PDA

View Full Version : Should I get an Ipad 2?

Runestar
2011-06-03, 05:58 AM
Okay, while out with my class today on an excursion, I got a chance to try out my colleague's spanking new Ipad 2.

Here are some observations from a self-professed apple idiot. :smalltongue:

1) It is great for surfing the net. Graphics are crisp and clear, and the screen, while small, can be read from quite well. However, typing is a pain, but didn't really occur that often. I can foresee some inconveniences if I want to type long emails or edit google documents.

2) Reading online books - not bad at all, but nothing spectacular either. Portability would be its biggest draw.

3) Didn't really try any of the games.

4) Camera sucks. I tried recording my class in action, and the footage turned out all blur and grainy.

5) Doesn't seem to be any way to type word or prepare excel/powerpoint documents.

6) It is somewhat heavier than what I would expect, but it rests well in my hands/lap, and so doesn't feel awkward at all.

In conclusion, it seems quite an excellent time filler for when I am outside and need to kill 10-15 minutes of down-time, but is no replacement for a laptop.

So what are your thoughts? Should I blow $1000 on the 32 gb wireless+3G version? This will be in addition to the monthly 3G data plan (not sure how much yet). It is fun to have around, that I don't deny, but the main concern here is whether it is value for the kind of money I am throwing on. :smallconfused:

Moonshadow
2011-06-03, 06:52 AM
For that much money, why not just invest in a half decent laptop, or even a netbook?

Rawhide
2011-06-03, 06:54 AM
You can buy an external keyboard for it. One of those super slimline ones are especially suited.

Mad Mask
2011-06-03, 07:01 AM
I say go for it if you have the money. Remember though, it's not supposed to be a replacement for a laptop nor for a computer (not yet, anyway). It's great for browsing the net, updating your Facebook, playing addictive games and reading e-books, at any place, any time, whether in your bed or on your couch or in the bus.

If you want to type on it for extended periods for time, I think there are keyboards you can connect to the iPad.

I believe this is a fun machine that's worth it if you're slightly affluent, but if you're a student scrounging for money for his computer, the iPad is probably not for you.

KuReshtin
2011-06-03, 07:26 AM
At least you're not contemplating doing this. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110611-Teen-Sells-Kidney-for-iPad-2)

Archonic Energy
2011-06-03, 08:03 AM
At least you're not contemplating doing this. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110611-Teen-Sells-Kidney-for-iPad-2)

i'm contemplating selling someone else's kidneys for an Ipad... :smallamused:

KuReshtin
2011-06-03, 08:42 AM
i'm contemplating selling someone else's kidneys for an Ipad... :smallamused:

Cassie's? Jibber's?

Runestar
2011-06-03, 09:00 AM
I am a working adult now, and do have a little spare cash to blow. My desktop is slightly over 4 years old. Thing is, I have to pay if I want to upgrade it, yet if it conks off "naturally", my dad will foot half the bill (we both share use of it). Also, my PC is still going strong, so no plans to get another one anytime soon.

In case you are wondering, I have no plans to sabotage my own PC. :smallamused:

I have a laptop from work, so no real need to get a new one either (since I need a tablet for my workplace). I am not a work-on-the-go kinda person, so a netbook isn't really useful for me. I will either finish my work in school or at home on my desktop. Still, that macbook air is looking mighty attractive...:smalltongue:

Yeah, I read that article earlier this morning, and was like ...wtf?!? He is going to tire of his ipad in a matter of months, but his kidney...

grimbold
2011-06-03, 09:01 AM
Cassie's? Jibber's?
all of the above's?

Coidzor
2011-06-03, 09:01 AM
The instructor for the course I'm in uses his iPad almost exclusively at work for his work-related tasks, and he has an external, bluetooth keyboard that he uses with it. So there's some word processing capability, and I believe they have Keynote (Mac's counterpart to powerpoint, IIRC) for iPads as well.

What do you currently have and what would you mostly be using it for?

