absolutely nothing indicating that the caster couldn't see beyond the spell's range, assuming that they could see in that area before they cast the spell. What, specifically, makes you think otherwise?

If you want an example of "caster can see in sphere of darkness but not outside it," check out the Shoulders bind of the Shadow Mantle.

Apophis
2011-05-31, 03:03 AM
It says they can see normally when they're within the area, so I would assume they can see beyond it.

Blacktree
2011-05-31, 03:07 AM
ok thanks, glad I wasn't wishful thinking. It wouldn't make sense to me either if he couldn't see out, but the wording was vague enough I wanted to check.

Diarmuid
2011-05-31, 08:48 AM
That's also a 3.0 spell where Darkness was actually darkness and wouldnt make a completely dark room brighter.

Darkness as a general rule no longer completely blocks line of sight like that spell indicates and the spell should be updated accordingly.