PDA

View Full Version : Promoting your 3PP product?

Rixx
2011-05-31, 01:30 PM
A few days ago, I released my first third party product - a set of paper gaming miniatures. In fear of breaking the forum rules on advertising, I won't say where to find them.

So far they've gotten some really great reviews, and one of the people who bought the paper minis liked them enough to commission me for a load of custom miniatures for his groups. This is good, and I'm glad people like them! However, as of this writing, I've only sold five copies. I think the problem is I need to get the word out.

Unfortunately, I don't know a single thing about marketing a 3PP product - I'm not really well ingrained in any tabletop roleplaying game communities, and I'm not exactly rolling in dough I can use for advertising either. Does anyone here have any experience in regards to getting the word out for RPG products they're selling?

(EDIT: Forgot they were in my signature. Signature removed!)

Velaryon
2011-05-31, 01:59 PM
Start a Facebook page for your product if you haven't already. Then get your gaming friends to pass the word on to their friends, and hopefully word will continue to spread there. You can also look for FB groups about gaming, and post about your product in some of those. Not all of them will appreciate the blatant advertising, but as long as you don't violate Facebook's TOS it isn't going to cause any real problems.

Maybe you can do the same thing on Twitter? I don't use Twitter so I don't really know what that's like.

As far as no-cost ideas, that's what comes to mind for me at the moment.

Rixx
2011-05-31, 05:44 PM
I do still have to get around to making up the Facebook page for my game company. That could be something to do, though I actually don't have that many IRL tabletop gaming friends.

I also considered Google adwords, though I don't know if the tabletop gaming crowd is the one that clicks advertisements!

bartman
2011-05-31, 06:47 PM
I for one make it a rule not to click the Google adwords, as they more often than not lead you somewhere you do not want to be.

Rixx
2011-06-01, 03:46 PM
I have also considered sending review copies of my paper minis to blogs that review tabletop gaming products - unfortunately, I do not know of any, and my Google-fu regarding the matter is somewhat weak. Does anyone know of any good RPG product review sites I could cough my wares toward?

potatocubed
2011-06-02, 09:09 AM
I know rpg.net do reviews of things if you send one of their reviewers a freebie copy. Don't know how many people read them or pay attention to them, but they're there.