PDA

View Full Version : Class for a Flying Voidmind Troll

yugi24862
2011-06-03, 12:22 PM
For a game, I'm playing a Flying Voidmind Troll. Fluff is that he was the result of experiments to make a invincible creature which would obey all commands. We're ignoring up to +7 LA and 8RHD, and starting at level 7, so he starts at level 4 because its LA10 altogether.
However, I cant think of a class for him, so any ideas what would be the best class for him? Stats are 18 16 14 12 10 8 and 16+ str 10+ dex 16+ con -2 Int -6 cha. Also, is there a better way to get permanent flying without magic than the flying template? I want to decrease the LA a bit.

Luckmann
2011-06-03, 12:45 PM
I am trying feverishly to make a joke about Mindvoid and internet trolls, but I'm coming up empty. :smallsigh:

Go with an Assassin. I'd love to see a huge troll skulking around in the shadows and his dexterity score could be respectable.

Keld Denar
2011-06-03, 01:06 PM
Dragonborn gets you flight without magic or whatever...

It will make you good though, as Dragonborn are devoted to Bahamut, and I do believe it'll actually wipe out your Regeneration since its a racial ability not tied to stats or movement modes. Probably NOT a good deal...

EDIT: For classes...I'd suggest taking at least 2 levels of Fighter for the Dungeoncrasher ACF in Dungeonscape. Trolls are large, and thus qualify for Knockback. Put that massive Str score to use and fling people around the battlefield with impunity. Other than that, you can't go wrong with some ToB dipping and possible a splash of Incarnate for Mauling Gauntlets.

BenInHB
2011-06-03, 01:17 PM
You going to want to find a way to protect that CHA score of 2. Any kind of ability damage to CHA and your out of commission (Ego Whip FTW)

Keld Denar
2011-06-03, 01:21 PM
Voidmind grands immunity to [Mind Affecting] IIRC.

Ego Whip is [Mind Affecting]

Thusly...that is not a problem. Now, if you got hit with The Ugly StickTM and it wasn't [Mind Affecting], you'd be boned, but there aren't a lot of sources of such sticks out there.

I'd suggest the OP takes advantage of that massive Con score and takes the feat Steadfast Determination (PHBII) at some point. Con to will saves is good vs stuff like Slow, and not EVER failing a fort save EVER is pretty smexy.

FMArthur
2011-06-03, 01:24 PM
The Feathered Wings Fiendish Graft from the Fiend Folio costs 10,000gp, which is a great price, but it has alignment-based drawbacks and a -6 penalty to all Charisma based skills and checks with Good creatures. If you're Good and fail the daily DC 15 Will save, you take 1d3 wisdom damage, and if you're nonevil (which includes Good) you make a DC 15 Will save to not act evilly. These are things that can be worked around (Steadfast Determination or the Moment of Perfect Mind maneuver will help you a lot here, negating the save with your massive Con), but are inconvenient nonetheless.

There are probably a lot of druid and nature-related flight developments that one can get, mostly out of prestige classes. One thing that springs to mind is Geomancer (CD) which can get natural flight as well as a wide selection of cosmetic or beneficial appearance modifications from levelling up.

yugi24862
2011-06-03, 02:46 PM
Steadfast Determination was on of the few things I though of, so thats ok. I was thinking of using my natural weapons somehow, as I get 2 claws a rake a bite and a tentacle, how can I use them best? If I got fighter 2 for dungoncrasher. what should my other 2 levels be to get the best use of my natural weapons?

Keld Denar
2011-06-03, 03:00 PM
You should use an Unarmed Strike then. UAS is one of the few weapons you can PA with while still keeping your hands free to claw/claw/bite/tentacle. Take Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle), and possible Snap Kick (also in ToB).

As far as classes, well, it doesn't really matter. Barbarian2 will get you rage (useful for other class features and faets) and Improved Trip from the Wolf Totem ACF in UA. Warblade1-2 is also a great investment, especially if you already have levels since your IL will be nice and high.

FMArthur
2011-06-03, 03:09 PM
Well without the Winged Creature template and with your ignoring up to 7 LA and 8HD, you actually have 6 class levels to play with if you're starting at level 7.

Dungeon Crasher really gets going when you take the full ACF at Fighter level 2 and 6, going from 4d6 + 2xSTR in damage up to 8d6 + 3xSTR in damage when you bull rush people into solid objects.

So Fighter 6 is actually good, but no further beyond that is necessary. Of course, to make it truly awesome you need to take the Knockback feat (RoS) to get a free bull rush whenever you hit with a Power Attack. It synergizes magnificently with Shock Trooper. All in all you need Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Knockback and Shock Trooper to get Dungeon Crasher going. Without flaws, that's all your feats. It's a pretty standard build that really only takes advantage of your size and strength, but I think your major racial features of nigh-immortality kind of stands on its own without need of augmentation.

yugi24862
2011-06-03, 03:14 PM
Thats only 4 feats, and I would get 5 right? (1,3,6 1 fighter 4 fighter) I think I can take flaws, so I can fit Steadfast Determination in aswell. For any other combat needs I just claw everything to death if I can rush them.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-06-03, 03:17 PM
Be a War Troll instead and take half Black Dragon for immunity to damage?

yugi24862
2011-06-03, 03:20 PM
A: To much LA B: Cheese is no fun to play

Keld Denar
2011-06-03, 03:27 PM
Doesn't Voidmind already give immunity to [Acid]? On a vanillia troll, that only leaves you with [Fire] as a vulnerability. You can eliminate that with a dip in Barbarian and the Blazing Berzerker feat from Sandstorm.

yugi24862
2011-06-03, 03:39 PM
I'm not looking for immunity to damage, but any cheap way of getting fire resistance would be nice

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-06-03, 08:21 PM
I'm not looking for immunity to damage, but any cheap way of getting fire resistance would be nice

Half Red Dragon