PDA

View Full Version : New Magical Materials

Tvtyrant
2011-05-31, 08:23 PM
Stones:
Stones are items commonly used in making magical items. When used to make an item the stone is absorbed into the magical item, and many types of stones are destroyed when used as a magical item.

Elemental Stone: Elemental Stones are natural precious gems that are commonly used in the making of magical swords as a way to bypass the need for a caster.

A Lesser Elemental Stone can be used to maximize an elemental spell matching the stone's type of third level or below without taking up a higher level slot by a caster, but this destroys the stone. When merged with a weapon it gives an elemental property of the stones type (EG Flaming) and a Lesser Elemental Resistance property of the stones type. A Lesser Elemental Stone costs 20,000 GP.

A Moderate Elemental Stone can maximize an elemental spell matching the stone's type of 6th level of below without taking up a higher level slot by a caster, but this destroys the stone. When merged with a weapon it gives an Elemental Burst property of the stones type and an Improved Elemental Resistance property of the stones type. A Moderate Elemental Stone costs 40,000 GP.

A Greater Elemental Stone can maximize an elemental spell matching the stone's type of 9th level or below without taking up a higher level slot by a caster, but this destroys the stone. When merged with a weapon it gives an elemental Burst property of the stones type, the ability to shoot a maximized Elemental spell (Lightning Bolt, Fireball, Coldball (as fireball for cold), Acid Bolt (as lightning bolt for acid), or Shout depending on the stones elemental type) once per day at CL 20 from the sword, and the Greater Elemental Resistance property of the stones type. A Greater Elemental Stone costs 80,000 GP.

The five types of elemental stones are:
Fire Ruby
Frost Sapphire
Acid Emerald
Lightning Amethyst
Sound Diamond

Attunement Stones

Attunement Stones: Acts as any spell equal to its slot type for the sake of making magical items. This abrogates the need for knowing the particular spell, but does not alleviate the XP cost. The making of Attunement Stones is unknown, and all known come from the Elemental Planes.
Type I are level 1 slots and are white~500 GP
Type II are level 2 slots and are blue~750 GP
Type III are level 3 slots and are red~1,000 GP
Type IV are level 4 slots and are yellow~1,500 GP
Type V are level 5 slots and are orange~2,000 GP
Type VI are level 6 slots and are purple~2,500 GP
Type VII are level 7 slots and are green~3,000 GP
Type VIII are level 8 slots and are grey~4,000 GP
Type IX are level 9 slots and are black~5,000 GP

Charge Stones
Charge Stones are a rare material whose origins are unknown. A Charge Stone has 20-100 blank charges in it when found, and these charges automatically alter to a spell that is cast upon the Charge Stone. This makes a Charge Stone an instant wand or staff, without the normal XP cost for crafting one. While a Charge Stone alleviates the cost of crafting a Wand or Staff, and XP cost for casting the spell is taken from the person using the Charge Stone when the stone casts it. Any spell cast on the Charge Stone is cast by the charges, though the stone loses a number of charges equal to the spell level of the spell being cast and can only ever "know" one spell.

A blank Charge Stone is worth 1,000 GP per charge, ranging up to 100,000 GP for a full 100 charges.

Animation Stone
An Animation Stone is a blue octagon shaped gem with green stripes running through it. In the center of the octagon is a cutout section that is hexagonal in shape. To use an Animation Stone a corpse or object must be prepared with an octagonal indentation where the stone can be placed. Upon placement the corpse or object is animated and under the control of the stones' placer. A corpse is animated as if by an Animate Dead spell cast by a Wizard with a CL of 32, and an object is animated as if by a Cleric with a CL of 32.
Strong transmutation; CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, animate objects, animate dead; Price 47,000 gp.

Golden Torus Ioun Stone
The Golden Torus Ioun Stone grants the owner Telekinesis at will with a CL of 15 as long as it rotates around them. Activation of the Golden Torus Ioun Stone is a standard action, and 1/day the user can cast Grasping Hand at a CL of 15 and with an attack modifier equal to the makers casting stat modifier.
Strong Evocation and Transumtation; CL 15; Craft Wondrous Item, Crushing Hand, Telekinesis; Price 64,000 gp

The-Mage-King
2011-05-31, 08:54 PM
Prices for those?

Tvtyrant
2011-05-31, 09:01 PM
Prices for those?

Sorry, life caught up with me mid-post. Will update further tommorow :P

The-Mage-King
2011-05-31, 10:59 PM
Ah, alrighty. It's just something that bugs me, ya know?

Tvtyrant
2011-06-01, 12:05 AM
Ah, alrighty. It's just something that bugs me, ya know?

My apologies, though I'm not sure why that would be a pet peeve. Oh well, update.

Kyrinthic
2011-06-02, 09:18 AM
Elemental stone prices seem overly high, 20k for a 1 shot maximize for your fireball or a +1 weapon mod seems high.

Can it be used on an enchanted weapon? Can you use more than 1 on a weapon? Does it count as an enhancement crystal? Can they be unmerged?
If all those questions are yes (other than the cystal one), 20k seems real reasonable, maybe even low. If most of them are no, then it seems very high.

Either way, its 1 use effect should at least be a maximized [element] ball without need to be able to cast it yourself, like a necklace of missiles. I mean you are throwing a lot of gold away that way.

Hard to judge the moderate and greater stone prices for the same reasons.

ion stone duplicates and improves on ring of telekinesis and is slotless, for 11k less.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-02, 01:31 PM
Right, the elemental stones are meant for use in crafting, it just gives an alternate use for people who own one but whose WBL is already too high for it to be useful. The big jump in price is their elemental resistance property, which is extremely expensive. So much so that I am in fact undervaluing them a little as is. They count as a +1 enhancement bonus.

The Ioun Stone I agree, but I'm not sure how to price it. Alternatively it could grant at will Mage Hand + Telekinesis 1/day for a much lower price.

Kyrinthic
2011-06-02, 02:35 PM
Hmm, ok, didnt realize how rough those elemental resistance prices are, honestly they seem too high, but I'm not here to argue the SRD :)

You could make two versions of the ion stone, one thats a mage hand version with 1/day TK for 2-5k range, the other as described as a 'greater' version for something like 85-90k.

I still stick with the 'built in spell' on the stones. If you are going to sac a thing with that much value, you should at least have a big bang :)