PDA

View Full Version : Ways to extend range of War Chanter's Inspire Legion

ILM
2011-06-01, 04:21 AM
The ability says "allies within 60 ft and who can hear the Chanter", basically. Now I can boost the distance at which he can be heard to an arbitrarily high one, but this 60 ft thing has me stumped. Aside from Enlarge (or Widen, whatever) Supernatural Ability, which is a whole feat for one use per day, is there anything that might let me apply that to a wider area - say, an entire battlefield?

edit: the Admiral's Bicorne's description reads "The wearer’s voice is magically amplified, so that it can be heard clearly by anyone within 100 feet; class features and effects that depend on hearing the speaker benefit from the increased range." Inspire Legion does depend on hearing the speaker, right? So should it be extended to 100 ft?

Big Fau
2011-06-01, 04:32 AM
The ability says "allies within 60 ft and who can hear the Chanter", basically. Now I can boost the distance at which he can be heard to an arbitrarily high one, but this 60 ft thing has me stumped. Aside from Enlarge (or Widen, whatever) Supernatural Ability, which is a whole feat for one use per day, is there anything that might let me apply that to a wider area - say, an entire battlefield?

edit: the Admiral's Bicorne's description reads "The wearer’s voice is magically amplified, so that it can be heard clearly by anyone within 100 feet; class features and effects that depend on hearing the speaker benefit from the increased range." Inspire Legion does depend on hearing the speaker, right? So should it be extended to 100 ft?

The Bicorne works. I seem to recall an item that lets you be heard out to one mile, but I have no idea where it is.

Optimator
2011-06-01, 04:35 AM
There's a spell in Heroes of Battle that amplifies the casters voice out to a range of 100 feet per level or something. From the ability's description is sure sounds like 60 feet is the maximum range though.

ILM
2011-06-01, 04:41 AM
There's a spell in Heroes of Battle that amplifies the casters voice out to a range of 100 feet per level or something. From the ability's description is sure sounds like 60 feet is the maximum range though.
Yeah but as you say, it only allows you to be heard clearly at 100 ft/CL. Does nothing to the 60 ft limitation on Inspire Legion (though it's great for Inspire Courage). Only the weird wording on the Bicorne lets me think I could get it to apply.

I seem to recall an item that lets you be heard out to one mile, but I have no idea where it is.
The Alphorn but a) it's 3.0, b) it's an alphorn, kind of clunky, and c) it specifically only works for IC, IG and countersong. :smallfrown:

Feytalist
2011-06-01, 04:42 AM
This might not be the intended point, but as far as I can remember the boost stays with the allies for x rounds after the stop hearing it, right? So have the war chanter just move through the crowd, bolstering them as he goes.

Evokes images of the commander going around talking to every squad personally before battle. Also of Theoden riding up and down the Rohirim at the siege of Minas Tirith. Or of Aragorn doing the same at the Black Gates.

ILM
2011-06-01, 05:34 AM
This might not be the intended point, but as far as I can remember the boost stays with the allies for x rounds after the stop hearing it, right? So have the war chanter just move through the crowd, bolstering them as he goes.

Evokes images of the commander going around talking to every squad personally before battle. Also of Theoden riding up and down the Rohirim at the siege of Minas Tirith. Or of Aragorn doing the same at the Black Gates.
True but 10 rounds isn't anything in a battle that can last hours, just like 60 ft isn't anything in a battle that can span for miles (ok, maybe hundreds of yards, you get my point). Also, you only have so many uses of bardic music a day. Finally, Inspire Legion specifically states that the effect only lasts as long as they stay within range. And since it's technically War Chanter music and not Bardic music, I don't even think a Harmonizing weapon can pick up the song...

Feytalist
2011-06-01, 05:57 AM
True but 10 rounds isn't anything in a battle that can last hours, just like 60 ft isn't anything in a battle that can span for miles (ok, maybe hundreds of yards, you get my point). Also, you only have so many uses of bardic music a day. Finally, Inspire Legion specifically states that the effect only lasts as long as they stay within range. And since it's technically War Chanter music and not Bardic music, I don't even think a Harmonizing weapon can pick up the song...

Meh, worth a shot. Although, I think that any bardic music analogue (War Chanter music, Seeker music, Virtuoso music, etc) behaves exactly as bardic music would. A songblade should work, and so should a harmonising weapon. I might be off by RAW, though.

Person_Man
2011-06-01, 08:17 AM
There's a feat called Dilate Aura that might work. I think it's in Dragon Magic. Of course I'm not sure that a War Chanter's music technically counts as an aura, I'm AFB right now.

Big Fau
2011-06-01, 08:58 AM
There's a feat called Dilate Aura that might work. I think it's in Dragon Magic. Of course I'm not sure that a War Chanter's music technically counts as an aura, I'm AFB right now.

FC2 has it.

The Gilded Duke
2011-06-01, 01:53 PM
One of the monstrous manuals, the one with the vampires with classes has an item, I think Helm of the Wolf or something. Makes it so you can be heard up to 1 mile, doesn't do anything about ability range limitations though, it seems the bicorn might be the way to go.

Big Fau
2011-06-01, 06:33 PM
One of the monstrous manuals, the one with the vampires with classes has an item, I think Helm of the Wolf or something. Makes it so you can be heard up to 1 mile, doesn't do anything about ability range limitations though, it seems the bicorn might be the way to go.

That's MM5, and the item makes no mention of if it affects class features or not. It's also overpriced for a 1/day Greater Shout, a spell that isn't very good.