PDA

View Full Version : Reverse of the "Locate City Spell Bomb"

Kansaschaser
2011-06-02, 04:51 PM
As a gamer, we tend to Yawn at Creation and Cheer at Destruction.

I know people have spent hours figuering out how to use a few low level spells and feats to do massive damage on a titanic scale, thus killing hundreds, if not thousands of people.

Has anyone been able to figure out the reverse of that?

EXAMPLE: Using Locate City to heal everyone of damage in a massive area.

OR

EXAMPLE: Using the same trick to repair damaged structures in a massive area.

OR

EXAMPLE: Buffing a massive number of people in a huge area.

I was able to create an epic spell that created a "Small Town" in just one hour. This spell had a fairly low Spellcraft DC, but a long casting time and I took 40D6 damage.

Other than that, the best I was able to come up with was using lots and lots of walls of stone and walls of iron to build structures, but that took a long time (normally several days, if not weeks).

Zale
2011-06-02, 05:08 PM
Can A simulacrum cast spells?

JaronK
2011-06-02, 05:25 PM
Well, it's quite easy with magic items... a Lyre of Building produces a HUGE amount of work, and you can continuously play it all you want if you don't stop. Plus, the DC is only 18, but that means you could just find a dead Bard (even low level will do), raise them as a skeleton, cast Awaken Undead, and have them take 10 on the check. If you use a masterwork Lyre to make the Lyre of Building, it gives a +2 anyway, so all they need is a native +6 to do this. Now simply set out a plan for what you want to do (I recommend using Divine Insight or Lore of the Gods to get a really high Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering check before you make your plan, then use Silent Image to show your minion an overall plan of what to make) and turn your worker loose. He produces 14400 man hours of work for every hour of playing, and can do so continuously.

That should get the job done quite nicely.

JaronK

Greenish
2011-06-02, 05:34 PM
I know people have spent hours figuering out how to use a few low level spells and feats to do massive damage on a titanic scale, thus killing hundreds, if not thousands of people.

Has anyone been able to figure out the reverse of that?BoEF might have a spell you can metamagic to impregnate everyone on huge radius. :smallamused:

Doug Lampert
2011-06-02, 05:46 PM
Well, it's quite easy with magic items... a Lyre of Building produces a HUGE amount of work, and you can continuously play it all you want if you don't stop. Plus, the DC is only 18, but that means you could just find a dead Bard (even low level will do), raise them as a skeleton, cast Awaken Undead, and have them take 10 on the check. If you use a masterwork Lyre to make the Lyre of Building, it gives a +2 anyway, so all they need is a native +6 to do this. Now simply set out a plan for what you want to do (I recommend using Divine Insight or Lore of the Gods to get a really high Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering check before you make your plan, then use Silent Image to show your minion an overall plan of what to make) and turn your worker loose. He produces 14400 man hours of work for every hour of playing, and can do so continuously.

JaronK

3.x is just BEGGING for the Tippyverse.

Seriously, it's easy to produce ludicrous results from the rules as written.

Create food and water trap. Requirements,
(1) A fifth level cleric who took Craft Wondrous Item at level 3 or who has a friend with the feat (any cleric, any friend).
(2) A copy of your DMG or SRD section on magic reseting traps.
(3) 7500 GP, 400 XP.

You now have a devise which each time it is set off produces food for 15 people for one day. You can set it off as many times as you have people willing to activate it per day round.

I can now trivially feed a small group, like say, the entire population of the greater NY metropolitan area, FOREVER, with no additional cost beyond the baskets to haul all the goodies away.

For added fun put a few prestidigitation items nearby to flavor it all.

This is core only. If you DM wants to know how making food is a trap, just inform him that any passing tiny or smaller creature will be crushed under the mass of edibles.

It gets worse from there. Staying in core there's Fabricate.

DougL

Greenish
2011-06-02, 05:50 PM
no additional cost beyond the baskets to haul all the goodies away.And that's no great hurdle, what with all those basketweavers around.

Zale
2011-06-02, 06:14 PM
Commoners with a few ranks in craft/Unseen servant.

Jack_Simth
2011-06-02, 06:15 PM
This is core only. If you DM wants to know how making food is a trap, just inform him that any passing tiny or smaller creature will be crushed under the mass of edibles.

It gets worse from there. Staying in core there's Fabricate.

DougL
Oh, there's lots of things in Core that are society-changing in that vein.

