PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Liber Drakenis - The Book of Monster Classes!

Draken
2011-06-02, 03:08 PM
So, in the spirit of the up and coming community monster class project, I decided to reboot and repost my old works, as well as get a thread ready to receive some newer ones.

Revised and added:
Brain in a Jar

Under Revision:
Angel of Decay
Anaxim
Nerra
Redcap

In progress:
Neothelid - Done psionic warlock style!

In conceptualization:
Avatars of Elemental Evil - I had a vision, a vision of meldshaping.

And to begin with style! Pinky and the Brain in a Jar!

------

Brain in a Jar
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/fightclub_brain.jpg

Description & Details: A Brain in a Jar is perhaps the most obvious of undead creatures, a brain fluctuating inside a jar of preserving fluids.

Psionic Power defines the Brain in a Jar, even its physical capabilities derive from its mental prowess. At its weakest, the creature is capable of levitating itself, exercising minor control over objects around it and using its mind to directly assault enemies. At the heigh of its power, the Brain in a Jar becomes capable of overriding the free will of its victims and exercising tremendous force on its surroundings with telekinetic power.

Adventures: Brains in a Jar often adventure for power and to sate their lust for domination. Once free of the necromancer who created him, the Brain in a Jar can turn to adventuring as a way to acquire power and resources to begin its own grand schemes.

Alignment: Driven insane by death and the defiling of their corpses, the Majority of Brains in a Jar are evil. Their powers of domination and control and the sense of personal superiority that such madness instills in them go in conflict with their instinctual hatred for all living things commonly drives them to neutrality.

Religion: Whenever a Brain in a Jar deigns to serve a deity, they gravitate towards those whose portfolios involve death, knowledge and psionics. Wee Jas, Nerull and Ilsensine are the most common deities chosen by these beings.

Ecology/Background: Like all undead, Brains in a Jar have no place in the natural order. These highly intelligent undead beings are more often found in urban or cavern environments, wherever their creators used to linger.

Races: Most Brains in a Jar were originally civilized humanoids, such as humans, dwarves and elves, but that is of little effect or concern to these undead beings. Their transformation all but strips them of any semblance of their former races, making these creatures completely apart from what they used to be.

Other Classes: On average, Brains in a Jar nourish a profound dislike for anyone they are not controlling, a deeper dislike for anyone that they cannot control and a an even greater dislike for those that can control them.
As such, Brains in a Jar appreciate having melee combatants around them, while they tend to dislike spellcasters and manifesters. Brains in a Jar are specially wary of clerics and necromancers, they often do not mind an absence of other intelectual individuals, reveling in their mental superiority.

HD: d12
{table=head]Level| BAB|Fort|Ref|Will| Features
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Brain in a Jar, Mind Thrust, The Brain Unbound, Psychic Reach, Cerebral Superiority
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Rebuke Undead, The Brain Unequalled, Cerebral Superiority
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|The Brain Unleashed, Madness, Cerebral Superiority
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|The Brain Absolute, Fly, Cerebral Superiority[/table]
Class Skills (4+ Int Modifier): Appraise, Autohypnosis, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (all), Listen, Profession, Psicraft, Search, Spot.

Proficiencies: The brain in a jar is proficient with no weapons and no armor.

Brain in a Jar: The Brain in a Jar loses all racial features and instead gains the following:

Type: Undead
Movement: 30 feet. The Brain in a Jar hovers one or two feet above ground level under its own power, allowing it to ignore difficult terrain, pressure traps and similar ground impediments.
Size: Tiny.
Naturally Psionic: The Brain in a Jar gains 1 power point per HD.
Telepathy: 30 feet + 10 feet per HD.

Furthermore, the Brain in a Jar gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to his Wisdom modifier.

Lastly, all current and future HD it has become d12s.

The Brain in a Jar’s unusual body shape gives it different body slots than most other creatures. The brain can use Head slot items on top of its Jar, wrap a Body or Shoulders slot item around it and wear a belt slot item at the base of the Jar. It can use two Eyes slot item, Rings or Necklaces inside the Jar, with the brain itself. It can wear specially crafted armor or robes. Finally it can wear one pair of gloves or bracers on its psychic limbs (see Psychic Reach bellow) and magic weapons and shields with those.

Brain in a Jar Body slots:

One Headgear.
One mantle, cape, vest or shirt.
One Belt.
Two Rings, Necklaces, Masks or lenses.
One armor or robe.
One pair of gloves or bracers.

Undead Type characteristics:

No Constitution score.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

Mind Thrust (Pl): The brain in a Jar can deliver a massive assault on the thought pathways of any one creature within 60 feet as a standard action. This mind thrust deals 1d10 points of damage to any creature that fails a will save, DC 10 + ½ HD + Cha modifier.

At 3 HD and every two HD afterwards, the damage of the Mind Thrust increases by 1d10. Additionally, the Brain in a Jar may spend 1 power point to increase the damage of the Mind Thrust by 1d10 and increase the DC by 1 for every two extra dice of damage, this augmentation can never increase the dice of damage dealt by the Mind Thrust beyond the Brain in a Jar’s HD. Mind thrust is a mind-effecting ability and has an effective manifester level equal to the Brain in Jar’s HD.

