PDA

View Full Version : Coldfire Dragon Statue [CR needed]

Anxe
2011-05-31, 11:36 PM
Hey guys,

I made this Dragon statue thing as one of the final monsters for my next campaign. It's supposed to be kinda like the Rancor in Star Wars 6 (or 3 or whatever. The Return of the Jedi). I've finished the stats and stuff, spoilered below. I'm having some trouble giving it a CR. I used Vorpal Tribble's system and I got 16, which seems rather low. I think 19 is good, but I'm looking for a second opinion.

Coldfire Dragon Statue: CR 19; Gargantuan Construct (Cold, Fire); HD 52d10+60; hp 346; Init -2; Spd 40 ft., fly 200 ft. (clumsy); AC 39, touch 4, flat-footed 39 [[+35 Natural, -2 Dex, -4 Size]]; Atk +56 melee 20 ft. [[+39 BAB, +21 Str, -4 Size]] (6d6+21 (Constitution Drain), Bite) and Atk +51/+51 melee 15 ft. [[+39 BAB, +21 Str, -4 Size, -5 Secondary Attack]] (3d8+10 (Constitution Drain), Claw) and Atk +51/+51 melee 15 ft. [[+39 BAB, +21 Str, -4 Size, -5 Secondary Attack]] (3d6+10, Wing) and Atk +51 melee 15 ft. [[+39 BAB, +21 Str, -4 Size, -5 Secondary Attack]] (3d8+31, Tail Slap) or Atk +72 melee 15 ft. [[+39 BAB, +21 Str, +12 Size]] (4d8+31, Grapple); SA Breath Weapon, Constitution Drain, Crush, Tail Sweep; SQ Construct Traits, Low-light Vision, Darkvision 120 ft., DR 15/magic and adamantine, SR 26, True Seeing, Immunities, Rise Again; AL TN; SV Fort +17, Ref +15, Will +18; Str 53, Dex 6, Con -, Int -, Wis 13, Cha 15.
Fluent Languages: Understands Common and Draconic.
Skills and Feats: None.
Breath Weapon (Su): Once every 1d4 rounds, a coldfire dragon statue can exhale a 50 foot line of coldfire that is 10 feet wide and 10 feet tall. The breath weapon deals 16d6 coldfire damage, half of which is cold and half of which is fire. A Reflex save DC 36 halves both types of damage.
Constitution Drain (Su): Living creatures hit by a coldfire dragon statue’s bite or claw attacks must succeed on a Fortitude save DC 36 or take 1d4 points of Constitution drain. On each successful drain, the coldfire dragon statue gains 5 temporary hit points. Temporary hit points gained in this manner last for up to 1 hour.
Crush (Ex): While a coldfire dragon statue is flying or jumping it can land on opponents as a standard action, using its whole body to crush them. Crush attacks are effective only against Medium or smaller opponents.
A crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under the coldfire dragon statue’s body. Creatures in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save DC 36 or be pinned automatically taking 4d8+31 bludgeoning damage during the next round unless the coldfire dragon statue moves off them. If the coldfire dragon statue chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape.
Tail Sweep (Ex): This special attack allows a coldfire dragon statue to sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 30 feet, extending from an intersection on the edge of the coldfire dragon statue’s space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are Small or smaller. A tail sweep automatically deals 4d8+31 points of damage. Affected creatures can attempt a Reflex save DC 36 to take half damage.
Construct Traits: Coldfire dragon statues are immune to all mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects. Coldfire dragon statues cannot heal damage on their own. Coldfire dragon statues are immune to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, energy drain, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless). Coldfire dragon statues are not at risk of death from massive damage and do not eat, sleep, or breathe.
True Seeing (Su): Coldfire dragon statues always see as if under the affect of a true seeing spell. This effect cannot be dispelled, but it can be suppressed with a dispel effect for 2d4 rounds.
Immunities (Ex): Coldfire dragon statues are immune to all cold and fire damage. If a coldfire dragon statue would take cold or fire damage it instead heals 1 hit point of damage for every 3 it would have taken. A coldfire dragon statue targeted with a transmute rock to mud spell slows it (as the slow spell) for 2d6 rounds, with no saving throw, while transmute mud to rock heals all its lost hit points and dispels any slow effect the coldfire dragon statue is already under.
Rise Again (Ex): Coldfire dragon statues aren’t truly dead if their bodies are still intact, even if they are at 0 or lower hit points. Coldfire dragon statues can be restored to life with their Immunities ability or with spells or effects that heal damage to constructs such as the repair spells. If a coldfire dragon statue is reduced to -100 hit points it cannot be restored unless it is put back into one piece with a make whole spell or similar effect.

The base creature I used was the Drakestone Golem from the Draconomicon.

arguskos
2011-06-01, 01:01 AM
At CR 19, you need to be able to survive easily 250-300 damage a round (and that's conservative), you need to have some powerful attack forms, you need to have some kind of impressive magical/supernatural/spell-like abilities, you need some high defenses (miss chance, out-right immunities, etc), and/or you need alternate forms of movement. With that in mind, let's take a look.

Survivability: You have 346 hp, AC 39, saves in the mid teens, and SR 26. Your average mage (here assumed to be level 17) is throwing out save DCs of easily 25-30, and likely higher, and probably has a caster level of 19-20, meaning he needs a SIX to breach your SR and that he has a, at worst, average chance for you to fail your saves. Fighters are hitting at easily +30 by now and are dealing hundreds of damage on full attacks without a problem (chargers are dealing in the 500 range without too much work). You last one round.

Offenses: You deal alright damage (240ish on a full attack with max damage where you land every hit). Con drain is fair at this level. Nothing special with your attack routine, but it's decent enough. The breath weapon is a joke. The half cold/half fire makes it PATHETIC. Crush and Tail Sweep are 100% irrelevant, dealing meh damage at best (Tail Sweep doesn't even hit Medium creatures).

Special Defenses: Standard construct and energy immunities. You're still subject to anything that a normal golem is. Fine, but unimpressive. Amusingly, because of the wording of construct immunities, ability penalties apply normally, and that Dex of 6 is BEGGING to be abused. :smalltongue:

Magical Abilities: You get true seeing. Alright, but nothing special. Your detection methods are disappointing, and Darkstalker single-handedly invalidates the entire critter (that's a big issue for a lot of things, to be fair). Rise Again is neat, I guess, but irrelevant in 99.99% of cases.

Movement: You can fly, clumsily if fast. Decent, but unimpressive. Anything with perfect maneuverability is going to be an issue.

Overall, I'd rank this a strong CR 16 or so. It's a great big pile of numbers, with little interesting to recommend it. If you have a low-op party, it can be a decent opponent at high levels, but honestly, I feel like a moderately well put together 12th-14th level party could just end this thing in a round or two.

Anxe
2011-06-01, 09:27 AM
Thanks! I'll go with 16 then.