PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Dragonborn Lady

planswalker
2011-06-03, 06:39 PM
Arcosan or DM only. Please, let's keep private threads private.

"Greetings, child of the Wyrmlord. What brings you to our halls today?"

ArcoSan
2011-06-03, 06:50 PM
Seregven smiles warmly to the acolyte and bows her head.

"I come to pay my respects to Him in His house. I am new to the city and I would not feel welcome if I did not come to pray and thank him for my good fortune during my journey here." she says her voice proud and clear.

"I am Lady Knight Seregven the Blessed of the Ordo Dracon at your service." she says as she awaits for the priest to address her before standing since she is still kneeling before them.

Ordo Dracon can be the ... well Draconic Order that has bestowed me my minor noble title/status if that would be suitable for your campaign setting.

planswalker
2011-06-03, 07:37 PM
that's fine. Your title, though, will be insufficient to give you free access into the Noble's District, but you won't have to jump through as many hoops to have a day visit. If you're less than a baron or if a kingdom local a lord/lady, you'll have to get a temporary permit to enter, stating your business or appointment. "pleasure shopping" is one of the possible options, but each entrance has a processing fee.

of course, creating political connections can allow one to gain greater access or increase their title. Or both.

all of this, of course, is knowledge you'll know once your lackeys get back.

The priest present says, "Rise, child. We are blessed to receive you. Aldhaven is.... a very busy and interesting place. Part of it comes from being the capital to be sure, but there is something special about the place. Another light shining to shift the balance of specialness in the favor of justice and holiness is welcome. Any way we can aid you?"

ArcoSan
2011-06-04, 03:24 AM
Cheers thanks! I hope you dont mind my using hirelings for gather info checks. I once had a DM that frowned on the idea since its a cheap way to get much better rolls than doing it yourself and it wins time.

I had off course hired 15 street urchins and asked them to find info about many diffrent things and spend 12 hours doing it but still!

A small army of informatants is what I had envisioned but he didnt like it!

On the political stuff thats cool. I didnt expect a free pass but its fun to explore that part of the game as well... shopping in Noble's area is not something my current finances can probably take but I would not mind making connections etc.

"Thank you for your greetings father. I am blessed to find you as I may be reborn by His will but it is you that hear him in your prayers every morning." she comments lamenting the fact that her darker nature did not allow her to become a member of the priesthood.

"I do not really need assistance of any kind currently. I had the opposite in mind in fact. Are there any errands I could ran for you and the temple. Any slights against us or any business that could require my hand?" she says as she slowly rises to her full height and now looking down upon the priest.

"I have heard of turmoil and tides rising in the city due to the political state in the Kingdom and decided that perhaps at such trouble times a champion of good should lend his sword arm to the struggle lest the spawn of Tiamat or other ill fortuned deities prevail". She finished with firmness and confidence

planswalker
2011-06-04, 11:03 AM
not at all. They may be better than you, but they're far from good at it. I'm actually doing the same kind of cheese with my rat familiar. He and I can speak and it understands a boatload of languages, so I'm having it take 20 on gather info. every 20d4 hours, I basically get free intel.

"Indeed, child, we have need of help of exactly that sort everywhere in the city, from the Docks to the Noble's Quarter. Skulks run rampant in the docks at night, killing any humans they find. Kobolds are running loose in the sewers, kidnapping and killing gnomes to feed the appetites of their Big Boss, someone's going around trying to kill the Sisters of Salvation one at a time, and I have reason to believe that the heir to the throne consorts with devils. And that's only the beginning of our troubles. Things are so bad that one tavern openly offers itself as a forum for hiring assassins and bodyguards to those with sufficient means. And the City Watch is so overwhelmed by all this that they are offering to look the other way if vigilantes help to uphold the law, and have just flat out put out a bounty on the Jacks. What sort of task best suits your talents?"

ArcoSan
2011-06-04, 12:37 PM
Righteous anger builts within her proud once Goliath heart and even more so fueled by the calling the divine has placed upon her.

"Truly father" she comments disbelief and irritation obvious in her voice "is anyone doing their duty in this city? How can it be that during a time of such upheaval the nobles and the authorities do not redouble their efforts to show that everything is working?" she asks.

"If I were a noble of this city fighting to get my name spoken by the people and my deeds retold in the balls of the highborn then helping to stop crime and bring order and peace so that my subjects can live without fear would be my first concern. It would even help me in gathering clout and influence!" she exclaims loudly.

She lowers her head a moment later when she sees their expressions and looks at him with remorse apparent in her regal features.