The Brain Unbound (Pl): The Brain in a Jar is a creature with a potent mind, and it has access to several psi-like abilities. The manifester level for the psi-like abilities is equal to the Brain in a Jar’s HD, and the save DC for them is 10 + ½ HD + Cha modifier.

Starting at 1st level, the Brain in a Jar can use Psionic Charm Person and Control Object 1/day per HD, and it can use Far Hand at will.

Psychic Reach (Pl): The Brain in a Jar is capable of producing two invisible limbs of psionic energy; these allow it to wield weapons and shields sized for small creatures, as well as use wands, dorjes and other items. These limbs use the Brain in a Jar’s strength score and give the it a reach equivalent to that of a small creature.

Cerebral Superiority: At 1st level and every class level afterwards, the Brain in a Jar gains a +2 bonus to one mental ability score of his choice (Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma). The Brain in a Jar can chose different ability scores to increase at each level and may not increase the same ability score twice in a row by means of this ability.

Rebuke Undead (Su): Starting at 2nd level, the Brain in a Jar may rebuke undead with an effective cleric level equal to his HD. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to 3 + Charisma Modifier.

The Brain Unequalled (Ex): Starting at 2nd level the Brain in a Jar gains Blindsight out to 5 feet per two HD and Turn Resistance equal to half its HD. Furthermore, he gains a racial bonus on all Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma based skill checks equal to his class level.

The Brain Unleashed (Pl): Starting at 3rd level the Brain in a Jar can use Psionic Suggestion, Read Thoughts and Id Insinuation as psi-like abilities 1/day per two HD.

Madness (Su): Starting at 3rd level, whenever the Brain in Jar is targeted by a thought detection, mind control or any telepathic or psionic effect that makes contact with his mind, the originator of the effect takes 1d4 points of wisdom damage. This ability can only affect any one creature once per round.

The Brain Absolute (Pl): Starting at 4th level, the Brain in a Jar can use Psionic Dominate, Telekinetic Force, Telekinetic Thrust and Telekinetic Maneuver 1/day per four HD.
Additionally, if the Brain in a Jar takes levels in a manifester class, it may add its levels in this class to his levels in that manifester class to determine his manifester level.

Fly (Su): Starting at 4th level, the Brain in a Jar can fly with a speed of 30 feet and perfect maneuverability. At 9th level and every five levels afterwards, this fly speed increases by 10 feet.

Comments:
The new and updated Brain in a Jar! Changelog follows:

Fly speed removed from the movement line and added as its own ability at level 4. This also explicitates the fly speed as a supernatural effect.
Strenght score added alongside the Psychic Reach ability, giving the Brain in a Jar the potential to be played as a melee combatant (and removing the two null stats), this also gives the Brain in a Jar another magic item body slot.
Class Skills added... In the original, undead and constructs were not awarded any class skills as a form of balancing and that always struck me wrongly, so I decided to go and add class skills this time around.
Mind Thrust! It is still not a mind-affecting ability, but it is now a Psi-like ability instead of a Supernatural ability, and as such it is vulnerable to Power Resistance.
The Brain Absolute now gives a manifester level bonus to Brains in a Jar who take levels in Manifesting classes.
Last, but not least, the class was too reliant on Charisma, so I decided to change the innate deflection bonus to Wisdom score. Tashalatora brains, go!

Changelog 08/06/2011

Removed one finally from the body slots entry.
Mind Thrust made mind-affecting.

Changelog 25/06/2011

Changed ability score increases to Cerebral Superiority, reducing clutter in the table and giving the ability score increase a better flow.

This style of increasing ability scores is something I have been working into my monster classes of late. I feel it looks much more elegant than the strings of +1s on the table every level.
The total ability scores have not changed (+8 in total), but they can be arranged better and give a more tangible benefit at each level (namely, a +1 bonus to something every time it is gained).

TheLonelyScribe
2011-06-02, 04:22 PM
Super awesome, but quite powerful.

Benly
2011-06-08, 12:28 PM
My thoughts on the brain in a jar:

Skill list: No Craft or Profession. On the one hand, they are weirdos. On the other hand, this means no Craft (Alchemy) or Profession (Torturer) which both seem appropriate to the Brain In A Jar. I'd probably add Decipher Script, too, to go with Appraise for the "ancient knowledge" sort.

Brain In A Jar Body: You use "Finally" twice (armor and glove slots).

Mind Thrust: Should probably explicitly state that it isn't mind-affecting, given that all the fluff seems like it should be. How does it even work on mindless creatures?

Other than that, it seems fine - I liked the original BIAJ monster class, so there's not a whole lot wrong from my perspective. :smallsmile:

Draken
2011-06-08, 05:12 PM
My thoughts on the brain in a jar:

Skill list: No Craft or Profession. On the one hand, they are weirdos. On the other hand, this means no Craft (Alchemy) or Profession (Torturer) which both seem appropriate to the Brain In A Jar. I'd probably add Decipher Script, too, to go with Appraise for the "ancient knowledge" sort.

Brain In A Jar Body: You use "Finally" twice (armor and glove slots).

Mind Thrust: Should probably explicitly state that it isn't mind-affecting, given that all the fluff seems like it should be. How does it even work on mindless creatures?

Other than that, it seems fine - I liked the original BIAJ monster class, so there's not a whole lot wrong from my perspective. :smallsmile:

All three items adressed!

AugustNights
2011-06-09, 07:33 PM
Question; 2 masks? Is that intended? If not the language seems to imply so. May I suggest "One mask or two Rings, Necklaces, or lenses." or something akin to that?

In Mindthrust, there is some confusion in its Manifester level equaling HD and it being named the same as a power that scales faster than the Mindthrust of the BIAJ monster class does... You see if it were simply Mindthrust as a Pl at Manifester = HD, its damage would equal HDd10, but that is pretty clearly a bit powerful. So I like your modifications, but perhaps it may be better to name the Pl Mindthrust that is specifically different from Mindthrust as a Pl a bit differently to avoid such confusion? Brain-thrust? Mind-Shove? Mental Assault? Shift-Thought? Brain-Assail? Cognizance-Crush? Faculty-Blow? Psyche-Slam?
Its strange... nit picky I guess.

I rather enjoy the psionic limbs, though I think, if it were me, and this may be to powerful, I would keep strength a null stat and allow them to function off of Intelligence/Charisma/Wisdom, depending on how you want MAD/SAD stuff. A bit strong perhaps, but it seems more fitting (along with telekinesis and the like).

The Brain unequaled; By "Class Level" do you mean BIAJ class levels, or over all class levels. (I assume you mean what you said, which would imply BIAJ class levels only, but that language is often misinterpreted.)
Blindsight at L.2 seems like a bit much. Would blindsense at L.2 then perhaps 1/2 the same range blindsight at 5 or 7 HD not seem more balanced (despite being more complex)?

Might I also say that I agree that Undead should have class skills.

Just my 2 bits.

Draken
2011-06-09, 08:57 PM
Question; 2 masks? Is that intended? If not the language seems to imply so. May I suggest "One mask or two Rings, Necklaces, or lenses." or something akin to that?

It is intended. To be more specific, the intention is that the brain has two body slots that can be used for any combination of two masks, rings, lenses, necklaces and similar head/throat (brow crown and throat, for chakra binds specificity) slot items.

In Mindthrust, there is some confusion in its Manifester level equaling HD and it being named the same as a power that scales faster than the Mindthrust of the BIAJ monster class does... You see if it were simply Mindthrust as a Pl at Manifester = HD, its damage would equal HDd10, but that is pretty clearly a bit powerful. So I like your modifications, but perhaps it may be better to name the Pl Mindthrust that is specifically different from Mindthrust as a Pl a bit differently to avoid such confusion? Brain-thrust? Mind-Shove? Mental Assault? Shift-Thought? Brain-Assail? Cognizance-Crush? Faculty-Blow? Psyche-Slam?
Its strange... nit picky I guess.

The manifester level is meant to be for the sole purpose of overcoming power resistance, if that is not clear I will have to make it clearer. The ability is not the Mind Thrust power and does not scale like it.

I rather enjoy the psionic limbs, though I think, if it were me, and this may be to powerful, I would keep strength a null stat and allow them to function off of Intelligence/Charisma/Wisdom, depending on how you want MAD/SAD stuff. A bit strong perhaps, but it seems more fitting (along with telekinesis and the like).

Actually, Psychic Reach was added for the primary purpose of removing the extreme SADness of a null strength score. One score you can dump without worry is plenty.

The Brain unequaled; By "Class Level" do you mean BIAJ class levels, or over all class levels. (I assume you mean what you said, which would imply BIAJ class levels only, but that language is often misinterpreted.)
Blindsight at L.2 seems like a bit much. Would blindsense at L.2 then perhaps 1/2 the same range blindsight at 5 or 7 HD not seem more balanced (despite being more complex)?

Class levels are levels in Brain in a Jar, all instances that refer to full Character level are marked as scaling by HD.

Blindsight... May be too large. I could reduce it to 5 ft. for every two HD (change done), but the effective difference between blindsight and blindsense is really very small for me to find concern in splitting them off in this instance.

Might I also say that I agree that Undead should have class skills.

Yeah. As far as balancing goes, class skills are not really the best place to compensate for raw power in class features or racial characteristics.

Just my 2 bits.

Noted and appreciated!

Also, added to the opening post a quick and dirty list of my current projects for this.

Draken
2011-06-25, 09:42 PM
Anaxim
http://www.robertjschwalb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Anaxim.jpg
Epic Level Handbook

Description & Details: An Anaxim is a mechanical being with a humanoid form designed and pieced together by a deity in a fit of madness or terrible and misbegotten clarity. Abandoned, cast away and hidden once the god comes back to his senses, Anaxims find themselves stranded on the farthest reaches of the multiverse, soulless, purposeless and alone.

Adventures: Restless, tireless, without the need to eat, drink or even draw breath, Anaxims are left with few options besides seeking out power to achieve whatever directives and designs they chose for themselves, or more often than not, to exact revenge on their miscreant divine makers.

