PDA

View Full Version : Terror in a spaceship lab help

Elvenoutrider
2011-06-01, 07:30 PM
First of all, if any readers are involved in a terror on a spaceship game with the gurps system in Albany new york, you should know who you are, you should back out at this point...

Ok we good?

OK so heres what is going on in my campaign. Basically, the pcs have found themselves trapped on a disabled colony ship floating above the galactic plane. It was the first ship to use faster than light technology and had to travel through "otherspace" to do so. In the process the ship picked up a number of monsters and became trapped in otherspace. Over the course of 6 yearss the crew fought a madenning battle to retake the ship from the lovecraftian horror that had taken it over. Right now the only things left alive on the ship are the monsters, the pcs, and one insane engineer who has been alive for 6 years fighting the monsters and trying ot destroy the ship. A good description of the engineer would be to combine father gregori with gorden freeman. Additionally, all of the ship's robots and machinery have been reprogrammed to enact their programs on organics, effectively turning all machinery on the ship hostile.

With all this in mind, for the next phase of the campaign the pcs need to fight their way into the labs to get to the head scientists neural implants that will allow them to access more of the ship. What I have so far for the labs is a bio lab where the pcs can find out something about the monsters physiology, a chem lab featuring a regenerating gibbering mouther(that they have to kill by incinerating it in the incinerator room), and an elevator shaft full of lasers.

While I said this is a lovecraftian themed campaign I would like the pcs to be able to "win" in the end

Has anyone here ever run a "lab" dungeon before?

What kind of obstacles or encounters would you put into it.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-01, 07:34 PM
Is it supposed to be mostly hallways with a few key rooms, or mostly rooms with no halls? If mostly hallways then I would suggest having labs/cafeterias/gardens act as boss type unique fights, while the halls have traps meant to prevent the monsters from moving from place to place and monsters trying to get from place to place. To keep it fresh have the party come across monsters that have been killed by the traps in weird ways that cause the party to guess at the type of trap.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-06-01, 07:48 PM
You might want to go play Starcraft, if you haven't yet. There's several almost identical situations there you might get ideas from.

In brief:

Automated systems turned into weapons platforms. For example: A fire extenguisher system can either be a cold-based attack, or a foam which hinders movement and can cause choking from not being able to breathe, depending on how you set it up. Removing air to put out fires is always a good thing too, so you might have warning "emergency fire control activated, venting section to deep space" then the players have to find a way to *keep* the air from being vented before the system activates.

What's a lovecraftian horror without abominations? Or, in this case, 'what happens when humans get a little too close to That Which Man Was Not Meant To Know'. See also: Infested Terran (from SC2, not the original explosive units). Feel free to come up with insanely wierd critters which might have terran origins, but have since been... altered.

"I'm sorry, Dave, I can't let you do that". Go watch 2001. This should give you an idea of how dangerous it is to have the ship you are on actively hostile to you. Run with it.