"Forgive me father. I allowed my anger to speak for me." she says truly apologetic.

"All you told me would be things I wish I could correct. An establishment that allows contracts of death? I wish I had a fiery breath like Him so I could burn it to the ground and bring the owners and those that allowed to continue in chains before their victims. Our errant smaller cousins terrorising the poor gnomes while noone intervenes? We must show them the error of the ways and perhaps bring them to the fold of the His wings. A group of holy sisters preyed upon by the Gods only know what kind of monster? We must hunt down the transgressor and stop them." she says and pauses before continuing.

"I am unsure what the skulks so I cannot comment on that yet and the same goes for the heir consorting with Dark Forces. But I believe there is indeed a problem I can help with. If the Watch requires vigilanties to help them do their job at least I can make sure that whoever does that ensures no innocents are hurt and that these Jacks are brought to justice rather than murdered." She says with conviction.

"My talents father are shall I say military in nature. I am fairly direct and to the point and I admit I may some times lack subtlety. If you agree I shall seek out the Sisters and offer them my help and also contact whoever controls the City Watch and offer them my assistance. The kobolds and the skulks will have to wait while the murder house you mentioned is something I can deal with in the future when I have learned more about the city and it."

planswalker
2011-06-04, 04:26 PM
"Very well. The Sisters of Salvation work in the north part of Old Town. They have the plaster building on the corner of Home Row and Run Way. As for the kobolds, you might find it interesting to speak with the ones across the street at Solaron's temple. They aren't the ones killing the gnomes, but they might be able to help you out."

ArcoSan
2011-06-05, 04:07 AM
Seregven brings her fist on her chest and bows her head once.

"Thank you father. I shall send a runner when proper accomodation has been found for me and my retinue so that you know where to find me should the need arise but I shall be coming as often as I can to pray" she says calmly.

As she is about to walk away she turns one more time and looks at the temple taking the beauty and splendor dedicated to her patron God.

"By the way father. Forgive me for I did not ask your name?"

Once she gets that information as well and with a clear plan forming in her mind she heads towards Old Town, stopping a passer by to ask every now and then to make sure she is on the right track, seeking the Sisters.

Just to keep you informed.

My idea is to investigate the Sisters and the Jacks since those involve women in need and the City Watch in need. In her mind helping the city watch means it frees time for them to do their job better in other sectors.

The Kobolds also a good thing to check since there seem to be helpful Kobolds and would make info gathering a bit easy.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 10:13 AM
"Argris. Brother Argris. May your endeavors succeed in bringing light into the dark corners."

As you exit the temple, you are greeted by the sight of three kobolds. All three seem to be dragonwrought kobolds of prismatic dragons, for their scales shine irridescently in the sun with a kaleidoscope of rainbow hues. They wear yellow robes with a lantern overlaid on a sunburst in gold at the left shoulder.

"Hello, dragon lady. Would you like to convert to the worship of Solaron?" the one directly in front of you asks. His symbol has tiny prismatic dragons inlaid in mother of pearl on the lantern.

ArcoSan
2011-06-05, 04:08 PM
Seregven considers inwardly the perceived insult but realises the kobold probably did not mean disrespect though peddling their religion outside the temple of Bahamut to a dragon born is definetly bad form.

"My dear cousin, I fear I am an almost impossible target for conversion. I am living breathing fighting proof of the Radiance and Glory of Bahamut" she says and offers them all a warm kind smile.

"I admit though I do not know who Solaron is. Though I will most likely not convert to him I would be glad to know of him. Care to walk with me and speak of his word and function as I make my way to Old Town?"

planswalker
2011-06-05, 05:44 PM
"Sure." He says. As the two of you walk off, the other two stay behind. You hear them casting arcane spells just before you leave earshot.

"Solaron is the Shiny One. He brought the sun back to Hope when it got eaten. He protects and nurtures us on Conviction, and he likes to talk to the angels. Michrael leads them. Oh, and his dark and scary part, Solkiran, is there as well. But he's not so scary when he's trying to help you. Then there's Minrhet, his twin brother, the hot and angry one. He hurts the bad people. His sons are Namtar and Martu. They care more about dragons than they do others, but if someone else really likes dragons, they like them well enough. Solaron is born from the Old Sun just before it died. Then the Solaron Dragons went out searching for Solaron's grandson who was kidnapped and found their way to here. And we came after them and set up the temples to help spread Hope and Life."

He managed to get the entire thing in before you two were even thirty feet down the road.

