PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dungeon Modules?

OverdrivePrime
2011-06-03, 05:54 AM
Howdy campers! :smallsmile:

In my 19 years of playing D&D, I've never run any campaign that wasn't completely homebrewed, and I've only played in 2 modules - One living greyhawk something or other at a con back in the 2E days, and that one module with Meepo the kobold back when 3.0 first came out. Never bothered to read Dragon or Dungeon mags, never really read any of the settings in the books.
So I don't know jack about published materials and modules.

However, I thought it would be a fun change of pace for my players to get to play in a couple of the well-known published dungeons as part of a fairly colossal new campaign I'm running.

I'm looking for 4 or 5 of your favorite published dungeons. One for 4th-6th level characters, one for 17-20th level characters, and the rest somewhere in between. What famous crawls would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Feytalist
2011-06-03, 06:01 AM
I've always been a fan of Temple of Elemental Evil. I'm sure there's a 3.5 conversion floating around somewhere.

Also, I think City of the Spider Queen is in the 10+ level range. It's also heaps fun. It's FR-centric though.

Also, Living Greyhawk is a whole series of official modules, with simple rules around looting, gold and xp gain that make it easy and fun to play. It's heavily used at cons for just that reason.

OverdrivePrime
2011-06-03, 06:26 AM
Sweet. I can pretty easily swap out setting-specific stuff, so it doesn't really matter to me what setting the module is designed for.

Temple of elemental evil is pretty ginormous, isn't it? I guess I'm specifically looking for modules that the gang could finish in no more than 4-5 games.

I want to insert a campaign specific MacGuffin into each of these dungeons. The party is charged with finding 5 'keys', and returning them to their patron. It seemed appropriate for the keys to be hidden in some pretty nasty/fun dungeons.

The Big Dice
2011-06-03, 06:50 AM
I've always been a fan of Temple of Elemental Evil. I'm sure there's a 3.5 conversion floating around somewhere.
There's a very good ToEE conversion here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/conversions/245278-attempt-rebuild-conversion-library-please-upload-conversions-3-5-here.html). Along with other classics like Keep on the Borderlands, the Giants series and
the Slave Lords ones.

Something to beware of if you track down classic modules is, they expect the GM to put a lot of effort into them. Sure, they give you a location and monsters and so on. But the reason for the adventure, the motivations and personalities of the NPCs and so on are often left for the GM to provide.

To my mind, that makes a classic module more useful than a modern one. They're less tied to people and events, being more about locations and a starting condition.

Mordokai
2011-06-03, 06:58 AM
World's Largest Dungeon has 12 thematic dungeons, spread across levels one to twenty. You can run each of them as solo adventure and it doesn't take much work on your part to change it. Sure, everything is supposed to be played from start to the end in one piece, but even authors themselves don't expect that to happen and I've found the adventure to be much better as a source of inspiration for smaller games than a single huge game.

Feytalist
2011-06-03, 07:10 AM
To my mind, that makes a classic module more useful than a modern one. They're less tied to people and events, being more about locations and a starting condition.

Plus the fact that they were actually written by professionals (although we'll leave the "professionals" part up to debate...)
Ah yes, that was the conversion I was talking about. Thanks for linky link.

Yes, ToEE is pretty big, but if you skip all the other side stuff, it is fairly possible to complete it in about 5 extended sessions.

OverdrivePrime
2011-06-03, 07:29 AM
There's a very good ToEE conversion here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/conversions/245278-attempt-rebuild-conversion-library-please-upload-conversions-3-5-here.html). Along with other classics like Keep on the Borderlands, the Giants series and
the Slave Lords ones.

Something to beware of if you track down classic modules is, they expect the GM to put a lot of effort into them. Sure, they give you a location and monsters and so on. But the reason for the adventure, the motivations and personalities of the NPCs and so on are often left for the GM to provide.

Perfect. I'm kind of obsessive about writing in detail and motivation so that sounds like pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Where can I find these? Are any still in print? Do they exist purely on the 'Net? /clicks link. Ah. Right.

Feytalist
2011-06-03, 09:27 AM
Have fun with those. I really enjoy official modules, since they feel actually kind of legit. This is the main reason why I partake in the aforementioned Living Greyhawk campaigns.

Undercroft
2011-06-03, 09:29 AM
Castle Ravenloft. Both 2e and 3.5e versions.

<3 that place. Already got plans to send my new players in there for some gothic horror funtimes.

Pink
2011-06-03, 10:57 AM
WWW.dungeonaday.com

I've been running it for over half a year now and its just been brilliant fun. Though its written as a 1-20 dungeon, the concept is that each encounter can be pulled as needed by a small who is just looking to supplement their own homebrew. Each floor has its own theme, and it is very well designed imho. One level is designed as a hypercube.

If your looking for module with dungeon elements, I love tomb of haggemoth. It's a level 3-7/8 adventure, and has a few good small dungeons in it. It's a game where getting to the dungeons tomb is half the fun, you need to travel to distant points of the world to find the map, compass and key to find and enter the tomb.
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-tomb-of-haggemoth/872128

mint
2011-06-03, 11:50 AM
I have heard good things about bastion of broken souls but it's 3.0 I think.

Keld Denar
2011-06-03, 12:01 PM
Sigh, I miss Living Greyhawk. It had a great social mixer element to it...no matter where you were from or where you went, you just showed up with a character following all of the rules and with all his paperwork and documentation, and you could literally sit down and play ANYWHERE with ANYONE. I met more people playing LG than I ever did in any other aspect of gaming, some of which are still close friends to this day.

Living Realms just isn't the same...

EDIT: Get to know me! Ask me questions! Meet the mind behind the SAN loss! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194049&page=16) Only 2 days left!

OverdrivePrime
2011-06-04, 09:34 AM
Okay, these are great, but there's so may choices! :smallbiggrin:

Are there four or five dungeons that you'd think are essential for any gamer to know? Like you go to a con and say "oh yeah, you know in the third level of Temple of Elemental Evil with the thing with the guy? Yeah my paladin once..."

What dungeons would you consider most (in)famous?