PDA

View Full Version : So You've Turned Undead

Kyouhen
2011-06-02, 06:33 PM
Greetings Playgrounders!

So in the last session of the campaign I'm in my character went and accidentally turned himself undead reading some fancy book the DM put into the campaign. I lost some levels because of it, but that's fine because I'm an artificer anyway. Yay faster XP!

Now what I'm wondering is where to go from here. I'm currently a level 9 artificer. Main issue my character has at the moment is he was a bow user with a nice supercharged bow who just had one of his arms cut off by magical means so a simple Regenerate won't get it back. So I'm looking for other ways to have some stupid amounts of fun.

Quick note however, through hilarious means our party has ended up on the Elemental Plane of Pirates. (We were jumping around excessively and the DM had to throw a plane out that we'd actually decide to stop on so we could get back to doing something) This plane has little to no magical implements, which means I may have problems getting materials for wands and definitely have problems getting materials for scrolls.

So fellow Playgrounders, where do you suggest I go from here? I have access to a few undead-related spells (animate dead and control undead are the most interesting) and have a few feats devoted to metamagic and making my bow-wielding more effective. (Probably going to cannibalize my poor bow :smallfrown:)

One last note, this is a high-power campaign. To the point where an army of skeletons are likely to end up very dead very fast. To the point where the DM homebrewed a new type of skeleton with 1 hp and an actual high BAB so we could get a hit or two in before it dies.

EDIT:
Also some toys I get from my new race. I get an aura of fear that affects enemies that try to attack me and makes them run if at 5 HD or less or makes them shaken if they have more than 5 HD. I also get a touch attack with a slow effect built-in with a duration measured in minutes.

Greenish
2011-06-02, 06:39 PM
Craft yourself a spare arm (MoE).

AslanCross
2011-06-02, 06:40 PM
I thought this was a rant on the futility of making undead run away from you. :smallwink:

Since the Artificer can use Animate Dead and other undead creation spells, you could take the Corpsecrafter line of feats so that you can buff your undead. Corpsecrafter and its kin can make undead you raise much stronger, faster, tougher. You can even turn them into necro-bombs!

Also, you could take the Renegade Mastermaker PRC to give yourself a battlefist to replace your arm. I'm pretty sure there are Magic item properties that allow you to charge it with negative energy and heal your undead friends, or yourself.

Zale
2011-06-02, 06:44 PM
Turn Undead!
(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0016.html)
Ahem.

So, on the topic of the thread...

Rip someone's arm off and attach it to you.

Kyouhen
2011-06-02, 06:46 PM
Craft yourself a spare arm (MoE).

Oh, I already made myself a double spare arm. Yeah, kinda the first thing I wanted to make for hilarious metamagic wand abuse with full attack arrows. :smalltongue:

I thought this was a rant on the futility of making undead run away from you. :smallwink:

Since the Artificer can use Animate Dead and other undead creation spells, you could take the Corpsecrafter line of feats so that you can buff your undead. Corpsecrafter and its kin can make undead you raise much stronger, faster, tougher. You can even turn them into necro-bombs!

Also, you could take the Renegade Mastermaker PRC to give yourself a battlefist to replace your arm. I'm pretty sure there are Magic item properties that allow you to charge it with negative energy and heal your undead friends, or yourself.

Actually I think the DM mentioned that later on I'll start getting the ability to use the Corpsecrafter feats as part of my new race. It's some funky homebrewed undead that's mostly like a lich, though I have a few quests to work out to advance it's power further.

Renegade Mastermaker's a damn good idea though... I was thinking of making myself a half-golem or picking up one of the graft feats, but the Mastermaker would be much faster. The DM had some fancy plan for me to get my arm back, and I'd love to go with it, but my character's going to be somewhat reluctant to go for it. (DM's homebrewed magic crystals that give us the ability to cast some spells, but they tend to hurt a LOT when you first grab them. My character got hit by some horrible rolls and outright died trying to get his first one, and the DM gave me the choice of lopping off my arm as it crystallized or turning to crystal myself. I took the arm. OOC the DM told me I can absorb the crystals to get a crystal arm which will give me some brutal touch attacks, but I doubt my character's going to go anywhere near those now. :smalltongue:)

AslanCross
2011-06-02, 06:48 PM
Oh, cool! Corpsecrafter "for free"! That's a cool call on your DM's part.

Remember, half-golem might result in you losing your mind, so I recommend against that. It's a high-risk, high-gain process, but since you get a ton of LA on top of it (IIRC), I don't think it's worth it.

Kyouhen
2011-06-02, 06:57 PM
Oh, cool! Corpsecrafter "for free"! That's a cool call on your DM's part.

Remember, half-golem might result in you losing your mind, so I recommend against that. It's a high-risk, high-gain process, but since you get a ton of LA on top of it (IIRC), I don't think it's worth it.

I thought you only got the LA if you failed the save? Either way I think it required Craft Construct, which I'm quite a ways away from having. Same applies to the Graft feats or feats in general.

Fortunately I had also set up this character to function as a massive buffer. Infusions and persist spell abuse means my character's always under the effect of a dozen different buffs, including improved invis and fly. So I can still function with just wands, I only really dumped two feats into the bows (precise shot and that other one). Otherwise I have Persist, Quicken, Extend and Twin spell feats.

Seerow
2011-06-02, 07:01 PM
I don't have much to help you, but I will say that I the elemental plane of pirates is an amazing concept. I want to visit there, and learn to tap into the elemental plane of pirates to cast pirate ball to mow down my enemies.

Kyouhen
2011-06-02, 07:04 PM
I've updated the OP with some info on two special abilities I get with my new race. Cookies to anyone who can suggest hilarious abuse for them.

I don't have much to help you, but I will say that I the elemental plane of pirates is an amazing concept. I want to visit there, and learn to tap into the elemental plane of pirates to cast pirate ball to mow down my enemies.

I lol'd. :smalltongue: