PDA

View Full Version : Feat for Familiar.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-01, 09:44 PM
My DM is letting me get rid of my familiar to grant me an extra feat as a Wizard. Is it going too far to take Obtain Familiar like I intended to, well not at that level, I'll take it at level three, but does it seem fair? to the DM that is.

Dylaer
2011-06-01, 09:52 PM
My DM is letting me get rid of my familiar to grant me an extra feat as a Wizard. Is it going too far to take Obtain Familiar like I intended to, well not at that level, I'll take it at level three, but does it seem fair? to the DM that is.

Why? There's no point sacrificing your familiar to gain a feat, then using another feat on Obtain Familiar. I don't see why you don't just keep the familiar.

holywhippet
2011-06-01, 09:53 PM
I'd clear it with them first. In theory it's an equivalent trade - familar for a feat and a feat for a familiar.

Kantolin
2011-06-01, 09:53 PM
There are a lot of feat-like bonuses you can trade your familiar for already, so looking at a familiar as a feat seems pretty fair to me.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-01, 09:54 PM
Why? There's no point sacrificing your familiar to gain a feat, then using another feat on Obtain Familiar. I don't see why you don't just keep the familiar.

I'm a Diviner going Divine Oracle which doesn't enhance my Familiar, this way it does.

holywhippet
2011-06-01, 09:55 PM

There are certain feats only available at level 1 - precocious apprentice and collegiate wizard for example.

Dylaer
2011-06-01, 10:03 PM
I'm a Diviner going Divine Oracle which doesn't enhance my Familiar, this way it does.

Ahh, I see. Sounds fair enough then. I've heard of an actual flaw somewhere (dragon magazine?) that is "No Familiar". It doesn't prevent you from taking a familiar later though, so that should be reasonable enough.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-01, 10:10 PM
Hmm, so basically you take a flaw to remove your familiar to get access to a feat, but then you can take Obtain Familiar later? Sounds exactly like what I want, :D, My Parrot will be pleased.

gorfnab
2011-06-01, 11:08 PM
Most prestige classes don't progress familiar abilities. However Obtain Familiar says "For the purpose of determining familiar abilities that depend on your arcane caster class level, your levels in all classes that allow you to cast arcane spells stack." This means you can take multiple prestige classes and still have a decent familiar.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-06-02, 12:52 AM
I'd clear it with them first. In theory it's an equivalent trade - familar for a feat and a feat for a familiar.

Seconded. It's a relatively small balancing issue that you're circumventing (as you are circumventing one of the only class feature losses from prestiging out), and I'm sure it won't be the thing that breaks your Wizard (as there are way too many other things that will break it long before then), but bamboozling your DM in such a manner is a pretty silly thing to do, especially because it's over something so small. Talk it out with them first.

Darth Stabber
2011-06-02, 01:32 AM
I wish I could that trick on rebuke undead. Get a low level feat, then burn a later feat to get rebuking based on caster level, sounds good to me. Admittedly, rebuke > familiar

*.*.*.*
2011-06-02, 01:45 AM
No one made a yo dawg joke?

Gravitron5000
2011-06-02, 09:25 AM
No one made a yo dawg joke?

I was trying to restrain myself from suggesting a centipede familiar ... for the extra feet.

It looks like I lost this round.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-02, 10:14 AM
Technically the Yo Dawg joke wouldn't really work as it would not be possible to put a familiar in my familiar so my familiar could familiar. But that's fine, lol.

Now, I'm branching this off because this will also apply to the same Diviner.

Master’s Touch
Divination
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, F
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Targets: Self
Duration: 1 minute per level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Master’s touch is a spell often found in the repertoire of the adventurers that specialize in casting arcane spells. It grants casters the knowledge and experience to claim proficiency in whatever single weapon or shield they hold in their hands when the spell is cast. The lack of a somatic component means the spell may be cast in the midst of a fight while keeping ready whatever items stand between the caster and danger.

Proficiency is granted for only a single, specific item, although multiple castings allow for multiple proficiencies. For example, a sorcerer holding a short sword and rapier, with a buckler strapped to his off hand, could cast the spell three times, once for each weapon and shield.

Note that this spell does not grant proficiency for a class of item, but only for the one specific item held in the hand at the time the spell is cast. Should the caster set that item down or otherwise lose his or her grip on it, proficiency does not fade away; the proficiency is due to knowledge gained, not due to any transmutation of the caster or the item. The caster may therefore recover that specific item and continue to use it with proficiency until the spell’s effect runs out.

Master’s touch does not convey any information about a magic item to the caster. The caster may not even be aware that an item is magical at all.

Arcane Focus: The item in whose use the caster wishes to be proficient.

That Spell, I'm going to use it in combat so that my Wizard will have a reliable weapon. My question is partially what weapon should I use, but also what happens if I'm wielding a weapon larger than my size, say a Colossal++ Greatsword, do I gain proficiency with just the Greatsword, or do I gain proficiency with a that Colossal++ Greatsword because it is that specific item....

Godskook
2011-06-02, 10:54 AM
There's ACFs that trade your familiar away for various thinks, some of which are worth more than a feat(such as abrupt jaunt). If your DM has a problem with allowing you to do it as a houserule, point out that you can do it by RAW and get better stuff too.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-02, 11:11 AM
There's ACFs that trade your familiar away for various thinks, some of which are worth more than a feat(such as abrupt jaunt). If your DM has a problem with allowing you to do it as a houserule, point out that you can do it by RAW and get better stuff too.

Yeah, it wasn't so much a "being allowed" thing as a "Do you think my DM will kill me for it, the answer surprisingly is no he didn't, he laughed at the irony of my giving up my familiar to gain a feat, to only three levels later give up a feat for a familiar. So that issue is pretty much done. On to a new one though.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-02, 04:30 PM
I don't really think it's that fair - Obtain Familiar is better than the class feature Summon Familiar.

But, well, I wouldn't ban it myself, because I think familiars should scale according to your caster level, not your class level...