PDA

View Full Version : Spell selection for a Mystic Theurge

riddles
2011-06-02, 06:28 AM
Let's say, for argument's sake, that my DM has agreed to the following:
- dragonwrought kobold with loredrake
- 1 flaw (for precocious apprentice)
- the draconic reservoir rituals

Essentially meaning I am into Mystic Theurge at level 4 with 3 levels of cleric casting and 2 sorceror. at level 6 (where I expect the campaign to start), I will have 6th level cleric and 6th level sorceror casting (thanks to the greater ritual).

Focus will be charisma over wisdom and therefore the spells requiring saves will all be on the sorceror side. Domains will be Kobold, Knowledge (cloistered cleric) and Luck or Trickery

What should my spell selections be? I'm aware of standard cleric spell picks but this will be a caster cleric, rather than a fighty cleric so my experience is limited. I may also be lobbying for the spontaneous divine caster variant to keep my book-keeping down.

Alleran
2011-06-02, 06:33 AM
Spell selection shouldn't change all that much for the arcane side. Glitterdust, Web, and so on. Control the battlefield.

Sidenote: Precocious Apprentice is useful, but can't you get the same general effect with Versatile Spellcaster?

riddles
2011-06-02, 06:39 AM
No. I still need to know a level 2 spell for that to apply. Which is great, until you realise I won't know a level 2 spell until sorceror level 4.

[EDIT] or take heighten spell, and I don't think i'll get away with a second flaw just yet.

Cyrion
2011-06-02, 09:30 AM
If you're going to be focusing on battlefield control from the sorcerer side, I'd focus on prep and clean-up on the cleric side, since you'll be offensively occupied with sorcerer spells in battle. Look to buffs and divinations to put on before starting the encounter and then restorations, dispels, etc. for afterwards. The cleric spells might also be a good place for your utility spells that you don't want to devote sorcrer slots to- things like dismissal and banishment, food and shelter, etc.

riddles
2011-06-02, 10:04 AM
Do I need to be aware of things that appear lower on some lists than others? For example, hold person is a level 2 cleric spell, but a level 3 sorceror spell.

jmelesky
2011-06-02, 10:26 AM
An aside: there's open debate as to whether Precocious Apprentice can be used to fill a prereq like that, so you should double-check with your DM that it's legal with him.

The issue is in the wording of the feat. Since it says "When you become able to cast 2nd-level spells", that implies that you're not "able to cast 2nd-level spells" by virtue of the feat, which means no Mystic Theurge (or similar).

riddles
2011-06-02, 11:24 AM
Fully aware of that. Dm has passed it because he thinks the thuerge is weak enough as it is.

If I wanted to be on firmer ground for legality, I'd take 2 levels of sorceror and enter MT at level 6 (6th level sorc. And 4th level cleric as a level 6 character)

Cyrion
2011-06-02, 02:29 PM
Do I need to be aware of things that appear lower on some lists than others? For example, hold person is a level 2 cleric spell, but a level 3 sorceror spell.

Depends upon the spell. If the spell doesn't require a save, then absolutely get it earlier. If there's a save involved, getting it a level earlier will drop the save DC by one (or more in a couple of cases). Now it's judgement time- how much do you value that +1 on the save DC?

If you look through some of the handbooks on wizard spell schools, they often identify which of the spells appearing at lower levels are good choices.