Alignment: Calculist and emotionless, most Anaxim are driven towards the lawful alignment and do not boast sufficient moral sense or cruelty fits to be reliably good or evil.

Religion: As a being stepping up towards a false form of divinity, an Anaxim is not prone to worshipping anything, not even itself. Anaxim are usually quite averted to religion, in fact, being scorned and bereft by their divine creator, most Anaxim desire to grow powerful enough to tear the gods apart.

Ecology/Background: As a god-forged construct designed in a fit of divine insanity, Anaxim have no place in the natural order.

Races: Anaxim are crafted as what they are.

Other Classes: Anaxim usually enjoy the presence of any individual based on the services they can provide it. They favor artificers and wizards since these are likely to be able to repair and bolster it. They are not likely to have good relations with druids, rangers or barbarians and are even less likely to boast good relationships with paladins or clerics.

HD: d10
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Features|Divine Artifice
1|+0|+0|+0|+0|Apocalyptic Engine, Electrical Discharge, Integrated Armaments|
-

2|+1|+0|+0|+0|Divine Construction, Cybernetic Improvement|
-

3|+2|+1|+1|+1|Minor Divine Artifice|

4|+3|+1|+1|+1|Created Abomination, Bolter Gun, Cybernetic Improvement|

5|+3|+1|+1|+1|Improved Divine Construction, Heliblades|

6|+4|+2|+2|+2|Lesser Divine Artifice, Cybernetic Improvement|

7|+5|+2|+2|+2|Undivine Will|

8|+6/+1|+2|+2|+2|Weapons of Mass Destruction, Cybernetic Improvement|

9|+6/+1|+3|+3|+3|Greater Divine Construction, Divine Artifice|

10|+7/+2|+3|+3|+3|Pneumatic Pummeler, Cybernetic Improvement|

11|+8/+3 |+3|+3|+3|Lesser Sonic Blast|

12|+9/+4|+4|+4|+4|Greater Divine Artifice, Cybernetic Improvement|

13|+9/+4|+4|+4|+4|Tools of Deicide|

14|+10/+5|+4|+4|+4|Undivine Slaughterer, Cybernetic Improvement|

15|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+5|Master’s Divine Artifice|

16|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|Summon Iron Golem 1/day, Cybernetic Improvement|

17|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|Supreme Divine Artifice|

18|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+6|Summon Iron Golem 2/day, Cybernetic Improvement|

19|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+6|Undivine Spark|

20|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+6|Apocalyptic Drive 1/Day, Greater Sonic Blast, Summon Iron Golem 3/day, Cybernetic Improvement|
40[/table]
Class Skills (2+ Int Modifier): Appraise, Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcane), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (The Planes), Listen, Open Lock, Spellcraft, Spot, use Magic Device.

Proficiencies: Anaxim are proficient with their natural weapons only.

Apocalyptic Engine: An anaxim is a monstrosity pieced together by a deranged god, following an apocalyptic design. It loses all racial traits and gains the following:

Type: Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
Land speed: 30 feet.
Size: Medium.
Resistance to Electricity 5 + half character level. At 11th level the anaxim becomes immune to electricity.

The anaxim has all the characteristics of the construct type, which include:

No Constitution score.
Low-light vision.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
Cannot heal damage on their own, but can be healed through the use of the Craft Construct feat. A construct with the fast healing special quality still benefits from that quality.
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
Immunity to any effect that requires Fortitude saves (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).
Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less.
Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected.
Constructs do not eat, sleep, or breathe.
Finally, the Anaxim gains a natural armor bonus equal to its charisma modifier, and is constantly under the effect of a Nondetection spell, with caster level equal to its HD.

Integrated Armaments: At 1st level, the Anaxim has access to two different natural weapons.

Slams: As a swift action the anaxim can reconfigure one or both of its hands into Slams, these are primary natural weapons that deal 1d6 + Str modifier Bludgeoning damage.

Spinning Blades: As a swift action the anaxim can reconfigure one or both of its hands into spinning blades, these are primary natural weapons that deal 1d6 + Str modifier Slashing damage.

These weapons count both as natural and as manufactured weapons for the purpose of spells. The anaxim can have one hand configured into a slam and another hand configured into a spinning blade if it so wishes and both attacks are treated as primary. The anaxim may have his integrated weapons enchanted as magical weapons, but must be present for the whole of the enchanting process.

Electrical Discharge (Ex): At 1st level, the anaxim has the ability to unleash a potent electrical discharge from its body as a standard action. This discharge can take the form of either a touch attack or, starting at 2nd level, a ranged touch attack.
If used as a touch attack, the electrical discharge deals 1d6 damage, plus extra damage equal to the Anaxim’s charisma modifier.
At second level, the anaxim can release the electrical discharge as a ranged touch attack against a target within 60 feet, with no range increment. This attack deals 1d6 points of damage per two class levels of the anaxim.

Divine Construction (Ex): Starting at 2nd level the anaxim gains bonus hit points based on its charisma modifier. Additionally, its base land speed increases by 10 feet.

Cybernetic Improvement: At 2nd level and every two levels afterwards, the Anaxim gains a +2 bonus to his strength, dexterity, wisdom or charisma score, chosen at the time the ability is gained. The anaxim may increase the same ability score multiple times but he cannot increase the same score twice in a row.