ArcoSan
2011-06-06, 06:09 AM
The woman listens intently at the rambling voice of the Kobold and only turns to have a look at the other kobolds.

"I hope your comrades are not doing anything silly little cousin?" She said letting the question drop like a stone.

"In any case, though all you say sounds interesting it is not very detailed. You see most mortals travel the world with a few fundamental question. Do the Gods actually pay attention to me and to my actions? Will I be rewarded or punished in the afterlife and is there indeed such a place as afterlife." she paused to catch her breath before continuing.

"For me and those blessed by the WyrmKing those questions are answered in a very direct and obvious way. Bahamut transforms us both in body and in spirit and through this rebirth we know him. We are ever watched by him but not like the watching of a meddling superior but rather the caring attention from a kind grandfather who is there to point your failings and you successes. It is even said that if one is truly in need or truly about to Fall he sends his envoy to make sure a choice is deliberate". Her own beliefs laid bare she stopped for another moment. Though she had no religious schooling she had studied the texts about the transformation long and hard and as such new many of the details of her existence.

"So although I feel that your message comes from the gut and the heart and I appreciate the efforts of your Gods into helping Dragons and spreading Hope and Life I do not think I can convert. I would gladly hear more stories and sermons though. I am always open and happy to hear of good deeds and positive messages. Which also brings me to a question I had. Take it not as an insult or even as a perceived stereotype but I have been told there is a threat in the city that brings a bad name to your kind little cousin. Personally I have no ill-preconseptions about any race but I did indeed hear that one known as the Big Boss is making the lives of other little ones a living hell and as such would ask if you would share any information you have on him and his reasons..."

planswalker
2011-06-06, 09:19 AM
"They're just invisible." He says.

"Well, of course Solaron pays attention. He visits the temples on Conviction every year. I've spoken with him about my troubles and he's given me advice and help. He even allowed me to touch his holy form once when I was sick. He's not like some gods that one cannot touch, cannot see who must work through others. To the true believer, you can go to Conviction and meet him yourself."

"There is an afterlife, of course. Believers who loved him in life and sought to follow the Light Eternal find peace and comfort in Conviction. Particularly devout people ascend into immortal angelhood."

"Well, I thought it was worth a try at least. None of you Bahamuties have tried to kill us, unlike the crazy Tiamaties."

"No offense taken, since they are not our kind. They're plain kobolds, we're prismatic kobolds. Totally separate race. They don't live in Conviction. Big Boss lives in tunnels underneath Old Town. His flunkies try to recruit us occasionally."

ArcoSan
2011-06-06, 09:53 AM
The Dragonborn listened intently at the young Kobold talking and smiled occasionally. His positive attitude was making her feel better after hearing about all the evils in the city.

And then he mentioned Them.

As the Kobold continued walking it realised she had stopped a few steps back and it seemed as if a dark shade was taking over her features.

A few moments more and the "storm" was gone and she shook her head strongly.

"Forgive me my friend. Just a momentary lapse. It happens some time when I am stressed or angry. Also I am sorry for confusing you and normal kobolds. I admit I had not met your kind before. What are the differences between prismatic kobolds and the plain kind?" she said and moved next to him matching his pace.

"I am glad to hear the deity you worship is an active one. Where is Conviction though? You make it sound like a physical place but somehow I feel its not here?" she said curious about more details.

"As for converting me although it wont happen it does not mean that our beliefs are opposite. To the contrary should you ever need my help you should seek it and I would be glad to offer my sword arm in defence of a fellow follower of Draconic God with a positive agenda" she continues more seriously.

"But there is one thing from what you said that intrigues me and unfortunately it is not about the errant Kobolds that follow the Big Boss... you mentioned a faction whose name makes my scales cringe. You said you have been attacked by the servants of the blight known as Tiamat?" she said almost spitting the words out "Where did this happen? Was it before you arrived in the city perhaps?"

planswalker
2011-06-06, 10:49 AM
"Well, our story begins on another world, one that had been ruled by dark gods in the ancient past, before the New Gods were born and took over. Darrmoon had conspired with Asharra, Uglamogog, and Enki the Betrayer to destroy the very gates of heaven, kill He Who Made the Sun, and, in the final act of destruction, Darrmoon the Ever-Hungry ate the sun, condemning the world into darkness."

"However, hope was reborn just before the sun was killed. As dark forces stirred against the heavens, two new gods were born in the sun: Firstborn was Solaron, whose essence was the light, life, and hope of the sun. Secondborn was Minrhet, in whose being heat, passion, and wrath were embodied. It was Solaron who created Conviction, seeking to be always with those in whose hearts love lived. At that time, it was known only as the Shining Lands. Once the sun was killed and the world cast into despair, it stood as a shining beacon of hope for those who reached it."