Runestar
2011-06-03, 05:46 PM
Doesn't carrying an external keyboard kinda defeat the purpose of buying an ipad (ie: for the portability?).

Also, I am interested in knowing about whatever work-related possibilities it may have, so any sharings would be much appreciated. :smallsmile:

Rawhide
2011-06-03, 06:46 PM
Doesn't carrying an external keyboard kinda defeat the purpose of buying an ipad (ie: for the portability?).

Also, I am interested in knowing about whatever work-related possibilities it may have, so any sharings would be much appreciated. :smallsmile:

The right keyboard is extremely portable. But you still need to make a trade off, do you want a system that is easy to type on or do you want a system that is super slim and all in one?

Incidentaly, I'd still suggest getting the keyboard if you want the latter, then just leave it behind most of the time. You have it for those occasions where you can easily stash it as well.

Mando Knight
2011-06-03, 07:16 PM
1) It is great for surfing the net.

Until you need to use Flash. In that case, you'd need to get one of the alternate browsers.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-03, 08:13 PM
Really it all comes down to if you want to spend all that money on a fancy toy.

Partof1
2011-06-03, 08:17 PM
That seems awfully pricy for what boils down, functionally, to a netbook+a few features.

I'd spend that mony on a solid, normal laptop instead.

Mando Knight
2011-06-03, 08:29 PM
That seems awfully pricy for what boils down, functionally, to a netbook+a few features.

I'd spend that mony on a solid, normal laptop instead.

Actually, it's a netbook minus a few features, with iOS apps and a touch screen thrown in to try to alleviate complaints.

Or, it's an oversized iPod Touch. Whichever.

Partof1
2011-06-03, 09:55 PM
Actually, it's a netbook minus a few features, with iOS apps and a touch screen thrown in to try to alleviate complaints.

Or, it's an oversized iPod Touch. Whichever.

True enough. I was considering the tablet aspect.

Coidzor
2011-06-03, 10:36 PM

His keyboard is basically one face of a case that he carries the iPad around in... I believe the case also doubles mildly as a stand to use the iPad in landscape mode when he wants to do that, though that's really only for if he wants to type, otherwise he's just been leaning in and using the touchscreen interface to change slides during his lectures.

He's still able to carry it around with him easily all the time while he's out and about though, has it all the time when he's out on the floor of the call center. I believe the supervisors have work iPads where I am so they can be mobile and able to refer to specific web pages wherever necessary or to check the pertinent stats without having to be tied to a specific console or workstation.

Now, my personal recommendation would be to check out as much as you can the apps that would form the core of your initial buy as well as browse the app store for the sorts of things you'd just accumulate like games, say.

Moglorosh
2011-06-03, 10:37 PM
I personally plan on checking out the Android tablet from Toshiba next month.

Nibleswick
2011-06-03, 10:56 PM
You could get a Nook Color and use an SD card to dual boot it as an android tablet. It'll do pretty much everything a iPad will but will only cost ~300 dollars. Plus it'll run flash, and have a better book reading program.

TheLaughingMan
2011-06-03, 11:41 PM
I'd say you should get an iPod Touch, and invest what's left over into a laptop. It's the best of both worlds. :smallbiggrin:

Melayl
2011-06-03, 11:44 PM
You could get a Nook Color and use an SD card to dual boot it as an android tablet. It'll do pretty much everything a iPad will but will only cost ~300 dollars. Plus it'll run flash, and have a better book reading program.

I would second this. Contemplating doing it myself, if I can find the extra cash.

Vaynor
2011-06-04, 01:03 AM
The right keyboard is extremely portable. But you still need to make a trade off, do you want a system that is easy to type on or do you want a system that is super slim and all in one?

Incidentaly, I'd still suggest getting the keyboard if you want the latter, then just leave it behind most of the time. You have it for those occasions where you can easily stash it as well.

Get this one. It is awesome. (http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-KeyFolio-Bluetooth-Keyboard-K39294US/dp/B0043TB9D6)