Minor Divine Artifice: Starting at 3rd level, the anaxim gains the power to ignite the latent divine power within itself to imitate magic, gaining the power to cast a small number of spell-like abilities each day. These spell-like abilities have a caster level equal to the Anaxim’s HD.
The anaxim has a pool of energy that he can use to cast these spell-like abilities. This pool is equal to the number on the table, plus the Anaxim's charisma modifier. The anaxim can renew his energy pool by resting for 8 hours, much like a spellcaster must rest in order to regain his spells.

At 3rd level, the anaxim can use Blur, Inflict Light Damage (ECS), Repair Light Damage(ECS), Lesser Armor Enhancement (ECS) and Magical Vestment. Using any of these abilities costs 1 point from his divine artifice pool.

The anaxim can target spells and spell-like abilities such as Magical Vestment and Lesser Armor Enhancement on its own body as if it were armor.

Created Abomination (Ex): Starting at 4th level the Anaxim gains resistance to fire and cold equal to its HD. It also gains Blindsense with a range of 5 feet per two HD and telepathy with a range of 5 feet per HD. Finally, the anaxim is under constant effect of the See Invisibility spell, this effect improves to a constant True Seeing at 16th level.

Bolter Guns: At 4th level, the anaxim adds two bolter guns to its arsenal, a bolter gun is a ranged weapon with a range increment of 120 feet that deals 1d6 + strength modifier damage, it counts as both a natural weapon and as a manufactured weapon and can be used in conjunction with the power attack feat. The anaxim can perform iterative attacks with its bolter guns and dual wield them effectively, bolter guns are treated as light weapons for the purpose of multiweapon fighting penalties and as one-handed weapons otherwise.
The anaxim can take Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting (or their multiweapon variants if he has sufficient limbs for other reasons) without needing the minimum dexterity requirement.

Improved Divine Construction (Ex): At 5th level the anaxim may add his wisdom modifier as a bonus to all saves and gains damage reduction X/magic, where X is equal to half of its character level. At 13th level only magical adamantine weapons can pierce its damage reduction.. Finally, its base land speed also increases by another 10 feet.

Heliblades: Starting at 5th level, the anaxim grows a set of heliblades that grant it a fly speed equal to 60 feet with good maneuverability. At 10th level its speed improves to 90 feet, at 15th level its maneuverability increases to perfect and finally at 20th level its fly speed improves to 120 feet.

Lesser Divine Artifice: At 6th level the anaxim adds Inflict Serious Damage(ECS), Repair Serious Damage(ECS), Invisibility, Lightning Bolt, Dispel Magic, Lesser Weapon Enhancement (ECS) and Greater Magical Weapon to its list of spell-like abilities. Using any of these abilities costs 1 point from its divine artifice pool.

Undivine Will (Ex): At 7th level, the divine spark within the anaxim grows in power, giving it a limited control of its own fate. The anaxim no longer automatically fails any d20 roll on a natural one.

Weapons of Mass Destruction (Ex): At 8th level, the damage dealt by the Anaxim’s slam, spinning blades, melee electrical touch and bolt spikes increases to 1d8. In addition, the Anaxim gains a +3 bonus on its damage rolls for every –2 penalty it takes on its attack rolls when using the Power Attack feat with its slam, spinning blade or bolter gun.

Greater Divine Construction (Ex): Starting at 9th level the anaxim gains fast healing 2 and spell resistance equal to 10 + its HD. Finally, the Anaxim's base land speed increases by another 10 feet. At 12th level and every three levels afterwards, the Anaxim's fast healing increases by 1.

Divine Artifice: At 9th level the anaxim adds Inflict Critical Damage(ECS), Repair Serious Damage(ECS), Armor Enhancement(ECS), Greater Invisibility and Displacement to its list of spell-like abilities. Using any of these abilities costs 2 point from its divine artifice pool.

Pneumatic Pummeler (Ex): Starting at 10th level, whenever the anaxim hits its target with a slam, it may pummel the victim into submission, starting a bull rush or trip attempt as a free action that does not cause an attack of opportunity. He may also chose to both bull rush and trip the target with the same attempt, rolling only once for both effects (his target also needs to roll only once).
If the anaxim chooses to bull rush its target, it does not need to move along the victim.
If this attempt fails, the target cannot attempt to trip the anaxim in return.
In addition, the anaxim gains Whirlwind Attack as a bonus feat, it does not need to qualify for it.

Lesser Sonic Blast (Ex): At 11th level, the Anaxim gains the power to unleash a destructive sound wave. This is a sonic attack that deals 1d6 points of damage for every two class levels to everything in a 60 feet cone, a reflex save can halve the damage, and the DC is based on charisma. Once the sonic blast has been used, the anaxim must wait 5 rounds before using it again.

Greater Divine Artifice: At 12th level the anaxim adds Disable Construct (ECS), Total Repair(ECS), Greater Dispel Magic, and Weapon Enhancement (ECS) to its list of spell-like abilities. Using any of these abilities costs 2 points from its divine artifice pool.

