PDA

View Full Version : Leadership question

Andry
2011-05-31, 06:40 AM
So a player of mine wants to take the leadership feat. I am totally open to this because he is going to use these minions to set up an organization and not a traveling army to accompany the PC's. The player in question wants his minions to be Half-Giants. As they are a level adjustment race should I only allow his 2nd level followers to be Half-Giants and make the first level ones a non LA race? Or am I making too much of this?

GodGoblin
2011-05-31, 06:45 AM
Hmm would be a bit more powerful than standard because LA is power balanced with a PC class, with NPCs the LA will be a lot more potent.
Also think all of those followers will have Stomp 1/day :smallfrown:

I would say have a Half Giant cohort then give him Orc followers, call them Giant blooded or 1/4 giants.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-31, 06:46 AM
By RAW, I think so, but if there is little being done with them then you might as well not bother limiting them. If the organisation is goin to be called upon, then enforce it. Cohorts might be a bigger problem, as they are definitely going to tag along with the party.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-31, 06:48 AM
Cohorts might be a bigger problem

I see what you did there.

Grommen
2011-05-31, 09:12 AM
#1 If the player in question is taking the Leadership feat, but has no intentions of bringing his crew along on adventures he is wasting a feat. It would be like taking Improved Critical in Longsword, and then using a Mace in combat. If your all down with that, go for it I guess. Looks to me like this is just a character development thing and not an attempt to gain more power. I would grant him the leadership feat for free, or just use the Leadership feat as a guideline for setting up said group.

#2 I got a lot of millage out of this, but it requires a bit more work for the DM. I had a group of players that wanted to build an army, and go wage a war. So I used the leadership rules to build said army (they were 12th level, PF core). I did not want 10 zillion 1st level things running about dieing so I used the CR equivalent tables to adjust them. IE Two 1st level characters equals One 2nd, or Four 1st equals one 3rd. So if your half giants are a CR+2, you might make them Level 1 something, makeing them a CR2 or CR3 depending on what items you give them. Then instead of your players forces consisting of X# of 1st level, just give him half or a quarter of the henchmen.

ericgrau
2011-05-31, 11:49 AM
He might not bring minions on adventures but they can be active and useful in other parts of the campaign/story. It's RP, let it happen and don't worry about having one less improved critical feat.

Technically half-giant would only be allowable for level 2 and higher followers or cohorts.