PDA

View Full Version : Steadfast Boots

Cleavon
2011-06-02, 12:33 AM
Yo!

Perhaps I'm not thinking of this correctly, or maybe I am. Here is the situation.

A Character using a great axe with a pair of these babies on is charged by a creature.

He is indeed wielding a two handed weapon, and thus it will act as if readied against a charge when a foe charges him.

My question is...Since he has no reach, and the foe provokes no attack of opportunity for moving in against him, does that nullify the boots ability? Since he gets no attack of opportunity it seems like the boots wouldn't just give him a free attack.

Most of the information I could find on readying against a charge was with reach weapons...so I think I'm right just don't want to muck my player out of an ability he spent money on. Would be a darn good ability for only 1400 gold too.

Cleavon
2011-06-02, 12:35 AM
Hmm. Interesting. I've pretty much determined I'm right, and my player agrees with me.

So I guess this discussion ended before it began.

Keld Denar
2011-06-02, 12:40 AM
Steadfast Boots do not interact with AoOs. It is considered a readied action. If you had a 2handed weapon that was also a reach weapon that could strike adjacent squares (such as a spiked chain), you would get an AoO as a medium non-reach foe left the square 10' away, THEN you'd get a readied attack as they move into the square adjacent to you.

Allanimal
2011-06-02, 01:34 AM
Steadfast Boots do not interact with AoOs. It is considered a readied action. If you had a 2handed weapon that was also a reach weapon that could strike adjacent squares (such as a spiked chain), you would get an AoO as a medium non-reach foe left the square 10' away, THEN you'd get a readied attack as they move into the square adjacent to you.

What about if your weapon is reach only? Do you get the ready vs. charge attack when the opponent hits the square you can reach, and (assuming it is still alive) then the AOO when it leaves that square (to complete the charge)?

That is, same as the spiked chain, but reverse the order of attacks?

Cleavon
2011-06-02, 02:33 AM

So for 1400 gold pieces you get to attack anyone who charges you for double damage, regardless of reach, and regardless of what else you did in a round?

That just doesn't sound right.

The point being that I can't make a full attack, then ready an action. Does this not seem over powered?

JaronK
2011-06-02, 03:48 AM
It's not regardless of reach... if the enemy has reach and you don't, they'll never get in range for the hit. But yes, it's a solid item that gives melees something useful.

JaronK