Instruments of Deicide (Ex): At 13th level, the base damage of the Anaxim’s slam, spinning blade, melee electrical touch and bolt spikes increase to 2d6 and the Anaxim’s physical attacks count as adamantine weapons for the purpose of ignoring hardness and damage reduction. Lastly, the Anaxim gains a +2 bonus on its damage rolls for every –1 penalty it takes on its attack rolls when using the Power Attack feat with its slam, spinning blade or bolter gun.

Undivine Slaughterer (Ex): Starting at 14th level, whenever the Anaxim strikes a target with two spinning blade attacks in the same round, the weapons latch to the victim and tear at her flesh, instantly dealing additional damage equal to the combined damage of the two spinning blade attacks (4d6+ twice the Anaxim’s strength modifier, normally). In addition, the anaxim may perform iterative attacks with its spinning blades, slams and electrical discharge (but can only perform iterative attacks with its offhand blade or slam if it has the appropriate feats).

Master’s Divine Artifice : At 15th level the anaxim adds Chain Lightning and Greater Armor Enhancement (ECS) to its list of spell-like abilities. Using any of these abilities costs 3 points from its divine artifice pool.

Summon Iron Golem (Sp): Starting at 16th level, the anaxim gains the power to summon an iron golem to its side. Using this spell-like ability is a standard action, but the iron golem takes one round to arrive, and remains for one hour after being summoned, this effect is equivalent to a spell of a level equal to half the Anaxim’s HD and has a caster level equal to the Anaxim’s HD.
The anaxim can summon an iron golem once per day, at 18th level and 20th level it gains one additional daily use of this ability.

Supreme Divine Artifice: At 18th level the anaxim adds Ethereal Jaunt, Globe of Invulnerability and Greater Weapon Enhancement (ECS) to its list of spell-like abilities. Using any of these abilities costs 3 points from its divine artifice pool.

Undivine Spark (Ex): At 19th level, the divine spark latent within the anaxim flares to full strength, giving it the power to force reality to comply to its designs like a god would, but in a much more limited fashion. Once per day per four HD, the anaxim can treat the result of any d20 roll as a 20. This is not a natural 20 however, and an actual roll must still be made to determine if it is an automatic success or a critical threat (if such are possible). The anaxim can declare the use of this ability after the actual roll is made.

Apocalyptic Drive (Ex): At 20th level, the anaxim gains the ability to deliver a brutal onslaught with its natural weapons. Once per day, the Anaxim may enter into an Apocalyptic Drive, while in this state, it is the absolute killing machine, a true instrument designed to slay even the gods themselves. While in this state, the Anaxim may perform a full attack as a standard action, use any of its spell-like abilities as swift actions and receives one temporary hit point per hit die at the beginning of each of turn (these temporary hit points do not stack with themselves, resetting to the original amount every round). The Apocalyptic Drive lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the Anaxim's charisma modifier.

Greater Sonic Blast (Ex): Starting at 20st level, the Anaxim's sonic blast deals 1d6 points of damage per class level.

Epic Anaxim

HD: d10
{table=head]Level|Features|Divine Artifice
21|Greater Iron Golems|44
22|Cybernetic Improvement|48
23|Summon Iron Golem 4/day|52
24|Bonus Feat, Cybernetic Improvement|56
25|-|60
26|Cybernetic Improvement, Summon Iron Golem 4/day|64
27|-|68
28|Bonus Feat, Cybernetic Improvement|72
29|Summon Iron Golem 4/day|78
30|Apocalyptic Drive 2/day, Cybernetic Improvement|82[/table]

Greater Iron Golems (Ex): Starting at 21st level, the Iron Golems summoner by the Anaxim gain additional HD equal to the Anaxim's class level minus 20. This can cause the iron golems to become larger.

Divine Artifice: The Anaxim's pool of points for divine artifice increases by 4 at each level past 20.

Cybernetic Improvement (Ex): The Anaxim continues gaining boosts from cybernetic improvement into the epic levels.

Summon Iron Golem (Sl): At 23rd level and every three levels afterwards, the Anaxim may summon iron golems one additional time per day.

Bonus Feats: The Anaxim gains one bonus epic feat at 24th level and every four levels afterwards, drawn from the list of Anaxim epic bonus feats.

Anaxim Epic Bonus Feats:

Additional Magic Item Space, Armor Skin, Augmented Alchemy, Blinding Speed, Combat Archery, Damage Reduction, Devastating Critical, Dire Charge, Distant Shot, Energy Resistance, Epic Fortitude, Epic Prowess, Epic Reflexes, Epic Speed, Epic Toughness, Epic Will, Exceptional Deflection, Great Charisma, Great Dexterity, Great Intelligence, Great Strength, Great Wisdom, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Combat Reflexes, Improved Darkvision, Improved Manyshot, Improved Spell Resistance, Improved Whirlwind Attack, Infinite Deflection, Instant Reload, Legendary Climber, Legendary Leaper, Multiweapon Rend, Overwhelming Critical, Penetrate Damage Reduction, Perfect Multiweapon Fighting, Perfect Two-weapon Fighting, Reflect Arrows, Superior Initiative, Two-Weapon Rend, Uncanny Accuracy.

