PDA

View Full Version : ... Dagnabbit! Why did I have to read that book...

druid91
2011-06-01, 07:13 PM
Well, some of you may recall the thread I started a while back where I was plotting to start necromancer cults.

It was suggested that I see about setting up a magical safe-zone with elven allies.

I managed to gain entrance to an elven village, and wandered around a bit. found a magic shop, and bought a book.

This proved to be a fatal mistake. I read the book and end up with the conciousness of an ancient necromancer locked in my skull. At first the conversation wasn't that bad, then he went a bit nuts, and decided to demonstrate what he wanted us to do...

This demonstration took the form of the door blowing open and my arm moving to shoot a bolt of magical energy that kills the innkeeper lady.

Though she was skulking outside my door with a dagger... so I'm not sure how this will turn out. According to Mr. Bookman as I've taken to thinking of him, he could easily crush the village if I do as he says, and I was originally against this plan... but now.. I was in on probation, a known murderer and a magic user, they find both in the same place, at the Inn I happen to be staying at?

So, on the one hand, I now have a super powered evil spirit.

On the other hand now the wood elves hate me, and said super powered evil spirit has the brains of your usual maniacal villain.

Yukitsu
2011-06-01, 07:41 PM
Last time I had a character necromancer with a book that turned him evil, my (male) pregnant character had to defeat her (?) evil time clone with mass trickery. So I guess I'm obligated to recomend that. See if you can best yourself with a fake diary and a thought bottle.

On a sadly equally serious note, I recommend going with it. It's probably a temporary plot point that will resolve itself via something further along down the road. If you ever need to control the thing, generally just act bored. "A village? That's all you can beat? *scoff* Wake me up when you get to something important. Wake me up when we rule the world." Worked for me.

tribble
2011-06-01, 07:44 PM
This sounds like an anime. My mind is drawn to Code Geass for some reason, even though this is nothing like Code Geass.

druid91
2011-06-01, 07:49 PM
Last time I had a character necromancer with a book that turned him evil, my (male) pregnant character had to defeat her (?) evil time clone with mass trickery. So I guess I'm obligated to recomend that. See if you can best yourself with a fake diary and a thought bottle.

On a sadly equally serious note, I recommend going with it. It's probably a temporary plot point that will resolve itself via something further along down the road. If you ever need to control the thing, generally just act bored. "A village? That's all you can beat? *scoff* Wake me up when you get to something important. Wake me up when we rule the world." Worked for me.

Oh don't worry, I've been snarking at him the whole time.:smallwink:

This sounds like an anime. My mind is drawn to Code Geass for some reason, even though this is nothing like Code Geass.

I thought of death note myself.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-06-01, 08:32 PM
I managed to gain entrance to an elven village, and wandered around a bit. found a magic shop, and bought a book.

This proved to be a fatal mistake. I read the book and end up with the conciousness of an ancient necromancer locked in my skull.
Weird shop. Looks like you walked into a Plot Hook :smalltongue:

Well, the first thing to do is to have your Head Necromancer explain how he plans on destroying the village. If he actually has the chops to do it, then you're probably going to have to go along with it unless you can find some way to prevent him from controlling your actions.

If he needs your cooperation or something, then you can try to control him instead. See if he'll buy into your original plan of establishing a Necro-topia. If so, go with my variant plan of holing up in some defensible position, pimping it out with undead guards, and then declaring it a safe-zone. If you manage to do that without pissing the elves off too much (i.e. don't blow up the village) then they might not send out more than a token force to bring you back - if at all.

druid91
2011-06-01, 08:40 PM
Weird shop. Looks like you walked into a Plot Hook :smalltongue:

Well, the first thing to do is to have your Head Necromancer explain how he plans on destroying the village. If he actually has the chops to do it, then you're probably going to have to go along with it unless you can find some way to prevent him from controlling your actions.

If he needs your cooperation or something, then you can try to control him instead. See if he'll buy into your original plan of establishing a Necro-topia. If so, go with my variant plan of holing up in some defensible position, pimping it out with undead guards, and then declaring it a safe-zone. If you manage to do that without pissing the elves off too much (i.e. don't blow up the village) then they might not send out more than a token force to bring you back - if at all.

Well actually he just nuked the village within five seconds of telling me his name.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-06-01, 08:45 PM
Well actually he just nuked the village within five seconds of telling me his name.
Huh. Somehow I missed that.

Well, is your PC Evil? If so, go along with it. Ask him what his master plan is and see if you can't make a better master plan.

If not, then alert your fellow PCs and see if they can figure out a way to shut up Bookman.

druid91
2011-06-01, 08:55 PM
Huh. Somehow I missed that.

