PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Barbarian - advice wanted

Arbane
2011-06-02, 04:36 PM
Well, I just started a Pathfinder game. Starting out as a level 1 human Barbarian. I maxed out Strength at the start, grabbed Power Attack and Dodge for my first two feats, and mostly focus on being a reckless loudmouth with a greatsword.

Any suggestions on what feats/rage powers/etc are fun and/or effective? The DM's got all the books, and I think we can use anything in the Pathfinder SRD.

The world is low on magic items, so I don't know how much gear will be available, so that advice might not be really helpful.

Curious
2011-06-02, 04:43 PM
Well, I just started a Pathfinder game. Starting out as a level 1 human Barbarian. I maxed out Strength at the start, grabbed Power Attack and Dodge for my first two feats, and mostly focus on being a reckless loudmouth with a greatsword.

Any suggestions on what feats/rage powers/etc are fun and/or effective? The DM's got all the books, and I think we can use anything in the Pathfinder SRD.

The world is low on magic items, so I don't know how much gear will be available, so that advice might not be really helpful.

First off, get rid of Dodge, it's not that good. Invulnerable rager is a pretty good archetype if you want to go for that 'nigh-unkillable' touch to your barbarian.

Telasi
2011-06-02, 05:09 PM
Pick up the Beast Totem line of rage powers: Greater Beast Totem gives you Pounce at level 10+. Also, the intimidation series of rage powers gives you an option to debuff your enemies, which is nice.

Dodge isn't that bad, really; it's a prerequisite for a bunch of feats that you might want, depending on your goals. Consider picking up the Furious Focus feat; ignoring the Power Attack penalty on your first attack each round when wielding a two-handed weapon is a modest DPR boost.

Wagadodo
2011-06-02, 06:27 PM
Think about taking Invulerable Rager along with Druken Brute. It will allow you to keep raging at the cost of a move action if you get to place where you get drink a potion with out provoking an attack of oppurtinity.

Zeikstraal
2011-06-02, 06:36 PM
Go for the Mounted Barbarian Archetype, get Ride by attack and spirited charge. Grab a lance. Go for the Beast totem powers. Maybe grab 2 weapon fighting tree. Lance count as a one handed weapon when mounted so you can use 2 lances. And now you can pounce with 2 lances at x3 damage.

Can you pull this of or am I missing something?

Bad Situation
2011-06-02, 08:03 PM
Make sure to pick up Raging Swimmer and Climber so you can do ANGRY swimming and ANGRY climbing.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-02, 08:06 PM
First off, get rid of Dodge, it's not that good. Invulnerable rager is a pretty good archetype if you want to go for that 'nigh-unkillable' touch to your barbarian.

Dodge is pretty good in PF. However, I agree. Weapon focus gives you a bonus on attack, which fits more for the reckless loudmouth feel than a defense boost, and it gives power attack a better chance of hitting. After all, what good is a damage boost if you miss?

Mr. Zolrane
2011-06-02, 08:38 PM

Think about taking Invulerable Rager along with Druken Brute. It will allow you to keep raging at the cost of a move action if you get to place where you get drink a potion with out provoking an attack of oppurtinity.

That's the nice thing about Barbs. Their archetypes seem very limited at first, and it seems like they got gyped compared to other melee who got all kinds of neat archetypes... then you realize many of them aren't mutually exclusive and you can take more than one.:smallamused:

Pick up the Beast Totem line of rage powers: Greater Beast Totem gives you Pounce at level 10+. Also, the intimidation series of rage powers gives you an option to debuff your enemies, which is nice.

Dodge isn't that bad, really; it's a prerequisite for a bunch of feats that you might want, depending on your goals. Consider picking up the Furious Focus feat; ignoring the Power Attack penalty on your first attack each round when wielding a two-handed weapon is a modest DPR boost.

All of this is good advice. Listen to Telasi. He is smart.

Greenish
2011-06-02, 11:23 PM
Consider picking up the Furious Focus feat; ignoring the Power Attack penalty on your first attack each round when wielding a two-handed weapon is a modest DPR boost.Huh, I think I've found the feat to use next time I'm making a warblade in a game that allows PF content. :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-02, 11:31 PM
Huh, I think I've found the feat to use next time I'm making a warblade in a game that allows PF content. :smalltongue:

That is too easily abused with 3.5 PA. I'm pretty sure any DM worth his salt won't allow it.

Greenish
2011-06-02, 11:46 PM
That is too easily abused with 3.5 PA. I'm pretty sure any DM worth his salt won't allow it.What, you think getting BABx2 free damage on all strikes is cheesy? :smalltongue:

…Yeah. But at least it's not Shock Trooper.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-02, 11:51 PM
What, you think getting BABx2 free damage on all strikes is cheesy? :smalltongue:

…Yeah. But at least it's not Shock Trooper.

Shock trooper only works on a charge, and you take a big penalty to AC, which is a killer if you miss on the attack.

Greenish
2011-06-02, 11:55 PM
Shock trooper only works on a charge, and you take a big penalty to AC, which is a killer if you miss on the attack.Eh, still way stronger than this, with a basic charger chassis.

[Edit]: Besides, before you go denigrating DMs who'd allow it, please remember that people play on different levels of optimization, and playing differently from you is not doing it wrong. :smallamused:

Arbane
2011-06-03, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the advice! The Intimidate feats sound potentially fun, but my character's got lousy Charisma. I think I saw a feat to use STR on Intimidate attempts, but there's SO much to get, so few feats....

Oh, yeah - the DM's using the Hero Point rules. Are the Hero Point feats any good?

Bad Situation
2011-06-03, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the advice! The Intimidate feats sound potentially fun, but my character's got lousy Charisma. I think I saw a feat to use STR on Intimidate attempts, but there's SO much to get, so few feats....

Oh, yeah - the DM's using the Hero Point rules. Are the Hero Point feats any good?

They aren't fantastic. Hero Points themselves are useful but the feats are really a waste.