PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Beginner Box

Totally Guy
2011-06-02, 08:04 AM
Holy cow! A pathfinder box set! (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lc5i&source=rss) That's awesome. Right?

I just have a PDF of the PHB myself but a box set with all the bits and monsters and guidelines just begs to be played. I'm quite tempted.

McSmack
2011-06-02, 08:21 AM
It is what it is. As a starting set it's not bad. It's got everything you need for a group of new players, and it's reasonably priced.

But then again most of the info from the box is available online for free, and the Core Rulebook isn't too much more expensive than this, and it contains most of the same information (char gen, magic items, overview of gamemastering, etc). And the DM can just look up the monsters on the PRD ahead of time.The 'pawns' are probably just paper punch out tokens similar to what they did with the 3.5 rulebooks.

However, it is nice to have it all in one place. I'd definitely recommend it to someone just starting out, but if you're an experienced player or DM, you can probably skip it.

Mojo_Rat
2011-06-02, 10:03 AM
I have a few players that are quite new. the problem is we play somewhere an hour and a half from my house and the wifi is intermittent. I found the core book a bit heavy to haul I'n addition to the stuff I need to dm.

So honestly looking at this as a way to get something lighter since I'm ecpecting the rulebooks for the box to be bound similar to AP's

the extra tokens and stuff won't hurt.

Thurbane
2011-06-02, 09:10 PM
I think I read in the Paizo newsletter that they're getting together with Wizkids to prodice a new line of prepainted plastic minis...I think these were being bundled with the beginnners box?

Reading the link, no, they're not. I think they are going to be released about the same time, though.