Well, is your PC Evil? If so, go along with it. Ask him what his master plan is and see if you can't make a better master plan.

If not, then alert your fellow PCs and see if they can figure out a way to shut up Bookman.

Evil yes.

However his master plan makes me look complicated. I'm not.

It essentially consists of kill/animate everyone. Except those who serve out of fear.

Simple, simple, they die. They become our servants, those who do not wish to die will serve under the threat of our power. Living have their uses... some things cannot be done by the dead. Ah! I will show you!

Oracle_Hunter
2011-06-01, 09:30 PM
Evil yes.

However his master plan makes me look complicated. I'm not.

It essentially consists of kill/animate everyone. Except those who serve out of fear.
He's... not particularly interested in building a kingdom, is he? Perhaps you can make him :smallamused:

(1) See if he has actual necromantic lore, instead of just blowing stuff up. If so, animate those villagers and get out post-haste.

(2) If you are currently in a place where living people can witness you, murder them all and animate their corpses.

(3) Escape into the wilds so that you have some time to learn from the "master"

(4) Ask Master if he has any spells that allow him to trap & use the souls of other magic users. If not, suggest you research such a spell, since the magic users in this period are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

(5) Establish your Necro-Topia with an amnesty for spellcasters. As they arrive, tutor them in the Dark Arts until they are powerful enough for you to use their souls effectively.

(6) Trick the spellcasters into trapping their souls by convincing them it is part of the Ritual for becoming a Lich. Use these souls to then enhance your (and your Master's) powers.

(7) Rule the World.

Kris Strife
2011-06-02, 08:54 AM
Check and see if the shop is still there. :smalltongue:

Also, wasn't this the plot of the second Harry Potter book?:smallamused:

Just_Ice
2011-06-02, 09:59 AM
I would recommend not giving into the DM's wiles, at least not willingly. "Never waste the opportunity to make a centuries-old horror look like an idiot", I always say.

Killing yourself, or threatening to kill yourself, is an option. I recommend you take the stance that "evil is boring", and constantly be condescending. This way you can say things like, "that's just so boring that I could die". Become a skeleton artiste or something, and resist every urge to do evil in the most detached way possible. Use his great powers to like scratch yourself or get carried around on a throne of bones rather than walking.

While this means the DM will mind control you and make you do this anyways, it means you can make fun of the evil spirit when it's inevitably a tangible enemy, too.

Evil will always beat Good, because Good is dumb. Neutral will always beat evil because evil takes itself seriously.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-06-02, 10:05 AM
Killing yourself, or threatening to kill yourself, is an option. I recommend you take the stance that "evil is boring", and constantly be condescending. This way you can say things like, "that's just so boring that I could die". Become a skeleton artiste or something, and resist every urge to do evil in the most detached way possible. Use his great powers to like scratch yourself or get carried around on a throne of bones rather than walking.
Are you suggesting that he become a Necromantic Hipster? :smallconfused:

"I could have been into subjugating the world a year ago, maybe. Now it's too mainstream."

"Wights? No, I'm really into Animus right now. They're pretty obscure. You probably haven't heard of them."

"I'm sitting on this throne of bones ironically."

The horror :smalleek:

Just_Ice
2011-06-02, 11:43 AM
Are you suggesting that he become a Necromantic Hipster? :smallconfused:

"I could have been into subjugating the world a year ago, maybe. Now it's too mainstream."

"Wights? No, I'm really into Animus right now. They're pretty obscure. You probably haven't heard of them."

"I'm sitting on this throne of bones ironically."

The horror :smalleek:

That is exactly what I am suggesting.

TheThan
2011-06-02, 01:09 PM

I suggest you call him Harvey and make sure NOT to tell him how to create wormholes. and when he pushes you, make sure to show him how bad an idea that really is.

Quietus
2011-06-02, 02:28 PM
That is exactly what I am suggesting.

In that case, he should make sure that the rest of his group is okay with playing a horror game.

Daremonai
2011-06-04, 05:18 AM
Wait, a shop in the Elf village sold you a book with a necromancer in it, and now they're upset that you have a necromantic spirit companion? That makes remarkably little sense.

In any case, +1 to treating it with zero respect.

druid91
2011-06-04, 10:43 AM
Wait, a shop in the Elf village sold you a book with a necromancer in it, and now they're upset that you have a necromantic spirit companion? That makes remarkably little sense.

In any case, +1 to treating it with zero respect.

No they are more upset about said spirit killing an innkeeper and nuking the village.

