View Full Version : [Exalted] Devil-Tiger Charms

Xefas
2011-06-01, 04:34 AM
Tiger Devours Impotent Cubs
Cost: -; Mins: Essence 6; Type: Permanent
Keywords: Heretical
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Triumphant Howl of the Devil Tiger

The Devil-Tiger has proclaimed his legend for all to hear. The Primordials of old are lesser; weaker than he. They are the worthless vestiges of a failed prototype species whose sole purpose was the manufacturing of a new, perfect form of life. As that perfect being, all others are unnecessary beneath your gaze. They are not fit to live in this world - in your world.

Spirits slain by the Infernal do not disperse and reform. They merely lay as a carcass at the Infernal's feet. They cannot speak nor take actions, though they can see and hear. As a miscellaneous action, the Infernal may gesture over the corpse, and give mercy to the fallen, allowing the spirit to reform as it normally would - although they gain an intimacy of fear towards the Infernal as they know all too well what might have happened.

Alternatively, and more likely, the Infernal may feast upon the spirit-flesh of the creature, killing it utterly, and robbing it of its ability to return to life while also restoring (Infernal's Essence x 2) of the Infernal's motes. Spirits so killed become intertwined with the Devil-Tiger's legend; not an important passage by any means, but rather a footnote proclaiming his savage glory, and the assertion of his dominance over so pitiful a being. Those that view the Infernal with Essence Sight see, trailing behind him, a list of his victims, their last words, and the demises they suffered.

A second purchase allows the Infernal to attain even further sustenance from his spiritual meals. When he devours a spirit carcass, he may roll his (Essence + Willpower), gleaning one piece of useful information per success rolled that the spirit would have known in the form of memories and experiences integrated into the Infernal's own mind and soul. The Infernal may choose specific memories he would like to go for (such as "The happiest moment in the spirit's life."), or simply general guidelines ("Stuff involving martial arts."). If no guidelines are given, then particularly vivid memories involving the spirit's intimacies appear first and foremost.

If the Devil-Tiger integrates at least (Spirit's Essence) memories into himself, then the essential network of the universe becomes confused, mistaking the subsumed lines in the Infernal's legend for the spirit in question. When an effect would discern the specific identity of an individual, the Infernal may choose to be considered one such integrated spirit (though he does not stop being considered himself).

For example, a manse designed to read the Essence signature of "Nara-O" and open only for them, would recognize the Infernal as Nara-O after they have feasted on that spirit. A binding spiritual oath to "Serve Ahlat" would be just as binding to an Infernal that has integrated Ahlat with himself.

The Infernal can always choose to just not be considered a particular spirit if he does not wish to be.

Titanic Resorption Imposition
Prerequisite Charms: The Flame of the Rising Phoenix, Tiger Devours Impotent Cubs (x2)

The perfection that is the Devil-Tiger was birthed from the union of two Primordials. Low and pathetic as they are, they served a valuable purpose, providing the building blocks to something greater. Still, that does not afford them mercy - just as a feeble twin is devoured in the womb to feed the stronger child in his preparation for life, so too is it the place of the fallen titans to be food for the Tiger.

When the Infernal devours the carcass of a Primordial's fetich or jouten via Tiger Devours Impotent Cubs, for which he utilized a charm of as a prerequisite for Triumphant Howl of the Devil-Tiger, he consumes so much more than a fleeting name. As the vast motonic substrata of the Primordial explodes and swirls around the Infernal, formless in the purest expression of itself, it is denied both a reconstitution into a new form, and the eternal nightmare of the Neverborn. Instead, it is consumed wholesale by the Heretical Exaltation.

Firstly, the Infernal's mind, soul, and very being are warped and twisted by the influx of power. They attain the full knowledge of the consumed Primordial's likely eon-spanning memory as it mixes with their own. Their Excellency, Devil-Tiger Charm Set, Caste, physical appearance, and personality incorporate at least one aspect of the fallen titan if they did not sufficiently already. The tale of the Primordial is overlaid with the Devil-Tiger, and though the Infernal likely appears as a mere man, the universe has trouble distinguishing the two in the same way as spirits that have been integrated perfectly with the second purchase of "Tiger Devours Impotent Cubs".

Were a fellow Yozi to lay eyes upon a Devil-Tiger that has consumed Malfeas, for instance, they would not only see the Infernal, but their king as well - and not just their bleeding, wretched, shattered king, but a new king; an ascended, glorious being all wrath and wonder and worship. Oaths made to that king would still bind, should the Tiger choose it.

Secondly, the Devil-Tiger loses all charms that he knew from the consumed Primordial's charm tree, converting them into experience which he may only use to purchase charms from his own unique charm tree - preferably charms that incorporate aspects and themes from the Primordial in question. If that Primordial was Favored for him, it loses that distinction, and a new Favored Primordial may be reflexively chosen at a later date.

Ruinous Soul Bibliography
Prerequisite Charms: Tiger Devours Impotent Cubs (x2), Spirit of the Living World

While the final, perfect product of the Devil Tiger is undeniably existent for all the world to see, as one unified work of magnificence, it may amuse him to look back upon the words and volumes that compose the whole.

Upon taking this charm, a Memetic Simulacrum appears in the Infernal's inner world; one for each spirit he has consumed with Tiger Devours Impotent Cubs. It has no statistics, nor charms - it is a mere consciousness, with an illusory body appearing identical to the one which they had in life, composed of what information the Devil Tiger knew about them, as well as what memories of their own that he integrated with himself. So, too, does there exist a memory-construct of the Infernal's mortal self, prior to their Second Breath - the foundation of what would come.

The constructs may be spoken to, and will respond in kind, as closely as they are able, given the information contained within them. It is possible that such beings retain the solipsistic string of consciousness that inhabited their old form, as if their journey from the outside world into the Infernal's stomach were a nightly slumber from which they emerged with incomplete memories. It is, however, unlikely.

If the Infernal has consumed a Primordial with Titanic Resorption Imposition, the Primordial so represented also supplies Memetic Simulacra of their Third Circle and Second Circle souls, although it is unlikely that any First Circle souls stick out in their memory vividly enough to count. Because the catalog of their memory is so perfect, these Simulacra may even tutor beings that can appear in the Infernal's inner world so far as their own Primordial or Spirit charms are concerned. The Infernal has no particular way of controlling the behavior of Memetic Simulacra, so such cooperation is not guaranteed.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-01, 04:58 AM
These charms really seem more Malfaen than anything...

Xefas
2011-06-01, 05:11 AM
These charms really seem more Malfaen than anything...

I was going for more Infernal Monster.

Primal Fury
2011-06-01, 12:34 PM
Tiger Devours Impotent Cubs
I like this, but I'd include some sort of immediate benefit from devouring spirits.

Titanic Resorption Imposition
This is... odd. I understand that it affects the charm cascades, but what about the Devil-Tiger's excellency?

Xefas
2011-06-01, 03:13 PM
I like this, but I'd include some sort of immediate benefit from devouring spirits.

The obvious one is regaining motes, but that's not nearly weird enough. I like the idea of devouring their identity. Maybe something like, you effectively steal their Cult. Folks pray to them, but you've eaten their name, and so the prayers go to you.

Or maybe you can make an Essence + Willpower roll to glean useful information from the memory of the dead spirit you're eating.

Maybe a scene-long Excellency cost reduction? You've imposed your self onto the world.

This is... odd. I understand that it affects the charm cascades, but what about the Devil-Tiger's excellency?

Yes, that too.

Primal Fury
2011-06-01, 05:34 PM
Yes, that too.
Would you mind giving me an example? I'm having a bit of a hard time visualizing this charm in action.

The obvious one is regaining motes, but that's not nearly weird enough.
That seems fine as a base effect. The others you mentioned can be added with expansion charms.

Xefas
2011-06-01, 07:15 PM
Alright, I added some essence recovery, and a second purchase, to Tiger Devours Impotent Cubs. And one or two little lines to Titanic Resorption Imposition (plus requiring the second purchase of TDIC, as it seemed appropriate).

Would you mind giving me an example? I'm having a bit of a hard time visualizing this charm in action.

Mmmkay. I guess, first, lets take an example Devil-Tiger. I'll use Infinite Cosmic Mugen, a reject of mine from a PbP game.

He's taken 90% Malfeas charms, and just a few Adorjan charms to grab Scarlet Rapture Shintai to qualify for Triumphant Howl of the Devil-Tiger, and so far he's gone up to Face of the Titans.

His Excellency looks a bit like this:

First Infinite Cosmic Mugen Excellency
Cost: 1m per die; Mins: Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-OK
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: None

The Endless Starfire perceives all boundaries. To him, they exist in only two distinctions. Internally, he puts blockades between himself and the world, for he fears losing what is his by right. Externally, all restrictions are a mocking blasphemy to his glorious name, and he must annihilate them for their most heinous crime of daring to suggest that he could not do so. Any barrier outside himself, either physical or metaphorical, is a direct affront to the Infinite Cosmos.

In whatever endeavor he chooses to partake in, Mugen favors analyzing his opposition for as long as possible, finding weak points, but taking no direct action. He fears acting too soon and exposing himself. Then, in an instant, he commits all possible resources, and consumes his foe utterly in an unquenchable inferno of cosmic flame, preferring merciless overkill to make absolute certain that there can be no retribution. The Infinite Cosmos does not harm without reason, but when he chooses to do harm, he leaves no survivors. If his single strike fails, he retreats in shame and terror to prepare his revenge.

Characters may apply this charm in any situation in which they seek to analyze or size-up the competition. This can never be subtle, for it is not the nature of the Endless Starfire to hide himself or his intentions. His foes must see him coming, and surprise attacks are completely out of the question. Furthermore, it is always justifiable to use this charm in the destruction of a restriction or barrier that would dare to inhibit the actions of the Infernal. This could include slaughtering an advancing army between the Infernal and his goal, campaigning against a law prohibiting him from being with his lover, or altering the native language of a region so that the Infernal may do business there.

---

I know it's not a great excellency, thrown together on the spot, but it's an example. So, he's also gotten this great charm tree with super-essence-sight, and lots of Malfeas-esque Hardness, and Kamehameha-style charge-up-and-then-massive-damage charms. And his caste abilities are (Resistance, Investigation, Awareness, Integrity, and Melee) and his appearance has been changed to incorporate hair and eyes of white-hot fire.

---

So, then, he kills and eats Adorjan.

---

Now, his Excellency might look like this:

First Infinite Cosmic Mugen Excellency
Cost: 1m per die; Mins: Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-OK
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: None

The Endless Starfire perceives all boundaries. To her, they are all mocking blasphemies to his glorious name, eternally proclaiming her ineptitude until he crushes them into silence. All restriction is anathema to her, for he wishes to have none, though she is cursed to never feel truly free.

In whatever endeavor he chooses to partake in, Mugen favors analyzing her opposition for as long as possible, finding weak points, but taking no direct action. He wishes to savor in knowing and exposing their flaws and imperfection, that they might know their inevitable doom. Then, in an instant, she commits all possible resources, and consumes his foe utterly in an unquenchable inferno of cosmic flame, preferring merciless overkill to make absolute certain that there can be no retribution. The Infinite Cosmos does not harm without reason, but when she chooses to do harm, he leaves no survivors. If his single strike fails, she retreats in rage and confusion to prepare his revenge.

Characters may apply this charm in any situation in which they seek to analyze or size-up the competition. This can never be subtle, for it is not the nature of the Endless Starfire to hide herself or his intentions. His foes must see her coming, and surprise attacks are completely out of the question. Furthermore, it is always justifiable to use this charm in the destruction of a restriction or barrier that would dare to inhibit the actions of the Infernal. This could include slaughtering an advancing army between the Infernal and his goal, campaigning against a law prohibiting him from being with his lover, or altering the native language of a region so that the Infernal may do business there.

---

As you can see, I've replaced all the themes of "fear" or "defense" with more Adorjani stuff.

Likewise, his charm tree would probably lose Malfean Hardness/Soak charms, and gain some dodging/movement stuff. His caste abilities would probably swap out Resistance and Integrity for Dodge and Athletics. Appearance and personality-wise, I like to think he might take on a feminine and graceful aspect, becoming more androgynous (though still hulking and on fire).

It's a pretty big change, and might require some work on the part of the player and GM, but I figure once you're in a game that involves going Devil-Tiger, homebrewing a whole charm set, and then killing a Primordial to use this charm on, that ship has mostly sailed.

Primal Fury
2011-06-01, 07:53 PM
Okay, I see where you're going with this.

These charms get the Primal Fury Seal of Approval:

http://www.tosalumni.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Claw-Marks-Transparent.png

Xefas
2011-06-01, 08:02 PM
These charms get the Primal Fury Seal of Approval:
http://www.tosalumni.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Claw-Marks-Transparent.png

:smallbiggrin:

Okay, I see where you're going with this.
Basically, it was about 4am, after all reasonable human beings have gone to sleep, and I was thinking, as I have many times before, on how the Infernals might achieve the Reclamation. How they could truly, once and for all, get the Yozi out of their prison. How the Yozi could truly "win", even though they aren't supposed to.

And, it just kinda hit me. The Yozi win by me killing and eating them. I will sneak them out in my tummy.

It all made sense.

Primal Fury
2011-06-01, 08:09 PM
You will, of course, include an expansion charm that allows Titanic Resorption Imposition to somehow interact with Spirit of the Living World. I cannot conceive of such a charm not existing.

Xefas
2011-06-01, 08:59 PM
You will, of course, include an expansion charm that allows Titanic Resorption Imposition to somehow interact with Spirit of the Living World. I cannot conceive of such a charm not existing.

Something like this?

Now I just need charms for building Behemoth bodies inside of one's own Living World, and one for summoning stuff out of the Living World.

Lix Lorn
2011-06-01, 09:08 PM
Xefas, marry me?

Qaera
2011-06-01, 09:09 PM
A baby-primordial that can eat other Primordials/yozis? Eventually there will be only one!
These charms are awesome, though. Not sure how balanced this is, cause permanent spirit death is usually a Big Deal.

Xefas
2011-06-01, 10:30 PM
Xefas, marry me?
Okay, sure.

These charms are awesome, though. Not sure how balanced this is, cause permanent spirit death is usually a Big Deal.
Well, Solars get it at Essence 3. It's supposed to be slightly harder for Infernals. TDIC is Essence 6 and while its base purchase is arguably a little better, it's also three Essence higher. Which is a lot. That's my rationale, anyway. Glad you like them.

Lix Lorn
2011-06-02, 11:52 AM
I was going to say that eating primordials feels higher than E6... but hey, if you can beat the primordial, you deserve it. :smallbiggrin: