PDA

View Full Version : Abrupt Jaunt while maintaining concentration

NNescio
2011-06-03, 04:56 AM
Suppose a wizard is concentrating on a spell. An opponent attacks him. Can the wizard Abrupt Jaunt while maintaining concentration on his current spell?

Since Abrupt Jaunt is a supernatural ability*, not a spell, the "You can’t cast a spell while concentrating on another one" clause no longer applies, and therefore the wizard should be able to Jaunt without breaking concentration. Supernatural abilities also generally do not require concentration.

Is the above interpretation correct?

If yes, would the Jaunt count as vigorous/violent motion, and hence still force a concentration check?

Thanks in advance.

*Errata'ed since its original entry in PHB II refers to it as both a spell-like and an extraordinary ability.

Feytalist
2011-06-03, 05:53 AM
Sees to be fine by RAW.

Although, I would say it's more "distracted by a non-damanging spell or effect" than violent motion. The concentration DC should still be more than manageable, in any case.

KillianHawkeye
2011-06-03, 06:33 AM
I fail to see how teleportation, which is instantaneous movement from one place to another, could be classified as either vigorous or violent.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-06-03, 11:45 PM
I fail to see how teleportation, which is instantaneous movement from one place to another, could be classified as either vigorous or violent.

To be fair, it is using an SLA, so it could... maybe, in theory.