PDA

View Full Version : What would you bring to the world?

Halae
2011-06-02, 01:41 AM
If you had the means and inclination, is there something that you'd put into the world? This can be something as lowly as a new law for your hometown, or as lofty as a grand change to the universe, such as introducing magic, or introducing a new type of creature to the world, like dragons or giant spiders. And you get to determine all the specifics about it

Personally? I'd go with magic. I'd love to live in a world with magic - dependent on, you know, me wanting to actually be able to use it :smalltongue: It's why I love playing spellcasters in games

Xyk
2011-06-02, 01:45 AM
I would introduce a high level of universal empathy to every person. I think that would solve virtually all social, political, and economic problems.

Zaydos
2011-06-02, 01:49 AM
A one-way gateway to a new pristine world with magic. I'd love to live in a world with magic, but I couldn't ask to force that on others. This gives a means of escape to such a world for those who desire it, and a whole new world worth of living space.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-02, 01:50 AM
A safe, reliable, faster than light drive. So far, we have been exploring the universe from the bottom of a deep, deep well. I want us to not only view those distant stars and galaxies, I want us to visit them in person.

Mauve Shirt
2011-06-02, 06:04 AM
Teleportation devices. Free teleportation devices. Everywhere.

Orzel
2011-06-02, 06:16 AM
The Eternal Sphere.
not the weapon, the other thing. The one with spaceships and fireball spells.

Lord Raziere
2011-06-02, 08:25 AM
I dunno.....not sure....

I'd guess I'd go with magic to, but with a very strict "equivalent exchange" rule or something. don't want things going too crazy...

Eldan
2011-06-02, 08:25 AM
A free energy device. Small, portable, and produces infinite electricity.

Because screw you, thermodynamics.

Linkavitch
2011-06-02, 08:30 AM
Actual, real-life Pokemon.

What?

Asta Kask
2011-06-02, 08:34 AM
An understanding and appreciation for critical thinking.

akma
2011-06-02, 09:20 AM
Make people stop believing that wizards and druids (in DND) are too powerfull and unbalanced so I won`t ever have to read that again.

valadil
2011-06-02, 09:34 AM
I would introduce a high level of universal empathy to every person. I think that would solve virtually all social, political, and economic problems.

My idea would have been political, so I'm going to go with Xyk's idea instead as it solves the problems I want solved, but without calling down the wrath of the mods.

jumpywinghim
2011-06-02, 09:40 AM
Wishful thinking:
A realm of magic, powers and all that other stuff that breaks the laws of physics and nature and etc. The thing that governs this realm would be the Law of Cool (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool).

Something serious but highly unlikely:
A way to eliminate all that is bad and shape a perfect world! Yeah, I can't even fathom anything more specific than that, so there we go...

H Birchgrove
2011-06-02, 10:17 AM
Having Mars be populated by the Martians from the fiction by Edgar Rice Burroughs, C. S. Lewis, Ray Bradbury and Robert A. Heinlein.

Problem, NASA? :smallwink:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-02, 10:21 AM
Teleportation devices. Free teleportation devices. Everywhere.

I'd say this, but since I can't now ... Gundams. Because we need more entertaining ways to kill each other.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-06-02, 10:30 AM
Fracken lightsabers

OR PONIES

Mecha!

Destro_Yersul
2011-06-02, 10:35 AM
Fracken lightsabers

OR PONIES

Mecha!

Mechaponies with lightsabers?

Myself, I'd probably add...

hmmm...

affordable and efficient faster-than-light travel.

The_Final_Stand
2011-06-02, 10:37 AM
I would bring forth something which screws with fundamental laws of physics, so, a free energy device, a matter-from-nothing-inator, FTL, something like that.

Partly because it would make it far easier for us to take over worlds not in our solar system, but partly because the attempts to repair the laws of physics would be hilarious.

Cyrano
2011-06-02, 10:38 AM
Magic, that is capable of FTL travel, that induces empathy as a by-product.

