PDA

View Full Version : Counter Time Stop

sapmarten
2011-06-02, 03:17 PM
Can I take the epic feat spell stowaway (time stop) so when an enemy spellcaster activates time stop we will both have its benefits? What happens then?

Diarmuid
2011-06-02, 03:22 PM
I would think you each would get either 1d4+1 rounds to do what you wanted, or you would both get the same result of the 1d4+1 rounds to do what you want. Both of your spells would end at the same time and then initiative would resume as normal.

I just cant tell by reading it if you both gain the same benefit of a single random roll or if you each are effected by the spell's effects and roll your own random number.

You wouldnt be able to interact with one another if that's what you're thinking.

sapmarten
2011-06-02, 03:28 PM
Who gets the free 1d4+1 rounds first? If we're talking about causality, I would assume that the original caster does. But is this issue addressed anywhere in D&D's rules?

gbprime
2011-06-02, 03:28 PM
You wouldnt be able to interact with one another if that's what you're thinking.

For THAT to happen, your DM would have to set aside the rules in favor of dramatic effect. :smallamused:

Diarmuid
2011-06-02, 03:32 PM
Who gets the free 1d4+1 rounds first? If we're talking about causality, I would assume that the original caster does. But is this issue addressed anywhere in D&D's rules?

You each would get them simultaneously and independently of one another. In such a scenario if I were the DM I would take each of you into a separate room to adjudicate what you did and then come back to the main table and deal with the effects.

Chess435
2011-06-02, 03:35 PM
If I were DM'ing, I'd probably house-rule that you both gain the effects of the same Time Stop, and therefore can interact with each other normally. Then again, in my games, Rule of Cool is RAW. :smalltongue:

Darklady2831
2011-06-02, 03:36 PM
With Time Stop Spell Stowaway, I'd have it just be one roll for the both of you, and you'd BOTH act on your own initiative, basically X rounds of only you two acting.

Edit: Swordsage'd

Cog
2011-06-02, 03:36 PM

Considering the way immediate actions and AoOs resolve normally, there's an argument to be made that the stowaway gets their time first. However, the wording is based on "another spellcaster... uses this magic" and you "also immediately gain", which to me indicates the stowaway would go second.

I'm not sure it works at all, though. You get the spell "as if it had been used on you by the same caster", and Time Stop is personal, meaning that the original caster can't have used it on you.

Diarmuid
2011-06-02, 03:40 PM
"Used on you" and "Cast on you" are entirely different. I interpret "used on you by the same caster" is for determining anything that would be caster dependent (level based duration, etc).

While I agree that having them in the same magic is definitely "cooler", I usually err on the side of RaW when answering Rules type questions here.

Additionally, since it's not entirely clear if both parties get the exact same durations (I would lean towards no) that doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

sapmarten
2011-06-02, 03:43 PM
Considering the way immediate actions and AoOs resolve normally, there's an argument to be made that the stowaway gets their time first. However, the wording is based on "another spellcaster... uses this magic" and you "also immediately gain", which to me indicates the stowaway would go second.

I'm not sure it works at all, though. You get the spell "as if it had been used on you by the same caster", and Time Stop is personal, meaning that the original caster can't have used it on you.

I think the term as if usually supersedes the issue, considering the following statement:

He casts the personal effect on his target as if it weren't personal.

Granted, this is just linguistic extrapolation, but my point still stands.

ericgrau
2011-06-02, 04:23 PM
I heard stories about a DM who always sent foes who'd all time stop and drop a million buffs. A fed up caster took spell stowaway and then the next big fight he got something like 4-5 time stops. He dropped some energy substituted delayed blast fireballs and the encounter was over after one big boom. The DM didn't send as many time stopping foes after that.

sapmarten
2011-06-02, 04:44 PM
I heard stories about a DM who always sent foes who'd all time stop and drop a million buffs. A fed up caster took spell stowaway and then the next big fight he got something like 4-5 time stops. He dropped some energy substituted delayed blast fireballs and the encounter was over after one big boom. The DM didn't send as many time stopping foes after that.

That DM needs to start chain gating solars.

Safety Sword
2011-06-02, 06:47 PM
Rule of cool applies here.

You jump into the caster's Time Stop (share a temporal frame of reference for you catgirl killers?) and you can affect each other as per normal. Buff time? Not so much!

Anyway, that's how I'd do it. I'd also do it this way if someone had a contingency to cast Time Stop with the trigger of someone else casting Time Stop! :smallamused: