PDA

View Full Version : How do you play online?

AnonymousD&Der
2011-05-31, 12:46 PM
One of my group's members injured herself, and she unfortunately won't be going out much on her leg. Which is a shame, since she had the most magnificent set of perky round-EYES. Yes. I was speaking of her eyes. :wink:
(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0726.html)
But seriously though, not very good when someone can't make it to the group. Don't want people feeling left out, gotta continue the game.... But what do you do when you need something? Why, Go to the Internet!

I'm trying to find out what each person's internet is like, so we can get a Lan based connection working, and then we can download one of those web programs for it.

Any suggestions on such programs, both for the Lan and for using it? Garena and Maptools seem to be my first candidates respectively, but I doubt anyone cares about the medium compared to the fun it provides.

Talya
2011-05-31, 12:48 PM
I've played via OpenRPG before.

Eldan
2011-05-31, 12:50 PM
I just use Skype and an online Dice Roller (catchyourhare.com/diceroller, which updates in real time for everyone with the same password), but I also don't use maps or miniatures.

Allanimal
2011-05-31, 01:30 PM
Maptool (http://rptools.net/) works pretty well, once you get the hang of it.
It can take some effort to set things up...

CTrees
2011-05-31, 01:33 PM
Skype+online dice roller is how I've seen it done.

Really, if it's just one person out of commission? You really only need to worry about two 'net connections - that person's home connection, and the one where every is playing. Just set up a computer and webcam at the table.

Alternatively, if your connections are bad? IRC could work, though it could be A LOT of typing... I'm *pretty sure* I've seen a die-roller in IRC before, somehow or another.

Grendus
2011-05-31, 04:40 PM
Plus if you use skype and a webcam, you don't miss her... eyes was it?

AnonymousD&Der
2011-05-31, 04:43 PM
I've played via OpenRPG before.

I'm trying to figure out where from Google-OpenRPG I gain some way to download an RPG enabling device. I'm probably retarded, but I can't find it.

While I'm thinking about it. Vow of Nudity? :smallconfused:

I just use Skype and an online Dice Roller (catchyourhare.com/diceroller, which updates in real time for everyone with the same password), but I also don't use maps or miniatures.

Playing without Maps or Miniatures!?! This is Blasphemy! THIS IS MADNESS!!!

Maptool (http://rptools.net/) works pretty well, once you get the hang of it.
It can take some effort to set things up...

I'm trying to figure it out now... :smallsigh:

Skype+online dice roller is how I've seen it done.

Really, if it's just one person out of commission? You really only need to worry about two 'net connections - that person's home connection, and the one where every is playing. Just set up a computer and webcam at the table.

Alternatively, if your connections are bad? IRC could work, though it could be A LOT of typing... I'm *pretty sure* I've seen a die-roller in IRC before, somehow or another.

She really does bring the spirit of the game for that particular group to the table. And I don't think we have a webcam on us. Doing things for as free as possible seems to be the modus apparendai for most of my friends and I.

Also, what's an IRC?

Plus if you use skype and a webcam, you don't miss her... eyes was it?

She can choose to show only her .... smile (that was hard to think of) on a webcam. In person, her beautiful eyes carry a lot more weight. ...... XD

OracleofWuffing
2011-05-31, 05:16 PM
Add me as another hat on the pile for MapTool... I've ran 3.5 with it, and am in a 4e campaign (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbujFRHoGmM) now that uses that and Skype. I guess the big hurdle, though, is making sure that whoever is hosting the session can get their ports forwarded properly, so if you all live in, say, a college dorm type-setup, you're basically out of luck for MapTools and other such things unless you can grab a puppet to host for you. Once you've got a reliable host, you can pretty much ignore the more complicated stuff if you just want to play a darn game.

In person, her beautiful eyes carry a lot more weight.
So what color are they? :smallbiggrin:

AnonymousD&Der
2011-05-31, 05:48 PM
So what color are they? :smallbiggrin:

My first responce can be summed up rather easily. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p32OC97aNqc)

My second thought was to wonder if she might potentially see this thread. She may be a bit naive, but there's still a chance that she would know. Especially since I just showed my group Oots. Eh, it'll be funny for a bit.

And my third thought was how to continue the metaphor. I'd say that her ... eyes... are a very lustrous and vivid shade of green. And yet for her age, the color doesn't appear to be cell-shaded or photoshoped. :wink:

Of the programs listed so far, Maptools has 3 votes to OpenRPG's 1. Any other suggestions of programs that use maping, multiplayer online connectivity, and little characters? If not, any preference between these two? Just making sure everyone has internet, amoung other things, is enough of a chore right now.