PDA

View Full Version : I Am Not Left Handed

Heliomance
2011-06-01, 03:40 AM
It's a classic trope, turns up a fair bit all over the place. Someone is fighting, and losing, when they suddenly reveal that they've been under a self-imposed handicap and not fighting to their full potential. On taking the fight seriously, everything turns around and the battle starts to go in their direction.

Is it possible to do this in D&D without being useless most of the time? How would one go about building a character that is reasonably competent most of the time, not a burden to the party, but that doesn't use everything he's got? So that when you start using your right hand/take your eyepatch off/suddenly discover sanity, you can kick ass and take names in a manner most righteous.

I imagine the easiest way to do it is to play a full caster, and simply avoid your most powerful and effective spells most of the time. But is it possible with a non-caster?

Incidentally, cookie for naming the three characters I referenced in the description of starting to fight seriously. Only half a cookie for the first one though, because it's easy.

Gwendol
2011-06-01, 03:52 AM
Weapon non-proficiency. Dealing subdual (non-lethal) damage. Wearing a ring of clumsiness.

NNescio
2011-06-01, 03:52 AM
It's a classic trope, turns up a fair bit all over the place. Someone is fighting, and losing, when they suddenly reveal that they've been under a self-imposed handicap and not fighting to their full potential. On taking the fight seriously, everything turns around and the battle starts to go in their direction.

Is it possible to do this in D&D without being useless most of the time? How would one go about building a character that is reasonably competent most of the time, not a burden to the party, but that doesn't use everything he's got? So that when you start using your right hand/take your eyepatch off/suddenly discover sanity, you can kick ass and take names in a manner most righteous.

I imagine the easiest way to do it is to play a full caster, and simply avoid your most powerful and effective spells most of the time. But is it possible with a non-caster?

Incidentally, cookie for naming the three characters I referenced in the description of starting to fight seriously. Only half a cookie for the first one though, because it's easy.

Non-full casters options:

ToB. Play like a Fighter. Unveil your manoeuvres when the going gets tough.

"*Clang* <Wall of Blades>
Warblade: I am left-handed."

Factotum. Font of Inspiration Nova. (Fits Deadpool really well.)

DFI Bard. Give a rousing speech that turn your party members (and yourself) into damage-dealing monsters. Bonus points if you use the UBW chant.

As for the characters: Indigo Montoya/Zaraki Kenpachi/Deadpool (or Hamlet)

Kantolin
2011-06-01, 03:53 AM
Interestingly, for this specific sequence, the Einhander feat from the PHB2 allows for this exactly - you can swap hands and gain a one-time bonus. Seems like a kind of weak feat, but there you go. ^_^

It looks like this would be best done on somes ort of gish. I'm seeing a psychic warrior who usually fights moderately, but pulls out all the stops when the going calls for it.

Heliomance
2011-06-01, 03:54 AM
As for the characters: Indigo Montoya/Zaraki Kenpachi/Deadpool (or Hamlet)

Close. I was going for River Tam for the last one.

CodeRed
2011-06-01, 03:54 AM
For a fighter type this is pretty easy to accomplish. Switch from using one hand on your bastard sword (requires EWP of course) to using both. Couple with the Exotic Weapon Master Prestige Class from Complete Warrior and the difference between 1h and 2h attacks becomes pretty massive (you shoot from x1 STR for 1h to x2 STR using both hands). Add in the bonuses of Power Attack being way superior for 2hers and it allows you to make a massive jump in damage potential. This happened in an episode of Bleach I saw late night on Adult Swim awhile back. This big dude with an eye-patch got it knocked off which revealed his real eye and his "true strength" for some reason. Furthermore, when that wasn't enough, he finally put both hands on his huge sword and beat his opponent with a single attack.

I speak a bit from experience with this as right now I'm playing in a campaign like this. My character is a lvl 5 Barbarian with the Whirling Frenzy variant and Improved Unarmed Strike so he can never be without a weapon in a fight. I keep a greatsword on my back but never unsheath it or rage until my opponent has "earned" the right to see my actual potential. If they start actually hurting me or my unarmed strikes don't do enough then he'll consider unsheathing his sword and/or raging. He's kind of a lazy jerk and refuses to use any more energy than absolutely necessary to defeat his foe. That being said, when a legitimate threat of death emerges, he gets really happy as he can cut loose with everything.