Apocalyptic Drive (Ex): At 30th level and every ten levels afterwards, the Anaxim gains one additional daily use of Apocalyptic Drive.

Comments & Changelog
He's back.

The anaxim returns, cleaner, better. And out for murder. Divine murder. They even have a word for it, Deicide.

Class skills added, several abilities and scalings reworked, spell-like abilities severely altered.

And admit it, the table looks so much better without all those "+1 Str, +1 Cha, +1 yada, yada".

CHANGELOG 07/04/2013:

Descriptions: Minor changes.

Electrical Discharge: Now Ex.

Bolter Guns: Details clarified.

Pneumatic Pummeler: The Anaxim may now trip and bull rush his target if he wants to.

Undivine Slagutherer: Clarifications made.

Epic Progression added.

Hyudra
2011-06-26, 01:09 PM
Anaxim

You don't list a source. Or if you do, I can't find it readily. I had to go looking for it in the epic section of the SRD.
Flavor issue - Given that the Anaxim has the lawful subtype, I think that saying they would have "a lawful bent" is a bit mild. It's like saying a Balor has a "slight bent towards evil" I would say something like, "Anaxim are lawful by nature, in body, mind and soul - insofar as they have a soul. While the rare Anaxim may deviate from this, the vast majority are driven by codes of conduct, routines and orderliness that they have imposed on themselves, or that were imposed on them by their creators."
"As a being stepping up to be a false form of divinity" - speaking as someone generally unfamiliar with the monster, I find this comes out of the blue. It's jarring.
You use 'in fact' twice in a very brief span of words in the Religion subheading.
The headings you use to detail the Anaxim as adventurers is kind of redundant and unclear. I would say:
Adventures - Give more details on how and why an Anaxim would start adventuring. What you say basically amounts to "because" or "because they have nothing better to do."
Alignment, I covered above. You can flesh out this section by suggesting how it might affect their day to day actions and behavior.
Religion - Covered in brief, above. Another note - if Anaxim desire to become powerful enough to tear the gods apart, you should state how an Anaxim might do this. This section should serve as a starting point for players to use when designing their Anaxim. As is, no offense, it kind of reads like you're giving the players the end result and expecting them to flesh out the start/middle.
Ecology/Background - You can always say more about the physiology, ecology and history of a given Anaxim. What are they made of? What fuels them? What keeps them going? What's their native environment like? How do they impact that environment when they do their thing? Who or what do they interact with, generally? Are they made as lone entities or does a god forge a dozen Anaxim at a time who might be a close knit family of sorts?
Races - You could flesh this out just a smidge. Anaxim as a race. State that the race and the monster class are closely intertwined, to make it clear for people who aren't familiar with the nature of the project.
Other Classes - Again, a bit vague. "They are not likely to have good relations with druids, rangers or barbarians" - why? "and are even less likely to boast good relationships with paladins or clerics.
" - I can guess why, but it's worth stating for players with less reading comprehension and for stupid people.
Worth stating the class HD.
Minor flavor issue: You use, for class abilities, words like Cybernetic and electrical. These sort of imply the wrong things/flavor, especially when it's repeated so often. Though the etymological meaning of 'cybernetic' is pretty apt, the modern meaning isn't, since it refers to computers and technology. As for electrical, it doesn't necessarily match up to anything on the core creature, which kind of matters when it's a core class ability you're potentially using dozens upon dozens of times.
The class feature 'apocalyptic engine' doesn't really match up with the name of the ability. 'Anaxim Body' for consistency?
Slam and Spinning Blade don't really offer enough to warrant being individual abilities.
Slam and spinning blade don't scale well.
It gets far, far, far too much at first level. You're getting immunity to crits, poison, disease, charm, compulsion, phantasms, patterns, morale effects, sleep, paralysis, stunning, death effects, necromancy, crits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, energy drain, everything that requires a fort save, massive damage and electricity. You also overcome DR as though your weapons were lawful, you don't need to sleep/eat/breathe (giving you 8 hours of free time every day, to craft or the like) and a very decent array of class skills.
Electrical Discharge doesn't scale well. If I multiclass out of Anaxim, it becomes more or less obsolete.
Cybernetic Improvement: Why not just say it gains Cybernetic Improvement at every even numbered level in the class?
Minor Divine Artifice: So at level 3, assuming 18 Charisma, you've got 10 points in the pool. That's a fair number. You're also referring to spells that I have no idea where they come from (Inflict/Repair light damage), which makes playability/viability of the class somewhat awkward.
Bolter Guns don't scale well.
As I read Improved Divine Construction, I can't help but feel that you're falling into a trap that many do when working on epic monster classes. Namely, you're thinking 'unstoppable' and you're biasing a large number of the class features towards such. In the doing, you're actually taking away from the monster's flavor.
It's worth stating that Heliblades are mechanical and dependent on a part of the Anaxim's body.
Lesser divine artifice: not sure where repair moderate damage comes from.
Weapons of Mass Destruction is a bit underwhelming as an ability. The 'may be enchanted' comes late, since your allies already have +2 weapons.
Divine Artifice: See other artifice abilities, above. Also, there's a questionable shift in the progression of your abilities. Why use repair serious damage when you could use repair moderate damage twice? Further, the abilities you're getting are fairly underwhelming for the level you're getting them at. Assume I'm pointing this out for every artifice ability from here on out.
Pneumatic Pummeler: Rather powerful, but that's alright. Whirlwind attack should state it doesn't require the Anaxim meet its prerequisites.
Lesser Sonic Blast scales with HD. Electrical discharge scales with levels. I can guess perhaps why, but I'm interested in hearing the rationale.
Instruments of Deicide: You start a sentence with 'and'.
Undivine Slaughter should probably state that it deals additional damage.
Undivine Slaughter raises weird questions and interactions when you're making 3+ attacks in a round. If I hit an enemy with spinning blades 3 times, does it trigger once? Twice? I can understand the intent, but not everyone can. I can see this causing arguments at the gaming table.
Undivine Spark is kind of lame. I mean, it's fairly solid, but it's rather unexciting as a capstone. Swap with apocalyptic drive?