Create Food and Water? No more hunger. The only farmers are for material components, or luxury goods.
Endure Elements? No more dying of exposure.
Remove Disease? Everyone's healthy.
Regenerate? Nobody's so much as injured.
Delay & Neutralize Poison? Toxins don't much matter (and if you want to be evil, dump Neutralize Poison, extend the Delay Poison so it lasts a few days, and add an action Poison spell trap into the mix... they get poisoned, but it doesn't matter until a day or two after they stop patronizing your business....).

The big trick is to keep everyone working when there's no reason to. Why keep them working? Well... you know the saying about idle hands, right?

The way to keep people working is, of course, to charge access to the traps. Just a pittance, really - half of an untrained laborer's wages. Then hire people at about that (yes, below normal wage). You'll act as a money sink, and eventually, essentially everyone will work for you. What do you have them do? Whatever you want. Mass production of trade goods, maybe. Society ends up looking like whatever the intelligent person in charge wants it to look like (an unintelligent person in charge is not going to be in charge for long) simply by the expedient of paying people to make it look like that.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-02, 06:41 PM

JaronK

Yeah, I was thinking that, but even then, according to the craft rules you still need the raw materials.

Maybe if you start playing the Lyre of Building inside an iron mine, then you can excavate tunnels and rooms for living spaces. Then, you can use the iron as raw materials to make other things.

But what do you do if you are in the middle of a desert, forest, or rolling plains?

ryu
2011-06-02, 06:54 PM
Wooden structures, compressed sandstone structures, and maybe one house made of compressed grass in the field.

Slipperychicken
2011-06-02, 07:21 PM
But what do you do if you are in the middle of a desert, forest, or rolling plains?

Turn your campaign setting into a game of Minecraft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minecraft)?

Well, that solves 13,000gp of my WBL next time I play a necromancer..

JeminiZero
2011-06-02, 08:14 PM

Use the Wall of Stone (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Wall_of_Stone) spell. It can create crude structures by itself. Or you can use it to make a wall, chisel that wall into blocks, and then use the blocks as construction material.

Depending on how many castings you need, you could either just stick with casting them from spellslots normally, or else commission a use-at-will command word item for 5*9*1,800 = 81,000 gp.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-02, 10:48 PM
Most of these suggestions are all just single spells. I'm looking for massive combos. Things that turn ordinary creation spells into spells of mass creation.

For the Locate City Spell Bomb, they used like 5 different feats to augment the spell. Is there anything that can be done to creation/transmutation spells that make them super awesome?

Zale
2011-06-02, 10:54 PM
If a Simulacrum can cast spells, couldn't you just make a crap-ton of duplicates of yourself, then go crazy with Walls of Stone?

Greenish
2011-06-02, 11:11 PM
Most of these suggestions are all just single spells. I'm looking for massive combos. Things that turn ordinary creation spells into spells of mass creation.

For the Locate City Spell Bomb, they used like 5 different feats to augment the spell. Is there anything that can be done to creation/transmutation spells that make them super awesome?You could use a modifier Locate City Bomb to create.

Create a ton of wights, that is.

JeminiZero
2011-06-03, 12:13 AM

1: Buy a flying fortress (see Stronghold Builder's Guide)
2. Set up Wall of Stone (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Wall_of_Stone) traps in the fortress
3. Set up Wall of Iron (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Wall_of_Iron) traps in the fortress.
3. Purchase items that cast fabricate (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Fabricate) at will. This has to be items rather than traps, as Fabricate runs off the skill of the activator.
4. Hire various appropriate craftsmen and bards.
5. Firing the Wall of Stone trap creates... raw stone. A sculpter/mason with the fabricate item can convert these into stone blocks and maybe statues.
6. Firing the Wall of Iron trap creates raw iron. A blacksmith with the fabricate item can convert these into... just about everything else. Furniture, cutlery, doors, windows, even basic land vehicles like carts. Similiarly Weaponsmiths/Armorsniths with fabricate can mass produce mundane weapons/armor.
7. A bard with a lyre of building can turn the blocks and iron goods into fully furnished buildings. You can set up multiple traps+fabricate to ensure the supply of blocks/iron goods is enough to meet whatever demand a Lyre of Building might require, regardless of local conditions.

Edit: It just occured to me that you could use produce Statues from your Wll of Stone + Fabricate, and then cast Stone to Flesh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneToFlesh.htm) to turn those statues into corpses. You can then turn the corpses into undead slave labour with Animate Dead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateDead.htm).

Kansaschaser
2011-06-03, 09:12 AM
Ok, this is the best I've been able to come up with.

Cleric 3 / Wizard 1 / Geomancer 10 / Mystic Theurge 6

Take the Precious Apprentice feat to qualify for Geomancer early. Then the other feats are Extend Spell, Persistant Spell, and Divine Metamagic: Persist. Any additional feats should go toward Extra Turning.

At level 20, you can use Divine Metamagic: Persisit on at least one spell.

Cast Undermaster (Spell Compendium) and Persist it with Divine Metamagic. You can now cast these world building spells for the next 24 hours.

Excavate
Move Earth
Soften Earth and Stone
Stone Shape
Transmute Mud to Rock
Tranmute Rock to Mud
Wall of Stone

If you want to double what you can do, you can take the the Bracelets of Spell Sharing from the Dungeon Masters Guide 2. You wear one and give the other one to your familiar. This magic item allows Personal range spells to be shared with the wearer of the other bracelet, but it cuts the duration in half.

Buy a Greater Rod of Extend. When you cast Persistant Undermaster, add the Extend Spell with the rod, then both you and your familiar will have Undermaster for a full 24 hours.

If anyone can figure out how to get Undermaster early or have it cast on more than just one person, that person will get brownie points in my book.

MarkusWolfe
2011-06-03, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I was thinking that, but even then, according to the craft rules you still need the raw materials.

Maybe if you start playing the Lyre of Building inside an iron mine, then you can excavate tunnels and rooms for living spaces. Then, you can use the iron as raw materials to make other things.

Glass towers, log cabins and sod-houses respectively.

sonofzeal
2011-06-03, 10:46 AM
CW Samurai excels at buffing ridiculous numbers of people at the same time.

No, seriously. Wait! Come back!

Okay, see, in the same book there's an alternate skill presented, "Perform: Weapon Drill". Like all Perform checks it's cha-based, but you also get a +2 for a wide range of feats such as TWF and Quick Draw. This makes it easier and more effective to optimize than traditional Perform checks.

The CW Samurai gets a lot of those feats for free, giving it a big head start in the skill. The Fighter can go that route too, but the Samurai has a secondary Cha focus, as it fuels both their Smite and their distinctive Staredown ability, so the Fighter remains the inferior choice for this build. A one level Marshal dip (Motivate Charisma) is good though, as is a one level Favoured Soul dip or cross-class ranks in UMD for the "Weildskill" spell.

Once your Perform check is ticking over nicely, check out some of the more advanced uses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#perform)....

Fanatic
The attitude of fanatic is added here. In addition to the obvious effects, any NPC whose attitude is fanatic gains a +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution scores, a +1 morale bonus on Will saves, and a -1 penalty to AC whenever fighting for the character or his or her cause. This attitude will remain for one day plus one day per point of the character’s Charisma bonus, at which point the NPC’s attitude will revert to its original attitude (or indifferent, if no attitude is specified).

Treat the fanatic attitude as a mind-affecting enchantment effect for purposes of immunity, save bonuses, or being detected by the Sense Motive skill. Since it is nonmagical, it can’t be dispelled; however, any effect that suppresses or counters mind-affecting effects will affect it normally. A fanatic NPC’s attitude can’t be further adjusted by the use of skills.
No limit on number of targets. No limit on times per day. Duration measured in days.

Sure it's only a small buff, but a general could affect tens of thousands of soldiers under their command. Every army should get themselves one of these.

WinWin
2011-06-03, 11:20 AM
Enthrall + the feat Magic of the Land allows any number of targets to be healed for a small amount.

The tricky part is that the healing benefits of Magic of the Land require the 'Target' line in the spell description. Enthrall allows any number of creatures in range to be targeted. It is worth noting that creatures just need to be targeted, not effected in order for them to benefit from Magic of the Land (I think).

So buffing the range of Enthrall (or a similarly functioning spell) allows massive numbers of people to be healed. Just make sure the caster is in a 'natural' area when they cast the spell. A city park or nice garden may work for this.

Nowhere near the scale of Locate City though.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-03, 11:30 AM
Enthrall + the feat Magic of the Land allows any number of targets to be healed for a small amount.

Where did you get these feats? Are both of them feats?

WinWin
2011-06-03, 03:27 PM
Enthrall is a spell from the PHB.

Magic of the Land is a feat from Races of the Wild.