Ursus the Grim
2011-06-04, 12:09 PM
I suggest you call him Harvey and make sure NOT to tell him how to create wormholes. and when he pushes you, make sure to show him how bad an idea that really is.

If I could high five you for that, I would.

On topic, talk it over with the rest of your party. See how they feel about the whole thing. Are they aware of the issue? Could you hide it from them? Unlikely, but could you?

druid91
2011-06-04, 01:03 PM
If I could high five you for that, I would.

On topic, talk it over with the rest of your party. See how they feel about the whole thing. Are they aware of the issue? Could you hide it from them? Unlikely, but could you?

At the time I hadn't met the party yet, however another PC (with just my luck an elf) just found me waking up in the smoldering ruins of the town.

They haven't posted yet but...

JonRG
2011-06-05, 01:00 AM
At the time I hadn't met the party yet, however another PC (with just my luck an elf) just found me waking up in the smoldering ruins of the town.

They haven't posted yet but...

Have ranks in Bluff and start working on a good lie. :smallbiggrin:

"Oh gods, that horrible necromancer killed everyone but left me to suffer!" :smallfrown: (which technically, isn't even false)

*halo*

herrhauptmann
2011-06-05, 01:21 AM

Not sure I get the reference... Something from Dr Who or Star Trek maybe?

Necromantic Hipster, god, someone shoot me. That's even more horrifying than regular hipsters. Especially the ultra whiny longboarders I see at school.
Them:"Why can't I just use my board when I want!!"
Me:"Maybe because there's two feet of snow on the ground dude, and it's still coming down." (Freshman year, in the school's HUB)

DaragosKitsune
2011-06-05, 02:19 AM
Wait, how much can this spirit guy observe? Does he use your senses or something else? Because there is the possibility of getting the rest of the party's help by simply writing a note outside of your range of vision if he simply sees through your eyes and hears through your ears. Also, ask his opinion of snakes. If he really likes them, your DM ripped off Harry Potter completely.

Ursus the Grim
2011-06-05, 08:03 AM
Not sure I get the reference... Something from Dr Who or Star Trek maybe?

Farscape.

Have ranks in Bluff and start working on a good lie. :smallbiggrin:

"Oh gods, that horrible necromancer killed everyone but left me to suffer!" :smallfrown: (which technically, isn't even false)

*halo*

I was thinking a similar thing. Heck, make yourself out to be a tormented martyr.

"I could not save the village, but I managed to seal the necromancer's spirit within my body so that he could not run unchecked."

herrhauptmann
2011-06-05, 02:05 PM
Farscape.
I was thinking a similar thing. Heck, make yourself out to be a tormented martyr.

"I could not save the village, but I managed to seal the necromancer's spirit within my body so that he could not run unchecked."
Ahh, Farscape... Just when it was getting big, my roommate went all rabid fanboy over the show, and I decided it wasn't worth my time. Seriously, he was sorta creepy about it.

Hey, couldn't you get a protection from evil, it'll hedge out mental control. And I like the idea of a tormented martyr. Now you need to create a fake ritual.
"Highness, while under the influence of the spell your priest cast on me, I have control over my own actions. But as soon as that control slips, I must fight that monster again. So I propose to create a ritual which will at best destroy him, barring that, it'll lock him away, preventing him from controlling my body, permanently. I've done some preliminary research, and I'll need the following: 10 diamonds worth 10000gp each. 20 rubies worth 5000 gp each. As well as....
Yes your majesty, I know it's a tall order, but right now a single dispelling would be enough to give that thing control of my body, perhaps while loose within the bounds of your kingdom. And if you think he was bad before..." *bluff check*

NichG
2011-06-05, 02:44 PM
Better make sure the kingdom you try this in is all noble and heroic, otherwise the king will say 'Hmm, so a 200000gp ritual or the sacrifice of an innocent to permanently defeat this villain? We'll make a statue in honor of your noble sacrifice.'

druid91
2011-06-05, 05:26 PM
Better make sure the kingdom you try this in is all noble and heroic, otherwise the king will say 'Hmm, so a 200000gp ritual or the sacrifice of an innocent to permanently defeat this villain? We'll make a statue in honor of your noble sacrifice.'

Actually I could say, without lying at all, that all that would do is make it worse.

I die, he jumps to someone/something nearby.

herrhauptmann
2011-06-05, 05:43 PM
Actually I could say, without lying at all, that all that would do is make it worse.

I die, he jumps to someone/something nearby.

Gotta phrase it right, or they'll just lock you up for the rest of your life. Maybe in an antimagic cell, or wearing shackles with a permanent "Protection from evil" effect.