PDA

View Full Version : opinions on refluff

hangedman1984
2011-06-01, 12:17 PM
So my friend is starting a new game with all the players starting as 7th lvl gestalt. I'm planning on playing a binder3/rogue4//warlock7. The great thing about my friend is she lets the players have a huge say in the creation of the setting itself so i created this bit of ancient history and was curious what everyone thought about it:

Long ago the people of these islands followed the old gods, strange inhuman entities that supposedly predated the creation of the cosmos. In the beginning (according to their beliefs) there was nothing but the endless void and the GodFire, what would become the catalyst for all creation. From the GodFire came the first ones, and the first ones used the GodFire to begin the universe.

The GodFire burned and reacted and brought forth the lands and the skies and the seas. All things come from the initial chain reaction. This new world even began to birth people, all who worshiped the first ones, the old gods. But the first ones, not being of this world but before it, found they had difficulty maintaining a connection to it. So they taught these people how to call forth the first ones and to anchor them in their very souls.

All was good...for awhile, until settlers, immigrants from far shores came to this place. They saw these inhuman spirits dwelling in willing hosts and declared them to be fiends and horrors. They defiled the temples and rededicated them to their own gods, petty, new gods. They began converting the followers of the old ways, by sword-point if necessary. The first ones, seeing the destruction being wrought by these foreigners, chose the bravest warriors, the wisest sages, the cleverest tricksters and placed a spark of the GodFire into their souls. And these champions did war with the newcomers. But the damage was too great, the old gods too distant from creation. The newcomers won and made worship of the old gods heresy.

But all this is ancient history. Few remember the old gods, and most that do only consider them a footnote in the history books. Only a handful keep the old ways, and always in secret, for worship of the old gods is still considered blasphemy.

vestiges=old gods
warlock=the bloodlines of the champions imbued by the godfire

Quietus
2011-06-01, 12:43 PM
Sounds like the start of a good game, to me. If a player brought me that as their piece of the world, I could wrap any number of plot threads around it. Very nice.

MammonAzrael
2011-06-01, 01:12 PM
Looks solid. The one note I'd make is that with that back story, warlocks shouldn't be required to be Chaotic and/or Evil.

hangedman1984
2011-06-01, 01:51 PM
Looks solid. The one note I'd make is that with that back story, warlocks shouldn't be required to be Chaotic and/or Evil.

in our group they usually aren't