Pretty much covers all the important stuff I think.

Xyk
2011-06-02, 11:33 AM
Mechaponies with lightsabers?

Myself, I'd probably add...

hmmm...

I read this as adorable and efficient faster-than-light travel.

That would be better.

Eldan
2011-06-02, 12:32 PM

In that case, couldn't you just say "Omnipotence" or "a solution to all problems"?

nerd-7i+42e
2011-06-02, 12:53 PM
Complete knowledge of the fundamental nature of the universe.

In that case, couldn't you just say "Omnipotence" or "a solution to all problems"?

Yeah, that works too.

Castaras
2011-06-02, 12:55 PM
I'd bring eternal world peace. Yeah, I'm an idealist. :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2011-06-02, 12:59 PM
I would introduce a sense of patience and serenity.

There are many things that will be better in our world with time... we just need to patience to get there (so we don't get ahead of ourselves) and the serenity to be alright with taking the time to get there.

I would also like to increase the overall lifespan, so those who start some of the epic-changiness-thingies might have the ability to see the fruition of their efforts.

averagejoe
2011-06-02, 01:14 PM
I'd increase the amount of high fiving that goes on, and give the ability to do so to chickens and dogs.

Halae
2011-06-02, 08:06 PM
I read this as adorable and efficient faster-than-light travel.

That would be better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who read it as that :smalltongue:

druid91
2011-06-02, 08:49 PM
Spiral power and the accompanying Ganmen.

Ajadea
2011-06-02, 09:01 PM
Some sort of idiot-proof, cheap, easily replicable, technology with no side effects that enables both populated spaceship and unmanned probe FTL travel and communication.

Or learnable magic capable of the same sort of physics-bending results. Whatever works, I just want to get to the nearby star systems and see the aliens that could be there.

CrimsonAngel
2011-06-02, 09:06 PM
If I could have my way, everything would go my way.

AsteriskAmp
2011-06-02, 09:11 PM
Making "i" (j for engineers) part of nature, the results would be interesting.
As for optimism, D&D clerics, capable of insta-healing and food producing would be nice.

Marnath
2011-06-02, 09:37 PM
Holodecks and replicators. That would be pretty cool as long as you avoided the malfunctions.

ScottishDragon
2011-06-02, 11:31 PM
Dragons, big giant fire breathin dragons. I would get a pet one and name it El Cucuy(how do you spell it,the boogey man from mexico?)

absolmorph
2011-06-03, 12:12 AM
Actual, real-life Pokemon.

What?
You're mad!
Those things are friggin' terrifying! :smalleek:

A safe, reliable, faster than light drive. So far, we have been exploring the universe from the bottom of a deep, deep well. I want us to not only view those distant stars and galaxies, I want us to visit them in person.
This,

this

and this are all good ones.

Personally, I'd like a safe system of interstellar portals. Portals that open to hostile locations and benign ones, habitable planets and inhabitable ones.
Then, the only requirement to go to a completely different place is the cost to enter the portal system.

Castaras
2011-06-03, 03:51 AM
Making "i" (j for engineers) part of nature, the results would be interesting.
As for optimism, D&D clerics, capable of insta-healing and food producing would be nice.

The funny thing is is that i can be shown to be part of nature. :smalltongue: Explains a lot, eh?

Giggling Ghast
2011-06-03, 04:01 AM
I would like to create a species of new livestock that is nutritious, extremely tasty, quickly reproducing, capable of speech and desirous of being killed and eaten (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlesacn2d4m3iyd).

Partly because it would solve a lot of problems, but also because it's darkly hilarious. :smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2011-06-03, 08:19 PM
I'd make humans incapable of violence unless they called out the name of their attacks, in the style of some shounen anime.

This would mean that:
a) If your attack hasn't got a name, you cannot use it.
b) Violence is harder to achieve without being noticed.

Eldan
2011-06-03, 08:21 PM
I'd make humans incapable of violence unless they called out the name of their attacks, in the style of some shounen anime.

This would mean that:

"Artillery strike from thirty miles awaaaaaay .... smaaaaaash!"

druid91
2011-06-03, 08:53 PM

This would mean that:

What about a dramatic whisper?

And couldn't we just name our own attacks?

Mercenary Pen
2011-06-04, 07:00 AM
What about a dramatic whisper?

And couldn't we just name our own attacks?

No whispering, but yes you could name your own attacks- it'd slow people down just long enough for some of the victims to get away. Also, automatic weapons are utterly impossible because I insist that people must announce every single bullet fired.:smallamused:

Destro_Yersul
2011-06-04, 09:33 AM
No whispering, but yes you could name your own attacks- it'd slow people down just long enough for some of the victims to get away. Also, automatic weapons are utterly impossible because I insist that people must announce every single bullet fired.:smallamused:

Just wait till someone invents the Macrosse Missile Massacre.

Eldan
2011-06-04, 10:20 AM
If we're doing it anime style, someone will just invent the ability to shout fast enough :smallamused:

Destro_Yersul
2011-06-04, 10:30 AM
Or use their ultimate Hyper Bulletstorm Limit Break and fire a million bullets at once.

HalfTangible
2011-06-04, 10:36 AM
In-born magic that nourishes the user and is only useable by benign people under no duress. Voila, ends world hunger and prevents bad people from using magic at the same time.

Scarlet Knight
2011-06-04, 11:43 AM
"I'd like to teach the world to sing...in perfect harmony..."

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-04, 12:06 PM
You're mad!
Those things are friggin' terrifying! :smalleek:

Like you've never wished to carry around the creator of the universe in one of your 'Balls.

Ursus the Grim
2011-06-04, 12:19 PM
Supernature.

Nature would replenish itself so swiftly that our presence would be negligible. All chemical and physical processes would be so efficient and swift that even the most sparse of resources would replenish swift enough to offset demand. Pollution would be purified as it entered the biosphere. Conflicts would shrink due to less competition for the important stuff.

Oh yeah, and sport hunters would get themselves pwned.

Lord Raziere
2011-06-04, 01:28 PM
If we're doing it anime style, someone will just invent the ability to shout fast enough :smallamused:

or heck just go "World-Shattering Shout!" the calling of the attack, being the attack itself.

Mercenary Pen
2011-06-04, 05:20 PM
Just wait till someone invents the Macrosse Missile Massacre.

Or use their ultimate Hyper Bulletstorm Limit Break and fire a million bullets at once.

or heck just go "World-Shattering Shout!" the calling of the attack, being the attack itself.

Here I am trying to reduce violence in the world by making it less practical and infinitely more embarrassing, and some people have to go looking for loopholes...
*rolls eyes in despair*

Destro_Yersul
2011-06-04, 08:08 PM
Here I am trying to reduce violence in the world by making it less practical and infinitely more embarrassing, and some people have to go looking for loopholes...
*rolls eyes in despair*

People always will look for loopholes. Plus, what you've really done here is made it more awesome. Anime has a tendency towards huge, silly, epic attacks.

Mostly, I'm being silly. :smalltongue:

RandomNPC
2011-06-04, 10:04 PM
Superpowers for whoever wants them.

Basically turn the world into a Marvel/DC/Vertigo/Dark Horse/everyone else crossover.

Partof1
2011-06-04, 11:02 PM
The Force. I want to use the Force. I want it so hard.

absolmorph
2011-06-04, 11:11 PM
Like you've never wished to carry around the creator of the universe in one of your 'Balls.
When it includes the existence of things like Beautifly, Magcargo, Raichu, Muk...
The list goes on.
And you're just begging for an innuendo there.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-05, 02:08 AM
*rolls eyes in despair*
People will always try to game a system. Always. :smallfrown: