PDA

View Full Version : Sig Length

MoonCat
2011-06-03, 07:21 AM
I've occasionally heard of a limit to how long a signature can be, and since I would like to add a banner to my sig, would quite like to know what the limit is. I can't seem to find it in the rules. Thanks in advance.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-03, 07:28 AM
The forum rules specify that you can use up to 12 lines in your signature and an images that the total height does not exceed 120 pixels. Your signature accounts for 14 lines, considering the blank lines, the quote box and the text.

I think I'll just drop this here.

Serpentine
2011-06-03, 07:29 AM
They're in the rules, under "Avatar and Signature Rules" - go to the bottom and scroll up a little. Basically it's 12 lines.

MoonCat
2011-06-03, 09:39 AM
Ah, thank you very much.

Is this okay? I'm not sure how to tell how high the pixels are.

Aw man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!

http://i.imgur.com/7PsgQl.jpg
Awesome Avatar by Darwin,Squeedorable tabbydoll by Recaiden
http://i.imgur.com/AzGXv.png

tonberrian
2011-06-03, 09:41 AM
That's about 225 pixels, though hiding things in a spoiler would make it much smaller.

MoonCat
2011-06-03, 09:44 AM
That's about 225 pixels, though hiding things in a spoiler would make it much smaller.

Right, I'll fix that. Thanks.

NerfTW
2011-06-03, 09:45 AM
The quick and easy way is to save each image to your computer, right click, and select properties. I don't have a Windows computer at the time, but I know on one of the tabs it lists the image size. Then add them together.

tonberrian
2011-06-03, 09:47 AM
You should be able to find the properties of the image without saving it. For example, the banner itself is 120 pixels high.

Serpentine
2011-06-03, 10:09 AM
Worth noting that it specifies in the rules that 120px + 2 lines = 12 lines.

SMEE
2011-06-03, 10:19 AM
120 pixels = 8 lines. If a picture height is less than 120 pixels, you divide it by 120, multiply by 8 and round up to find out how many lines it take.
The allowed height for a signature is 12 lines.

Also, it's worth nothing that the TOTAL height of images outside a spoiler can't be higher than 120 pixels. And the total width can't be wider than 470 pixels.

MoonCat
2011-06-03, 10:21 AM
Thank you very much, all of you, I think I've got it now.

NerfTW
2011-06-03, 11:15 AM
You should be able to find the properties of the image without saving it. For example, the banner itself is 120 pixels high.

Yup, brain fart there. They can just right click and select properties directly from the web page. :smalltongue:

Rockphed
2011-06-04, 03:27 AM
Also, it's worth nothing that the TOTAL height of images outside a spoiler can't be higher than 120 pixels. And the total width can't be wider than 470 pixels.

Wait, so does that mean that if I have 4 images that are 40x40, I would need to either combine or spoiler them? Alternatively, if I had 4 images that were each 30x120 I would need to spoiler them? Not that I intend to test this out, but I just want to be sure I understand.

Elder Tsofu
2011-06-04, 04:33 AM
If we go by the mod signature (which I assume is in perfect accordance with the rules) you'd have to spoiler 1 of the 4 "40x40" images if you stack them on top of each other (making the total height 120px instead of 160), but not if you place them side by side (on the same line) as that would instead be a total width of 160px and height of 40.

The same logic works for example two.

Think in terms of space, if the signature is too wide and you stretch the boards you'll be annoying to posters who now have to side-scroll to read every post, too high and you're darn annoying to every other poster who has to scroll by your signature to get to the next poster.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-04, 05:02 AM
120 pixels = 8 lines. If a picture height is less than 120 pixels, you divide it by 120, multiply by 8 and round up to find out how many lines it take.
The allowed height for a signature is 12 lines.

How many lines is a closed spoiler?

NerfTW
2011-06-04, 09:46 AM
The answer to all your questions is in the rules sticky at the top of every forum under "Avatar and Signature rules". Here:

The total width of images in your signature may not exceed 470 pixels. This may be comprised of one or more images.

The total height of images in your signature may not exceed 120 pixels. This may be comprised of one or more images.

Any images in a spoiler may not exceed 300 pixels high by 470 pixels wide.

Total height of your signature may not exceed 12 lines or equivalent. A smaller font may allow additional lines and a larger font will count against multiple lines. A 120 pixel high image is equivalent to 8 lines, a spoiler with no blank lines around it is equivalent to 2 lines. Please be aware of text wrapping as long lines will count as multiple lines at our discretion.

The maximum size for any avatar is 50kb.

The maximum total size for your avatar and every image in your signature, including those in spoilers cannot exceed 300kb.

Avatars and signature images must be static (ie. not animated). Animated avatars or signature images will be subject to immediate removal.

Animated images are still allowed as post content (preferably in a spoiler) but not in your signature or as an avatar as they detract from the rest of the forums when they are attached to every post.

Also, please note that if a change is made to your signature or avatar either directly by a moderator or by way of a moderator request, changing it back to something that does not comply with these rules would lead to an infraction. This falls under the existing rules regarding changing moderator made edits or ignoring/disregarding a moderator.

Object Rule
Maximum Total Width of Images 470px
Maximum Total Height of Images 120px
Maximum Height of Images in Spoiler 300px
Maximum Total Height of Signature 12 lines or equivalent (ie. 4 lines + 120px high image)
Maximum Avatar Size 50kb
Maximum Total Image Size (Avatar and Sig) 300kb
Animated Signatures Not allowed
Animated Avatars Not Allowed

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-09, 12:02 PM
It's been bugging me for a while now, and this seemed like a good place to post my question:

Is there any limit on an extended sig in the extended sig thread? (Asides from the usual post size limits.)

Elder Tsofu
2011-06-09, 02:28 PM
Why would it? Its a link (from what I've seen) to a regular post in the forum. It should thus follow all the regular posting rules (not the ones specifically laid down for signatures).

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-09, 02:32 PM
Why would it? Its a link (from what I've seen) to a regular post in the forum. It should thus follow all the regular posting rules (not the ones specifically laid down for signatures).

Thanks. I didn't see anything about it on the rules but thought was worth asking anyways.

InaVegt
2011-06-09, 03:21 PM
It's been bugging me for a while now, and this seemed like a good place to post my question:

Is there any limit on an extended sig in the extended sig thread? (Asides from the usual post size limits.)

IIRC, the thread in question was specifically made to allow for a way to have people have 'signatures' that didn't have to follow the signature rules. As such, such limitations would be pretty counterproductive.

Do keep in mind that the more stuff you cram into your signature, extended or otherwise, the less likely people are to read it.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-09, 03:26 PM
IIRC, the thread in question was specifically made to allow for a way to have people have 'signatures' that didn't have to follow the signature rules. As such, such limitations would be pretty counterproductive.

Do keep in mind that the more stuff you cram into your signature, extended or otherwise, the less likely people are to read it.

Why didn't I think of that? Probably the sunlight and/or lack of sleep.

Lix Lorn just sprang to mind when you said that. The extended sig is both freakin' huge and freakin' awesome.

MoonCat
2011-06-09, 07:10 PM
Does the over formatting rule apply then?