PDA

View Full Version : Shapeshift Druid (PHB II) size question

CrashTestGenius
2011-05-31, 09:24 PM
When you shapeshift into a form that increases your size category, does it also increase your natural attack damage to that size?

(ex: Elemental fury form has a pair of primary slam attacks that deal 2d6 damage, but you gain two size categories, so the damage goes from 2d6 to 4d6.)

I would say that this is how it works because the description of shapeshift druid says: "The damage dice are given for Medium druids; smaller or larger druids should adjust those values according to the table on page 28 in the [DMG]."

If the damage dice are based on a Medium druid and change with the size of the druid, shouldn't the damage for different forms be given for a Medium creature and then be tweaked depending on the new size of the form?

Cog
2011-05-31, 10:34 PM
The damage listed is accurate if you're starting out as a Medium creature.

If the damage dice are based on a Medium druid and change with the size of the druid, shouldn't the damage for different forms be given for a Medium creature and then be tweaked depending on the new size of the form?
In listing it by Medium Druids rather than Medium results, they've made bookkeeping easier. Most PCs start out Medium, and so will never have to refer to the table; PCs of other sizes will have to change all damage values by the same step, making keeping track of the conversion far simpler.

CrashTestGenius
2011-05-31, 11:25 PM
The damage listed is accurate if you're starting out as a Medium creature.

In listing it by Medium Druids rather than Medium results, they've made bookkeeping easier. Most PCs start out Medium, and so will never have to refer to the table; PCs of other sizes will have to change all damage values by the same step, making keeping track of the conversion far simpler.

Soooo... is that a "no"?

Basically if I am a Medium druid, my elder elemental form will deal 2d6 damage. But because shifting to the elemental form makes me go up two size categories (from Med->Large->Huge), does that ALSO increase the damage that I do in that form from 2d6 to 4d6?

Cog
2011-05-31, 11:29 PM
That is a no.

CrashTestGenius
2011-05-31, 11:32 PM
That is a no.

Ok. Thanks.

Runestar
2011-06-01, 04:19 AM
You will be a huge elemental dealing 2d6 base damage with your slams.

If you wish to seek further clarification, look at Seelah's stat block here.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060929a

It lists her dealing 2d6 damage with her slams in elemental form. :smallsmile:

Sucks, I know. I was so expecting 4d6 as well...:smallfrown: