PDA

View Full Version : Artificers in the World

TheLonelyScribe
2011-06-01, 08:13 AM
Artificers continually need to adventure (gain XP and levels) to remain powerful. Otherwise, they deplete their craft reserve, and eventually start using their own XP, losing all their class bonuses and becoming weak. How would an NPC see this? Would it be that artificers simply need to be constantly challenged to keep the creative and magical juices flowing? What other justifications could there be?

Greenish
2011-06-01, 08:19 AM
In Eberron, by Keith Baker's vision, NPCs don't gain or use experience like PCs do.

Anyhow, NPCs are raking in (rp) exp hand over fist by staying in character all the bloody time. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2011-06-01, 08:34 AM
They could also use the 5gp = 1xp rule on XP transfers (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a).

Veyr
2011-06-01, 08:41 AM
Artificers also get Retain Essence, which can be used to refill ones Craft Reserve. Just buy bulk junk items off of adventurers for it, I suppose.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-01, 08:43 AM
They cannibalise magic items for XP.

Also, NPCs don't gain experience points the same way adventurers do. A Commoner can reach level 2 just by tending to his flock for half a decade or so.

An Artificer would likely gain experience points by selling stuff he's created, getting deals with distributors, starting his own factory, and such.

Remember: you gain experience points for overcoming challenges, not for adventuring. A Commoner might gain experience points by saving his flock of sheep from a particularly nasty case of foot-and-mouth. Another might get experience points for securing a deal with the local lord to provide the majority of his cheese.

Veyr
2011-06-01, 08:49 AM
A thought on a houserule, perhaps:

Profession (Magical Craftsman) (Wis; Trained Only)
Unlike other Profession skills, Profession (Magical Craftsman) is trained-only. It further is not used to earn money in any trade; craftsmen use the Craft skill for that.

Instead, Profession (Magical Craftsman) is used to help with the business aspects of being a magical craftsman. In particular, when making any magical item, you may make a single Profession (Magical Craftsman) check, and reduce the XP cost of that item by the result of your check (to a minimum of 0 XP).
The idea is that a check of like 25-30 shouldn't be too hard, which is equivalent to magic item whose base cost is 625-750 gp, i.e. a minor item.

Meanwhile, it'll only be a small savings on the 320 XP that a +2 weapon enhancement costs, for example.

(the numbers almost certainly need fiddling; I am aware how much skill checks can be pumped)

Kobold-Bard
2011-06-01, 09:12 AM
There's a way for the person commissioning the item to pay some/all of the XP cost here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a).

Comes in spell, item & ritual feat flavours.

TheLonelyScribe
2011-06-01, 11:04 AM
O.K, so it's not vital to gain levels to be an efficient artificer, but it still helps. In what ways can that make sense? (The tone of that sounded rhetorical. It is not rhetorical, I actually do think there is an answer and I want you to give it to me so I can nom on it)

Zonugal
2011-06-01, 12:43 PM
I personally like the idea of presenting artificers as pseudo-business men and the way they regain their xp is through lavish safari expeditions with their bosses & coworkers. Every weekend they load up on weapons and hunt Owlbears for sport.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-01, 12:44 PM
O.K, so it's not vital to gain levels to be an efficient artificer, but it still helps. In what ways can that make sense? (The tone of that sounded rhetorical. It is not rhetorical, I actually do think there is an answer and I want you to give it to me so I can nom on it)

In what way can what make sense? I don't really understand what you're asking.

Zale
2011-06-01, 12:54 PM
I personally like the idea of presenting artificers as pseudo-business men and the way they regain their xp is through lavish safari expeditions with their bosses & coworkers. Every weekend they load up on weapons and hunt Owlbears for sport.

I support this view simply for the coolness factor.

Zonugal
2011-06-01, 12:59 PM
Just think about and see how it makes perfect sense. With unseen crafters and such there isn't actually a reason to be in their 'factory.'

Base jumping, safari hunting and everything else that the extremely wealthy take part in would be appropriate.

TheLonelyScribe
2011-06-02, 04:29 AM
Zonugal you are brilliant

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-02, 06:08 AM
That doesn't mean that's the only way for Artificers to gain levels.

You gain experience points any time you overcome a challenge. Not just when you risk your life. (In fact, base jumping likely wouldn't give you any xp. What's the challenge? Not dying? You're an Artificer. You have Feather Fall.)

Marxism
2011-06-04, 01:17 PM
where do the magic items you sell go? Straight to the artificers.