For everyone else, always hold a trump card. You may not always have some way to jump up your damage potential with your trump but often the unexpected nature of it can save your butt. For example, had a lvl 4 Rogue in a campaign I ran break out of jail using nothing but a Boot Blade which he disguised with a 20 roll on Sleight of Hand. I let him use it as an improvised lockpick and then he proceeded to fight his way out with it as well.

EDIT: Swordsage'd! Kenpachi was that dude's name on Bleach. Don't really watch the show so kinda blanked on it a bit.

NNescio
2011-06-01, 04:19 AM
Interestingly, for this specific sequence, the Einhander feat from the PHB2 allows for this exactly - you can swap hands and gain a one-time bonus. Seems like a kind of weak feat, but there you go. ^_^

It looks like this would be best done on somes ort of gish. I'm seeing a psychic warrior who usually fights moderately, but pulls out all the stops when the going calls for it.

Monk 2/ Psy War X with Talashtora. Pretend to be a normal monk.

Could work with an Unarmed Swordsage as well.

--
More non-full-caster options:

Artificer. Technically not a full caster. How much money are you willing to spend for that shot?

Binder. Let's you literally go all One-winged Angel, with the proper vestige.

Wildshape Ranger. "I am not just a ranger."

FyreByrd
2011-06-01, 04:22 AM
The above would all work fine....but I was thinking about it in a different way.

How about a Homebrewed skill trick (from complete scoundrel), something like this:

Switch Hands[Manipulation]
You suddenly switch the hand you hold your blade in, confusing your enemy, and allowing you to strike to his vulnerable side.
Prerequisites:
Tumble 10 ranks, Sleight of Hand 5 ranks, Bluff 5 ranks must be using a one handed melee weapon
Benefit:
Your next melee attack is counted as a touch attack, instead of a standard attack.

Obviously the prereq's could be played with. I'd be inclined to make it a swift action to switch hands, but again, dependent on DM. Also could include a reflex save for the opponent if you wished.

This obviously isn't a character with a willing handicap, more a combat move, but skill tricks need more love anyway!

Ashram
2011-06-01, 04:24 AM
Pathfinder-style:

Magus: Contrary to popular belief, you're actually more deadly with a weapon in ONE hand instead of two. Why? Because your other hand has a touch spell in it. :smallwink: Two-hand your weapon to throw your enemies off, then get in close and use Spell Combat; a sword hit or two and then a touch spell later and they'll think differently.

NNescio
2011-06-01, 04:29 AM
The above would all work fine....but I was thinking about it in a different way.

How about a Homebrewed skill trick (from complete scoundrel), something like this:

Obviously the prereq's could be played with. I'd be inclined to make it a swift action to switch hands, but again, dependent on DM. Also could include a reflex save for the opponent if you wished.

This obviously isn't a character with a willing handicap, more a combat move, but skill tricks need more love anyway!

"Target opponent is considered flatfooted" would fit the fluff better, and can potentially be more powerful. Touch Attacks don't make much sense against a target with high NA.

Feytalist
2011-06-01, 04:33 AM
I've always liked the idea of permanent enlarge/reduce person tricks.

Take a large character, give him a ring of reduce person. When the going gets tough: "No, I'm actually 7 feet tall." Proceed with the arse-kicking.

Somewhat related: I've tried building this character as a spear-thrower/axe thrower, but it never really got off the ground. ...did I just make a pun?

DragonOfUndeath
2011-06-01, 04:38 AM
Play a Psion, never fully Augment and keep a few Cognizance Crystals hidden on your body.
When the going gets tough... The tough throw a fully-augmented Crystal Shard into their opponents face followed by a Psychic Crush on another guy.

FyreByrd
2011-06-01, 04:38 AM
"Target opponent is considered flatfooted" would fit the fluff better, and can potentially be more powerful. Touch Attacks don't make much sense against a target with high NA.

Yeah I was considering going that route as well...I guess I was too much in the image of dueling fencers and forgot the whole natural armour thing!

Wings of Peace
2011-06-01, 04:39 AM
Wield a one handed weapon by itself, part way through the fight grip it in two hands to double your Power Attack output, rename yourself to Kenpachi.

ILM
2011-06-01, 04:48 AM
Take a large character, give him a ring of reduce person. When the going gets tough: "No, I'm actually 7 feet tall." Proceed with the arse-kicking.
I like the dragon version: play a Gold Dragon polymorphed under human form. "No, I'm actually a huge dragon."

Feytalist
2011-06-01, 04:53 AM
I like the dragon version: play a Gold Dragon polymorphed under human form. "No, I'm actually a huge dragon."

Yeah, one of my games has a polymorphed gold dragon ally for the PC's. I had to drop fairly serious hints before they finally realized the strange old guy was not all that he seemed.

NichG
2011-06-01, 04:54 AM
My character in the current campaign I'm in (highly homebrewed, post-epic game) uses several forms of self-limit on and off.

First and primarily, a by-the-book method: he's a Cleric/Swordsage, so if he's fighting will all his power he uses the Boots of Temporal Acceleration to pop a quick Timestop and then buffs with Miracle'd Giant Size, Miracle'd Owl's Insight (uncapped Wisdom boost combined with stupid-high caster level and Wis to everything build), and Divine Power. Normally though he doesn't use those tricks, and is still easily potent enough to contribute. It helps that other party members also have tricks up their sleeve that they only pull out when the going gets tough.

Homebrew methods used:

- He developed a power that lets him multiply all his statistics by a variable fraction (less than one) during an encounter. 50% makes for a nice challenge against lower-power things, and 20% is good for going incognito in more mundane places. Ask your DM if he'd let you use some sort of 'holding back' mechanic (take a voluntary penalty to checks, etc).

- There are items called 'soulgems' in this campaign which can massively boost stats. For awhile, he kept his soulgems sealed with a custom item and released the seal when the fight was sufficiently serious. For a by-the-book equivalent, you could walk around inside an antimagic field and have a way to turn it off when you're ready to get serious.

- The party had access to what amounts to a magical location that massively increased our power, but we decided to keep it sealed away for a time of need so that our enemies would be surprised by our sudden jump in power level. That idea didn't last terribly long though.

Generally, the main problem has been determining when to unleash full power. Really serious things don't give you three rounds to tell that they're serious - by that time you're dead. So he's been caught in a weak state in a few surprise rounds/etc and has gotten in trouble because of that.

Jair Barik
2011-06-01, 04:56 AM
Halfling druid pretending to be a dog riding outrider instead.
'And now I'm a bear'

Alternatively if you want to go for the 'that isn't incense'/'my ships trailing mines' route I seem to recall a forgotten realms character had a funny trick...

-Throws amulet at opponent
'did you just throw an amulet at me? seriously? why?
'That's no amulet (dispels polymorph on amulet) thats an ooze'

NNescio
2011-06-01, 05:07 AM
Yeah, one of my games has a polymorphed gold dragon ally for the PC's. I had to drop fairly serious hints before they finally realized the strange old guy was not all that he seemed.

Was he named Fizban, by any chance?

DragonOfUndeath
2011-06-01, 05:12 AM
Fizban is...odd
For a God he doesn't seem that Divine, more funny and mortal. But then again, it was probably the whole No-Divine Intervention bit

Lord.Sorasen
2011-06-01, 05:15 AM
Halfling druid pretending to be a dog riding outrider instead.
'And now I'm a bear'

Halfling druid pretending to be halfling outrider's dog.