"His first children were the prismatic dragons, they themselves nearly godlike in their powers, being made under the light of the Sun Which Was. When the sun died, it was they who went out into all the world to bring the light of hope back into the lives of mortals. It was a dragon called Roygbv who found the mountain clan of kobolds and taught us about the hope of Solaron. It took many generations before we came to understand his message, and in that time, we were transformed. Our skin came to reflect the many hues of the great teacher, our bodies were toughened and strengthened, and our souls strengthened.

"Solaron met in council with the other gods who would later be known as the Conclave of Light and there together they formed a New Sun, one far greater and stronger than the old. It was then that we came to understand the message that Roygbv taught us and we embraced the Light."

"Then the Lady Asharra, She Who Births Monsters, rent the world with a scream of death. Untold numbers of us died that day, but no loss was greater than that of Roygbv. With his dying words, he told us to 'Follow the light. There you will fi-'. Within a week, we had repaired the last of the ancient dirgibles and set out following the light, seeking we knew not what."

"Through many dangers and toils our people persevered. It took us three generations to find the Shining Lands, but find them we did. There we found what it is we didn't even know we were looking for: Hope."

"Our people came to live there, and prospered. We are to regular kobolds of this world as you are to a feeble and crippled human. We come from a world far removed from this one, connected by Conviction. It was another prismatic dragon who created the portal to this world from Conviction in search of Solaron's lost son, Solarhet. The portal he created exists even now, housed in the the Tower of the Twin Gods between our temple and Minrhet's, though as all paths to Conviction, only one born there or a true believer may enter."

"As to Conviction itself, what can I say? It is many things to many people, but it is also a very real place, one that is both part of and infinitely removed from the world of our ancestral home. It is the land that Solaron built himself, with his own pure essence at its core. I myself was born in the steaming jungles that cover the central land of Conviction. Of the other lands in Conviction, the arctic wastes where the Faeli live, the deep forests where angels train in privacy, the scalding deserts where Minrhet and his children live, and the gentle hills where the aasimar serve the Conclave, I know little more."

"Indeed, we have found that Bahamut of this world shares many views with Solaron, and if your god is a little distant, it is only compared to the one who visits with his followers bodily at the temples on Conviction. If we ever need your help, I will be honored to count you friend."

"Oh, and as for Tiamat, no. Just on the other side of the Twin Temples, the Tiamaties have their own temple. Personally for me, the last time I was accosted was when I went by last week and suggested that Minrhet makes for a far cooler god for chromatic dragons, since his dragons were all powerful mages. I think a couple of people were even arguing with them just as you arrived."

ArcoSan
2011-06-06, 12:21 PM
Seregven was impressed. The kobold sure had a most interesting creation story and she did not doubt it was true or just as amazing as he had described. Off course it was indeed thus that the younger and less powerful members of a church were indoctrinated and things rarely were as easy and as ideal as they were presented but rather included alot of death and fighting but if indeed this Solaron was a force of Good then he certainly sounded promising.

"It sounds beautiful and I would indeed do my best to offer my assistance. Indeed our Gods do not sound that diffrent in many of their aspects though mine is Mettalic while yours is Prismatic" she commented.

When he mentioned the part about Tiamat her eyes widden and her wings unfurled and flapped.

"You mean a deity so evil and vile is allowed to maintain an open temple here? Is there no end to the heresy that plagues this city? What next? Nerull, Cyric, Vecna and their evil ilk also have temples here perhaps? How is it possible that they are allowed to maintain not just a shrine perhaps hidden in a basement but so much as a temple in this District?" she said furious and ready to turn back.

It was the voice that made her stop. The fact that it tried to urge her to unseath her sword and go there to exact vengeance. The followers of Bahamut scoured the lands to find the minions of Tiamat and smit them with the power granted to them by their patron and here would be her opportunity it said.

Realising her dark self wanted this made her realise how wrong it was to simply wade through them and cut them down indiscrimantly. It was something she would do if she was her old self before the re-birth had transformed not only her body but also her mind and soul and values.

"Tell me my friend. What would happen to me if I entered the temple and attacked the priests that preach of her wickedness? Would the City Watch that does not dare fight against the many injustices in the city arrest me for stopping a temple dedicated to evil?" she asked pausing now considering if she should go back to this temple or if she should continue towards the Sister's almhouse.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 02:23 PM
"Cyric and Vecna have temples, yes, but Nerull's people just want to kill everyone. Worship of Nerull and other deities who just want to kill everyone is banned."

