PDA

View Full Version : Master Swordsman's Touch

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-02, 11:13 AM
Master's Touch: vFound There v
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010216a

I'm going to use it in combat so that my Wizard will have a reliable weapon. My question is partially what weapon should I use, but also what happens if I'm wielding a weapon larger than my size, say a Colossal++ Greatsword, do I gain proficiency with just the Greatsword, or do I gain proficiency with a that Colossal++ Greatsword because it is that specific item....

Greenish
2011-06-02, 11:16 AM
You gain proficiency for that Colossal++ Greatsword. You can't use it, though.

Also, copying rules text word for word from a non-OGL source is probably against forum rules. Drop everything not pertinent for your question, I suggest.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-02, 11:21 AM
You gain proficiency for that Colossal++ Greatsword. You can't use it, though.

Also, copying rules text word for word from a non-OGL source is probably against forum rules. Drop everything not pertinent for your question, I suggest.

Hmm, your going have to explain more for me please and thank you. To me Proficiency means I can use it, clearly there's something I'm missing. And thank you I have fixed that. I just wanted to make sure all information was present.

super dark33
2011-06-02, 11:27 AM
profinecy means that you know how to use a greatsword, but its colossal++, so you cant use it,unless you shapeshift so somthing colosuall with moneky grip and these bracers that do the same effect.

Greenish
2011-06-02, 11:29 AM
Hmm, your going have to explain more for me please and thank you. To me Proficiency means I can use it, clearly there's something I'm missing.Proficiency with a weapon means that you won't take the -4 non-proficiency penalty while using it, but you can't use a two-handed weapon sized to creatures larger than you* due to weapon sizing rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize).

*Except with Powerful Build, Monkey Grip, Strongarm Bracers or similar.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-02, 11:30 AM
profinecy means that you know how to use a greatsword, but its colossal++, so you cant use it,unless you shapeshift so somthing colosuall with moneky grip and these bracers that do the same effect.

Ah, Gotcha, I was going by proficient in it's use. Meaning size did not matter.

Darrin
2011-06-02, 11:33 AM
Hmm, your going have to explain more for me please and thank you. To me Proficiency means I can use it, clearly there's something I'm missing.

The "inappropriately-sized weapon" penalty is a completely different penalty from the non-proficiency penalty. From the SRD:

"Inappropriately Sized Weapons: A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies."

The spell description says "You gain proficiency with a single weapon or shield" held in your hands when the spell is cast. The spell doesn't mention anything about negating an inappropriate size penalty... which is almost impossible to avoid. Even Monkey Grip won't get rid of it. In the entire 3.x library, other than Powerful Build or Strongarm Bracers, I've only seen one thing in print that negates/reduces it.

Greenish
2011-06-02, 11:35 AM
Ah, Gotcha, I was going by proficient in it's use. Meaning size did not matter.You would be proficient in it's use, you just wouldn't be big enough to actually use it. :smalltongue:

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-02, 11:38 AM
Alright, thanks everyone, now any thoughts on the other part of the question, as in the "Which weapon should I use?" I think the Sugliin might be good, just because it's 2d8+ 1 1/2 strength, slashing and piercing reach weapon, and is pretty much the most awkward weapon there is, and deals decent damage for a wizards last resort melee weapon.

Greenish
2011-06-02, 11:55 AM
a wizard's last resort melee weapon.No such thing. Now, start thinking like a wizard.

Oh, and Master's Touch was printed in SC, as a swift action.

Keld Denar
2011-06-02, 12:08 PM
Meaning size did not matter.
That's NOT what SHE said!

Alright, thanks everyone, now any thoughts on the other part of the question, as in the "Which weapon should I use?" I think the Sugliin might be good, just because it's 2d8+ 1 1/2 strength, slashing and piercing reach weapon, and is pretty much the most awkward weapon there is, and deals decent damage for a wizards last resort melee weapon.
I'd say you'd be best off with a reach weapon, and if you are gonna get a reach weapon, go with the best one, the Spiked Chain. Reach is awesome for getting AoOs. If you can get some fun weapon properties on it like Wounding, it doesn't matter how much damage your AoO deals, just as long as you hit.

Darrin
2011-06-02, 12:09 PM
Alright, thanks everyone, now any thoughts on the other part of the question, as in the "Which weapon should I use?"

I'm fond of using Orc Shotputs (A&EG) with Master's Touch. 2d6 damage, 19-20/x3 crit, a little like throwing a greatsword at someone.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-02, 12:14 PM
No such thing. Now, start thinking like a wizard.

Oh, and Master's Touch was printed in SC, as a swift action.

Wizards run out of spells. And my DM likes tossing minions at us, stuff I don't want to waste spells on, that's why my misreading of Master's Touch filled me with glee and joy and thoughts of destruction, I mean a Colossal++ Greatsword deals 10d6 damage. Minions get killed easily.

Keld Denar
2011-06-02, 12:17 PM
Reserve feats are ideal for sweeping up minions. Blast of Flame is a 5' radius (4 squares) blast that does Xd6 damage, Ref for half, where X is the highest level [Fire] spell you have memorized. Not quite 10d6, but a respectable 3-5 die blast at mid levels that can hit up to 4 foes if they are bunched together in a delicious manner. Better would be the Elemental Summoning one, since the elemental can take AoOs and will generally result in more damage per round, and also can soak up damage from minions. Earth and Wind are generally the best, but Fire has its place. Water is pretty much useless unless you are under water.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-02, 12:23 PM
Reserve feats.

Explain. Please.

Keld Denar
2011-06-02, 12:32 PM
Complete Mage. They are feats that increase a caster's daily endurance. There are a bunch of them, generally keyed off spells with certain types or descriptors (like [Fire], [Sonic], [Acid], or the Polymorph or Teleportation or Summoning subschools). They have an effect, determined by the feat. Some part of the effect is variable, though, like range, or damage, or duration, or some combination of the above. The source of that variable is a spell with a descriptor that matches the feat. The strength of that variable is generally the highest level spell with that descriptor you are able to cast.

So, if you have the Firey Burst feat, and a Fireball spell prepped, you could fire 3d6 mini-fireballs all day long out to 30' away. If you had an 8th level Delayed Blast Fireball prepped, you could shoot 8d6 mini-fireballs up to 45' away. Once you cast that spell, however, the power of the feat drops down to whatever your next highest level spell available matching that descriptor is, and if you cast that, it drops again to whatever your next highest level spell matching that descriptor is.

If you had Acid Splatter, and a Melf's Acid Arrow prepped, you could make 2d6 damage acid ranged touch attacks out to 30'. If you had Stormbolt and a Call Lighning prepared, you could make 3d6 line of electricity attacks (Ref for half) out to 30', etc.

EDIT: They also give you a +1 CL bonus on casting spells with that descriptor. Thus, if you had Firey Burst and were 6th level, you could cast Fireball and get 7d6 dice, along with the range increase and everything else that is CL dependant.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-02, 12:36 PM
Is there a limit to how many times per day I could do this? For example, if I had Fireball prepared and never cast it, I could just blast fire all-day long.

Greenish
2011-06-02, 12:38 PM
Is there a limit to how many times per day I could do this?No.

For example, if I had Fireball prepared and never cast it, I could just blast fire all-day long.Yes. That's what reserve feats are for.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-02, 12:43 PM
That's awesome, any suggestions or preferences among them?

Keld Denar
2011-06-02, 12:45 PM
As I mentioned, the Elemental Summoning one is pretty much awesome. Summoning an infinite hoard of elementals (one at a time) can make a lot of problems very trivial. They can scout, activate traps from a distance, fight, soak up attacks, etc.

Minor Shapeshift is also VERY good, but its mostly defensive. Having a pool of CL temp HPs that you can refresh every round as a swift action makes you nearly invincible.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-02, 01:02 PM
Hmm, 20ft line, 15ft cone, or 5ft radius anywhere in 30ft, which would be more useful do you think?

Diarmuid
2011-06-02, 02:19 PM
They all have their own pros/cons, but I would imagine the burst is probably the most versatile and least likely to kill your friends.

Though the Acidic Splatter one has a shorter range (5' per highest acid spell level), it deals the same damage but it's a ranged touch attack and doesnt allow for a reflex save like the others.

Keld Denar
2011-06-02, 02:25 PM
For precision, Firey Burst is probably your best bet. The issue with lines and cones is that they put you a little too close to the action. Either the guy standing between you and harm is gonna get hit by the line or cone, or you have to get out from behind him and put yourself in harm's way. Both are undesired circumstances, so...yea.

Also, there are more [Fire] spells than any other flavor, so you have the greatest amount of fuel. Unfortunately, [Fire] is also the most commonly resisted and immune descriptor as well, but that shouldn't matter a WHOLE lot for clearing mooks.