PDA

View Full Version : Thought Experiment: High STR, Minimal Number of Attack Rolls

Zaq
2011-06-01, 02:03 AM
I have absolutely no idea where my brain is going with this, but what would you do with a character who has STR as a primary stat but who really doesn't care much for making attack rolls (or at least, no more attacks than necessary)? How would you make such a character anything other than a drain on the party? The best I can come up with is an Aeshkrau illumian who uses saveless spells, buffs, and combat maneuvers like bull rushes. Maybe a Favored Soul would be appropriate. I dunno.

Anyone got anything better? This isn't for anything specific. It's just a bizarre idea I had that's stuck in my brain for a while.

Thurbane
2011-06-01, 02:13 AM
Well, I'd probably get him into War Hulk, Survivor, and other PrCs with no attack progression.

Other than that, yep, Illumian for the bonus spells...

Hirax
2011-06-01, 02:16 AM
Leadership + might makes right. You now add your strength mod AND charisma mod to your leadership score. Add the extra followers feat if desired. Definitely not going to be welcome at every table, but having 2 stats go to leadership can get you a lot of followers at early levels.

edit: in fact, a 6th level character could use this to get followers of the same, or even a higher level than their cohort, theoretically, since there's no rule capping your follower's levels.

Zaq
2011-06-01, 02:19 AM
Well, I'd probably get him into War Hulk, Survivor, and other PrCs with no attack progression.

Other than that, yep, Illumian for the bonus spells...

Well, the point isn't to get a low attack bonus. The point is to choose to make very few attack rolls.

Again, no idea where I'm going with this.

NNescio
2011-06-01, 02:43 AM
Well, the point isn't to get a low attack bonus. The point is to choose to make very few attack rolls.

Again, no idea where I'm going with this.

Intimidate-build Barbarian with the Fearsome Gaze (Dragon Magazine) ACF?

Lonely Tylenol
2011-06-01, 06:03 AM
Gotta be War Hulk. Gains +2 STR every level, which means it gains a +1 to attack AND damage each level, but does not gain a Base Attack Bonus from level progression, meaning it continues to hit harder and harder as it levels, but does not gain more iterative attacks.

Runestar
2011-06-01, 06:07 AM
One idea is to run a warblade or crusader with the stance which lets you take 11. So you make one attack each round, and you don't have to roll for it (assuming you opt to take 11 on it). :smalltongue:

Feytalist
2011-06-01, 06:10 AM
You have mentioned that you have no idea where you are going with this, but I have to wonder what the worth is of such a character. One, extra powerful attack? Or is it simply for a lazy player who doesn't want to roll all those dice?

One possibility is of course a passive class like Dragon Shaman. Still has to make all those save rolls and breath attack rolls though. Is there any truly passive class?

Tvtyrant
2011-06-01, 07:27 AM
Dungeoncrasher? That feat that gives up iteratives to do double damage?

mabriss lethe
2011-06-01, 08:19 AM
You definitely want to use one of the classes from Tome of Battle.

Most martial strikes are standard actions, so you only get one of them per round. But they can hit very hard (or do any number of other things as well as/instead of damage).

Amphetryon
2011-06-01, 08:20 AM
A Duskblade or Hexblade base might be appropriate here. Arcane Strike on a self-buffed charge attack, probably with Knockback thrown in if possible to allow the rest of the party to clean up after you.

Benly
2011-06-01, 08:27 AM
My immediate thought is Grapple/Constrict optimization. One attack roll to start it, then it keeps going on grapple rolls.

big teej
2011-06-01, 04:35 PM
there was a video game (Dragon quest?)

that had a similar concept

there were two "tank" job/classes

the warrior, which was meant to deal consistent amounts of damage over teh course of the battle

and

the fighter, a class based around ending the fight in one, momentous blow.

I belive the OP is after a similiar tack.

Lans
2011-06-01, 05:47 PM
Dungeoncrasher? That feat that gives up iteratives to do double damage?

Thats actually a Fighter ACF.

Veyr
2011-06-01, 06:22 PM
I believe Tvtyrant was listing two separate options.