Feytalist
2011-06-01, 05:54 AM

Heh no, not Fizban. Heavily inspired, though. Guess my players don't pay all that much attention.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-06-01, 06:08 AM
You don't need to be blind to blindfight...
:smallwink:

Cespenar
2011-06-01, 06:20 AM
Druid is essentially this on its own. You're a spellcaster with a fighter companion. Already, like, a character and a half. And when the going somehow would get tough: "Wait, you turn into WHAT now?"

paddyfool
2011-06-01, 06:53 AM
Frenzied Berserker: because you wouldn't want to press that button in most circumstances anyway. Bonus marks if you act like a totally reasonable and mild-mannered person ordinarily.

The Psion/Psi-Warrior suggestions are good, because you can be plenty effective while sticking to effects that aren't too obvious, before ever actually revealing your true power and going nova.

Anyone with a very powerful one-shot magic item. For instance, any caster with a scroll carrying a spell of a level higher than they can cast, and a reasonable chance of being able to use it successfully. (Bonus marks if you cast a [casting stat] boosting spell first, to no apparent effect, and only then pull out your scroll of Gate/Shapechange/Wish/Whatever).

Quietus
2011-06-01, 07:06 AM
Druid is essentially this on its own. You're a spellcaster with a fighter companion. Already, like, a character and a half. And when the going somehow would get tough: "Wait, you turn into WHAT now?"

This is the route I took. Elven druid, snake theme, snake companion, we ended up fighting a green dragon inside a magical aging field. DM had expected our sorcerer to go all turret-gun style, and our barbarian to smash face. Instead the sorcerer had an attack of conscience due to recent roleplay stuff, refusing to attack the dragon because we hadn't seen it doing anything evil. It was holding up a siege for the forces of Hextor outside of some allied dwarven tunnels, but whatever. The barbarian wussed out and took potshots with his bow. And the dragon was gaining age categories.

Dire ape + animal growth + shillelagh + stoneskin = King Kong vs. Godzilla. King Kong won, barely. And almost went into middle age for her troubles.

ILM
2011-06-01, 07:10 AM
Druid is essentially this on its own. You're a spellcaster with a fighter companion.
More to the point, you're a bear - than can cast spells! If mauling somebody's face doesn't seem to work, see how he likes a flame strike or seven! :smallbiggrin:

Benly
2011-06-01, 07:25 AM
Dire ape + animal growth + shillelagh + stoneskin = King Kong vs. Godzilla. King Kong won, barely. And almost went into middle age for her troubles.

You should've stayed in there longer - aging is awesome for druids. Wisdom bonus in exchange for penalties that mostly go away when you wild shape, hooray!

Tvtyrant
2011-06-01, 07:29 AM

I think you mean Gandalf :smallamused:

DragonOfUndeath
2011-06-01, 08:00 AM
I think you mean Gandalf :smallamused:

Gandalf is an Aasimar, not a Polymorphed Dragon

Greenish
2011-06-01, 08:12 AM
Gandalf is an Aasimar, not a Polymorphed DragonHe's not, aasimar have human blood. Gandalf's a purebred celestial.

Avaris
2011-06-01, 08:13 AM
While its not within the standard rules, I just had an amusing (and possibly broken) idea for a feat to this effect.

I am not left handed!
When making your first attack of the encounter against an opponent, you may make a bluff check (opposed by the opponent's sense motive). If you succeed, you may take a penalty up to -5 to your BAB for this round, which can be added to your BAB (and damage?) on a subsequent round. For each round you wish to maintain this 'stored' BAB you must succeed on a bluff check; if you fail, you may immediately use up to half the stored BAB on your next attack; the rest is wasted. If you pass, you may again take a penalty of up to -5 on your BAB; this stacks with the previous round's stored BAB.