"They probably wouldn't, if your temple backed you up. If you go in alone, chances are they'd be called in to carry your corpse out."

Suddenly, the two of you overhear someone speaking, their voice carried by the wind over to you.

"I'm offering you a chance to serve the great queen of all dragons in her church. You'd have to start off small, but I'm sure you would rise in the ranks rather quickly. It's not too hard, after all. If you want to do more than merely worship her, as all true believers ought, then you'll naturally need to pass a few trials and then complete whatever tasks are given you. It's not too hard, really."

ArcoSan
2011-06-06, 03:03 PM
"This is too much" Roars the Dragonblooded and moves forward with fury guiding her steps.

"Follow me cousin. I promise I shall not do anything foolish but I cannot stand to hear those blasphemous words. Queen of the Dragons can only refer to the evil oppressor of Dragonkind and they shamelessly try to prosylitise to such an evil cause" she calls to the kobold as she focuses on where the words came from.

Her wings unfurled, her posture aggressive yet controlled and her fine armor and clothing glinting the many mettallic hues of her patron God Seregven is truly a viseage that makes many quake in fear. She does not intend murder though this morning but she cannot bear to let this go on.

"You! Creature of Darkness and Evil! How dare you peddle your lies and treachery to those unknowing enough to flee or fight you" She calls out to whomever has just said those words.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 03:07 PM
voila! you just joined a teamup thread. re-post your response over in that thread from the part where you go past the temples to Sol and Min.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201709

ArcoSan
2011-06-06, 03:10 PM
LOL cool! That was quick!!!

Er... could you specify which part we crossed the twin temples? Also should I report reactions/actions and words or just what is said?

And will you post the kobolds answers as well?

planswalker
2011-06-06, 03:26 PM
I assume you skirted just to the south edge of the fence around the TT to get there. You could just re-post your whole post there and it would be fine. I'll get the kobold's response there when you do.

ArcoSan
2011-06-08, 09:18 AM
Combined post goes sooooo slow. I should have stuck with you and ignored them ;)

The sisters of salvation are suffering while I am loitering there!

planswalker
2011-06-08, 11:12 PM
indeed. However, your survival rate dramatically increases in a group.

ArcoSan
2011-06-09, 05:56 AM
Oh most certainly!

In general soloing in DnD is bloody hard if you dont have rogue-style abilities or some multi-purpose casting style.

I guess I just have to wait for them to be done...

I dont suppose we could go into the Salvation Sisters scene? I mean there are three outcomes in the Tiamat plot... a) I die b) I dont die and nothing happens and hence I continue to the Old Town or c) I dont die but we get involved in combat which eventually finishes and THEN I go to Old Town :smallbiggrin:

In two out of three of these scenarios I do go to Old Town! :smalltongue:

planswalker
2011-06-09, 03:29 PM
indeed. I'll confer with Rizban about how extensive the tiamat adventure is. If it's rather short, we'll continue on here.

ArcoSan
2011-06-10, 04:10 AM
I am unsure about that adventure... I mean IC I would rush to their aid and especially since its against Tiamat's servants.... from an OOC perspective though I have the fear that a religious war starting in the district would be quelched very forcefully by the guard so that they can show these things are not tolerated...

I also think the idea that Tiama abducted a PC's sister a bit fishy but I guess we shall have to see :D

Thanks for going through Rizban about this :smallwink:

planswalker
2011-06-10, 04:25 PM
well, religious wars would not be openly tolerated, but if more than one temple starts getting involved, they won't just quelch one side or the other without an investigation.

and Riz isn't sure how long or short this will be. That partly depends on what the people in the temple do. It has potential to be quite involved.

ArcoSan
2011-06-11, 02:45 AM
No problem then. I will hang on tight and see how it goes.

Thanks for the information update and for trying!

planswalker
2011-06-11, 11:18 AM
that's just how these things go at times.

I personally prefer soloing myself. My characters die more often, true, but at least I'm never crippled waiting for others.

ArcoSan
2011-06-11, 02:34 PM
It really depends... some times you get people posting regularly and some times you dont...

I see lyndworm (sp?) has a wedding to attend and that is why we are delayed I suppose.

Oh well... patience is a virtue... one I lack but heh :)

planswalker
2011-06-11, 02:37 PM
luckliy, it's one you learn by practice