PDA

View Full Version : D20 Modern Springboard

Tvtyrant
2011-05-31, 06:39 AM
The basic premise I am thinking of is having the party be the reincarnations of gods, which they pick from a list. Being a reincarnation gives the person the ability to turn into an avatar once per day for a number of turns equal to their level, and the avatar levels alongside them.

An example avatar would be ALMIGHTY THOR (level 10):
+2 Returning Thundering and Shocking Burst hammer
+10 DR/-
+10 Strength enhancement
3/day Lightning Bolt SLA
Fly at will

The use of the avatars is mitigated by two factors:
1. They have a limited use per day, so destroying a military base is effectively impossible.
2. Using the avatars draws the attention of the creatures that killed the gods (Eldritch Abominations).

The types of gods would be from Earth's history, and the goal is to restore your powers before the abominations catch up to you. I'm aiming for a playable American Gods feel.

Any thoughts? Does it sound unplayable?

Callos_DeTerran
2011-05-31, 11:23 AM
It sounds like a good premise, but you may want to tone down things like...DR 10/-. DR is VERY hard to get in d20 modern, for a reason, especially DR X/-. Instead, replace it with 'Immunity to Massive Damage' and you'd get the same effect. I'm sure others are going to tell you to go with a different system though. :smallwink:

Tvtyrant
2011-05-31, 04:12 PM
It sounds like a good premise, but you may want to tone down things like...DR 10/-. DR is VERY hard to get in d20 modern, for a reason, especially DR X/-. Instead, replace it with 'Immunity to Massive Damage' and you'd get the same effect. I'm sure others are going to tell you to go with a different system though. :smallwink:

Well if they have a system that allows you to do badass normal things while still being weak enough to die by gun fire, but also have mechanics in place for being immune to small arms and to shoot lightning I am all ears.

caden_varn
2011-06-02, 07:01 AM
Since you asked, it sounds basically like the Scion system from White Wolf. I have it, but not played it myself, but you are the son of a god, you get certain special abilities but I believe you are still threatened by normal weapons. There are 3 games in the series - Hero, Demigod and God, so I'd say you want Hero.

I have heard that there are some broken options, but I think its OK at Hero level, when you get to Demigod and God is when the brokenness really starts.

There used to be some threads about it on the boards...

Tvtyrant
2011-06-02, 02:01 PM
The Scion System sounds interesting; what type of rules theory does it employ?

The-Mage-King
2011-06-02, 02:24 PM
I think it's storyteller system...

(Given that it's WW... The chances of that are high)