Anxe
2011-06-01, 09:38 AM
Kenzer released a book on dueling that has a feat for just that sort of situation! The feat allows you to fool your opponent and gain an attack of opportunity by switching your hands. The book can be found here. (http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_49&products_id=233)

ericgrau
2011-06-01, 09:50 AM
The problem with such a build is that once you're already losing you've greatly decrease your chances of winning even if fighting at full potential. I think the solution may be to use emergency one-offs like expendable items, a spell storing weapon or ring, the right kind of contingency spell, etc.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-01, 09:58 AM
Gandalf is an Aasimar, not a Polymorphed Dragon

Fisban wasn't a dragon either; the point was the super-being traveling in the group in disguise. Gandalf is an older example of this, so I was one upping by going back in time to an older source of cred. Now the joke is ruined via explanation :smallfurious:

marcielle
2011-06-01, 10:30 AM
There are tons of awesome tricks using psion shaper( a psion concentrating on metacreativity). Basically, despite giving off the impression you SHOULD make something akin to a golem to fight for you, there are few limits to astral constructs. You can play a normal psionic character and then suddenlly give yourself POWER ARMOR like some magical anime teenager. Alternatively, if you're opponent has a low STR score, imagine an airtight bubble around his head/strangling collar/ encase him in an astral construct and force him to beat his own allies senseless. Otherwise, just play normally and use your powers to create boring stuff like ectogolems and stuff. The uses of astral construct are limited to your imagination so just have something like split personalities on your character or a self imposed mental block.
Everything you need is right here:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10279.0

Typewriter
2011-06-01, 10:48 AM
For a nice simple one... use a bastard sword in one hand while your other hand is in a sling, appearing broken. When you're in trouble though you throw off the fake sling and grab your sword with two hands and dominate.

RndmNumGen
2011-06-01, 10:54 AM
Wouldn't this work with a Barbarian?

Step 1: Pretend to be a normal fighter.

Step 2: RAAAAAAAAGGGEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Greenish
2011-06-01, 11:04 AM
Wouldn't this work with a Barbarian?

Step 1: Pretend to be a normal fighter.

Step 2: RAAAAAAAAGGGEEEEEEE!!!!!!Better yet, a hulk build. Be small and weak normally, then Rage, grow Large and get insane str bonuses.

Tokuhara
2011-06-01, 11:05 AM
For a nice simple one... use a bastard sword in one hand while your other hand is in a sling, appearing broken. When you're in trouble though you throw off the fake sling and grab your sword with two hands and dominate.

In short: play Auron from FFX...

I also suggest a "False Zatoichi" ploy: Pretend to be blind (much more fun with an older character), wear the magic blindfold that lets you see, etc, then when a fight gets ugly, rip the blindfold off and open a can of pain

Cespenar
2011-06-01, 11:06 AM
Better yet, a hulk build. Be small and weak normally, then Rage, grow Large and get insane str bonuses.

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

Greenish
2011-06-01, 11:09 AM
I also suggest a "False Zatoichi" ploy: Pretend to be blind (much more fun with an older character), wear the magic blindfold that lets you see, etc, then when a fight gets ugly, rip the blindfold off and open a can of painGiven that said blindfold actually gives you Blindsight, you'd be better off with it in close-range combat (and if you did ranged, well, you wouldn't benefit from the blindfold).

Kaeso
2011-06-01, 11:19 AM
Better yet, a hulk build. Be small and weak normally, then Rage, grow Large into a f*cking bear and get insane str bonuses.

Corrected :smallwink:

Djekar
2011-06-01, 11:26 AM
These are all excellent ideas. I have to ask though,
... the magic blindfold that lets you see... where is that from? My developmental blind Warblade would love to get a look at that.

Taelas
2011-06-01, 11:28 AM
These are all excellent ideas. I have to ask though, where is that from? My developmental blind Warblade would love to get a look at that.

Arms and Equipment Guide. Blindfold of True Darkness.

Tokuhara
2011-06-01, 11:30 AM
Arms and Equipment Guide. Blindfold of True Darkness.

Also available in Magic Items Compendium

Taelas
2011-06-01, 11:32 AM
Ah, so it is. Good, since AE&G is 3.0.

NNescio
2011-06-01, 11:49 AM
Fisban wasn't a dragon either; the point was the super-being traveling in the group in disguise. Gandalf is an older example of this, so I was one upping by going back in time to an older source of cred. Now the joke is ruined via explanation :smallfurious:

Fizban is Bahamut. Also known as the Platinum Dragon, and is the God of All Good Dragons.

