PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Drunken Master from APG

Eggman
2011-06-01, 12:47 PM
Am I missing something or does the entry regarding spending drunken ki points as a swift action to move 5 feet that don't provoke attack of opportunities seem....useless. I thought that is what 5-foot steps were for. -_-

Skrobo
2011-06-01, 12:53 PM
I don't have the book at hand, but are you sure that it doesn't allow for an extra 5' move?

jmelesky
2011-06-01, 01:19 PM
It's much like a 5-foot step, yes, but it doesn't have the same restrictions on use (e.g. you can use it even if you otherwise move during your turn). So you could 5-foot step, then use this ki power, then your full-round action. Or you could use this power, then take a move action, then make a standard action attack. Or whatever.

subject42
2011-06-01, 01:46 PM
It's much like a 5-foot step, yes, but it doesn't have the same restrictions on use (e.g. you can use it even if you otherwise move during your turn). So you could 5-foot step, then use this ki power, then your full-round action. Or you could use this power, then take a move action, then make a standard action attack. Or whatever.

It's a shame this is a swift action, rather than a free action. If you used the the vows in Ultimate Magic, you would have enough ki to move and flurry in the same round.

jmelesky
2011-06-01, 01:58 PM
It's a shame this is a swift action, rather than a free action. If you used the the vows in Ultimate Magic, you would have enough ki to move and flurry in the same round.

Yeah, i thought the same. Still, free actions are abusable, so my preference would be for some way to spend more ki to move further in the same swift action.

Actually, my real preference is to make it dependent on the monk's Fast Movement ability. I proposed something similar over at the homebrew here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198799).

Eggman
2011-06-01, 01:59 PM
Ah, yes I see you are correct. I could flurry of blows someone, 5-foot step, and then swift action move 5 feet. Very useful for creatures/npcs with multiple attacks. Thanks guys, I guess I was having a brain fart.