Ratings:
Originality - I felt like I was reading any one of a half dozen monster entries, ranging from other constructs/automatons (I'm thinking Maug? Half Golem? Dunno) to the Tarrasque (Epic creature with piles upon piles of resistances and immunities and the like). Can't remember if I've seen or commented on the Anaxim before, but it felt like I really had. All in all, it's sort of boring. Not a direct clone, but just a bit boring. 3/5.
Balance - I have serious questions about the Anaxim's balance. Stuff that should scale doesn't, and it gets enough immunities and stuff at low levels to trivialize a sizable fraction of the encounters in the game. The spell-likes in particular kind of raise questions, since you're getting stuff like 3rd level spells at level 9. He doesn't bring a great deal to the table, since he only really does damage and he's not even very good at that. 1.5/5.
Playability - I wouldn't let someone at my gaming table play this. Why? Balance issues, some vagueness in text, and it's really just a bit... boring. I think a player would lose interest in it long before hitting the higher levels, because 90% of the class is just a ton of passive, durability increasing abilities and making a choice between slams, spinning blades, electrical discharges and sonics, all of which do the same thing. Those things that are interesting or different generally come late and are very limited in how often you can use them. 2/5
Elegance - Missing minor details. Inconsistent application of (Ex), (Su) and the like, which makes the entry messy. Table looks kind of messy with 'Cybernetic Improvement' repeated constantly. I question the naming convention of several abilities (Such as the flavor issues mentioned elsewhere and the use of Apocalyptic Body rather than something clearer that allows someone to spot what they're looking for when trying to find racial details). 2.5/5
Flavor - As mentioned above, I take issue with some calls made on the flavor and the skimpiness of the class descriptions & details. The player is left to fill in a lot of the blanks. You sell it as a 'god killer', but even at 20th level, the Anaxim couldn't scratch a god. 2.5/5.

TLDR:
{table=head]Originality |Balance |Playability |Elegance |Flavor
3 |1.5 |2 |2.5 |2.5[/table]

Draken
2011-06-26, 06:24 PM
Ok, adressing a couple of points (well, adressed, just listing them).

1. A demerit on me for forgetting to place the HD.

2. Descriptions were done rushed, I am not very good at that part.

3. I am not a fan of the old, standard, "Monster Body" for the basic race feature.

4. 'In fact' is a verbal tic of mine, it spills to my writing sometimes.

5. "At every even level" vs "At 2nd level and every two levels afterwards". Class features are more often than not written in the fashion I did (see: fighter bonus feats).

6. Cybernetics just sounded fitting. As for Electrical, check the attack and full attack entries of the basic creature. It has an electrical touch and electrical ray, both with the same overall damage I listed. It is noteworthy that those would be extraordinaire abilities there, however.

7. Slam and Spinning blades combined into Integrated Armaments. Magical enhancement made baseline.

8. Bolter guns can now be power attacked with.

9. Weapons of Mass Destruction and instruments of deicide now improve power attack usage with the weapons in question.

10. Construct type... Undead has all the same immunities, it is just part of the package. Healing costs a fair penny and you don't get the -1 to -10 buffer before death, bonus hit points also only show up at 2nd level, so the 1st level anaxim is very squishy.

11. The Divine Artifice spells have been changed so that they show up earlier (about on par with the spells gained by a sorcerer, in fact) as such, a couple of spells vanished. Globe of Invulnerability was added to supreme to emulate the original monster's magic immunity.
Armor/Weapon enhancement line stayed at the levels they appear in because these are equivalent to artificer infusions (but do show up later than for the artificer himself).

12. Whirlwind feat adressed.

13. Lesser Sonic Blast and Electrical Discharge adressed. Both scale with the Anaxim's class level. As a 20 level class it should encourage being taken all the way.

14. And adressed. :smalltongue:

15. I still have to adress Undivine Slaughterer. Comments noted, however.

16. Undivine Spark and Apocalyptic Drive switched.

Edge
2011-07-13, 05:58 PM
Overall, I quite like the anaxim. Just a couple of things I noticed:

What's the action to use a sonic blast? I assume standard, but it probably wouldn't hurt to state it outright.
You say that bolters can be dual-wielded. Do they count as one-handed or light weapons for this purpose?