PDA

View Full Version : Would it be over powered if...? [DragonBorn]

NineThePuma
2011-06-03, 09:38 PM
So, I wanna refluff dragon born and get rid of the whole 'It's a template' aspect.

So my question is, would giving both the Breath Weapon and the Mind aspect (which enhances your senses) be overpowered on an LA +0?

Could I add the wings to this while retaining LA +0, or would I need to bump it to LA +1?

Cog
2011-06-03, 10:09 PM
Considering that Dragonborn pretty much replaces everything already, turning it into a race doesn't weaken it much. You could perhaps make each aspect into a Dragonborn-only feat, with one selected at first level. If that's not quite strong enough, add in a free feat slot at, say, 6th character level that can be used to take another.

NineThePuma
2011-06-03, 10:14 PM
So your response to me asking if it would be overpowered to offer a breath weapon with some special senses is to say to make it take feat slots to have any of the aspects?

Helpful.

Cog
2011-06-03, 10:25 PM
Perhaps I wasn't clear - one free aspect at first level, and perhaps a second free one later on, with the ability to get more faster if you really want by spending an actual feat slot. Note that the Wing aspect is split into two normal feats for other characters.

NineThePuma
2011-06-03, 10:36 PM
So, the Mind Aspect is worth it?

That's an odd argument to make.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-03, 10:38 PM
Here's a simple way of determining it.

One aspect- LA +0

Two aspects- LA +1

Three aspects- LA +2

Cog
2011-06-03, 10:43 PM
It's Darkvision with ultimately a pretty good range, more skill boosts than most single feats, and other modifiers on top of that. There's plenty of better feats, but it'd be far, far from the worst feat in 3.5 as well.

I expect it would be the most likely of the three to be dropped, sure. But I also think the breath aspect alone is fairly strong, and unless you're looking for a particularly high balance point (azurin, strongheart halfling, whisper gnome, etc., which you never said if you were), I don't think there's any reason to put those senses on top of it. I'd suspect those are the best senses you can get at ECL +0 already.

Coidzor
2011-06-03, 11:02 PM
Hmm... Maybe if you just do it as is. Add in some scaling to it and it should be fine though.