Of course, if we want to continue this game of one-upmanship... :smallwink:

Odin.

Vulaas
2011-06-01, 12:15 PM
When I read the 'take off the eyepatch' part, I thought King Bradley from Full Metal Alchemist.

Anyway, as far as actual suggestions go, the warblade suggestion is very solid, maybe going so far as to not even keep a stance active until you decide to get serious about things. Otherwise, outside of casting, I'm really not sure what would do that mechanic well, other than a TWF Ranger pretending to be a standard sword and board before bashing you in the face with their shield as an extra weapon.

Oh! Or with a gish stay Alter Self'd into a less physically imposing form than usual, and then dismiss it and go to town.

Taelas
2011-06-01, 12:44 PM
Fizban is Bahamut. Also known as the Platinum Dragon, and is the God of All Good Dragons.
Eh, not quite.

Bahamut and Tiamat have very similar counterparts in Dragonlance (Paladine and Takhisis, respectively), but according to Tracy Hickman, the creator of Dragonlance, they are separate beings.

NNescio
2011-06-01, 12:55 PM
Eh, not quite.

Bahamut and Tiamat have very similar counterparts in Dragonlance (Paladine and Takhisis, respectively), but according to Tracy Hickman, the creator of Dragonlance, they are separate beings.

Okay, Bah'mut. The rest of the line still applies.

paddyfool
2011-06-01, 01:01 PM
When I read the 'take off the eyepatch' part, I thought King Bradley from Full Metal Alchemist.

Same here, although I wasn't sure.

So far, I think the Bearbarian is the best example of this. Although the Factotum would fit one of the source characters far better... (that whole duel was pretty much Factotum vs Swashbuckler).

IthroZada
2011-06-01, 07:50 PM
You can always pull a Man With No Name, and use your left hand exclusively to the point where people think your right arm is non-functioning. Then draw and shoot. Or swing I guess. This not being a Western and all.

FMArthur
2011-06-01, 07:58 PM
Combat Expertise is a pretty good way to rein-in one's offenses while doing something to preserve you and your organs' happy marriage for the time when you do decide that you want to really fight seriously. Even better is if your group decides that HP damage is more wear and energy loss than actual injury, because then you can pretty much give the same signs without actually taking hits.

It's also required for Improved Trip and Improved Feint, the former being super common for melee anyway and the latter just fitting the fencer's fighting style well.

Greenish
2011-06-01, 08:06 PM
Combat Expertise is a pretty good way to rein-in one's offenses while doing something to preserve you and your organs' happy marriage for the time when you do decide that you want to really fight seriously.Also, Kalashtar can do interesting things with it.

Taelas
2011-06-01, 08:15 PM
Okay, Bah'mut. The rest of the line still applies.

Paladine isn't a dragon, so no.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-01, 08:21 PM

Of course, if we want to continue this game of one-upmanship... :smallwink:

Odin.
I don't remember Odin appearing as a companion to mortals in any story:smallconfused:

He had some ones where he showed up at people's houses and then revealed he was a god when the timing was right, but nothing like Sigurd and Odin go on an adventure comes up in my brain.

And being the God of dragons isn't quite the same as being a dragon, but I do concede the point.

jmelesky
2011-06-01, 08:52 PM
I don't remember Odin appearing as a companion to mortals in any story:smallconfused:

He had some ones where he showed up at people's houses and then revealed he was a god when the timing was right, but nothing like Sigurd and Odin go on an adventure comes up in my brain.

In the Ring Cycle, Wotan (off-screen, between operas 1 and 2) spent time in the mortal realm, fathering and then raising Siegmund, as well as planting a sword for him to find later. He did all of this under the guise of "Walse". Siegmund never figured out his dad was a god, though his son Siegfried probably did.

That's based loosely on the Saga of the Volsungs, a clan of people descended directly from Odin in (disguised) mortal form.

Fable Wright
2011-06-01, 08:57 PM
Also, Kalashtar can do interesting things with it.

Kalashtar Psiwarrior w/Combat expertise and Dancing with the Shadows would probably fit this role pretty well...