PDA

View Full Version : Things you do to make the game run smoother (as a DM)

danzibr
2011-05-31, 06:06 PM
Hello,

As the title suggests, I'm just wondering what people do to have their sessions run smoother. Right now I'm thinking:

No grappling.
Pre-roll everything you can.
No loot tables, just golders and magic items.
Limit how time a player has to make decisions.

Thanks!

arkol
2011-05-31, 06:09 PM
RL or pbp?

arguskos
2011-05-31, 06:11 PM
Define "smoother". What are you trying to get rid of? That's pretty critical information to have. :smallbiggrin:

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-31, 06:11 PM
For real life games, wing things. PCs say something stupid? Roll with it or act surprised by said words. Nothing is canon until the PCs meet it.

agahii
2011-05-31, 06:22 PM
I run mostly sand box games where the PCs do what they want so I wing it quite a bit. Things that help are having a predefined set of possibilities in any given areas that I think the PCs may do. I have set loot which is mostly cash and the PCs just buy what they want. The best thing you can do is have things wrote up for as many possibilities that you can think of.

danzibr
2011-05-31, 08:33 PM
Ahh, I should have clarified. I meant combat but I'm also curious for non-combat.

A DM buddy of mine also suggested if a player tries to do something wacky don't try to look up every single rule. If it involves some crazy acrobatics have them do a tumble check or the like.

Bhaakon
2011-05-31, 08:52 PM
A DM buddy of mine also suggested if a player tries to do something wacky don't try to look up every single rule. If it involves some crazy acrobatics have them do a tumble check or the like.

Agreed, but feel free to check it between sessions and quietly inform them that a repeat performance won't go so smoothly.