PDA

View Full Version : Help with a (possibly) one-shot good-aligned game.

dethkruzer
2011-06-04, 04:14 AM
Ok, so I'm planning on running a good-aligned game for a friend of mine ver soon. Now i have been thinking on what I want i to contain, and while all this "epic battle vs. the forces of EVULZ" is nice and all, I was looking for something different.

I was hoping to create a more roleplaying heavy experience, focusing on the cprrupting influence of evil. but when i think of how to achieve this, I keep coming up with a blank.

The game will start at level 8, and the player will have one or two NPC allies.

any help on campaign idea would be appreciated.

NNescio
2011-06-04, 04:33 AM
Something involving Pazuzu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pazuzu_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29) and some well-intentioned people?

(Nothing involving Candles of Invocation, of course.)

dethkruzer
2011-06-04, 04:57 AM
I think i would rather leave out high-powered evil outsiders.

dethkruzer
2011-06-04, 07:38 AM
so ummm... Any advice, I'm kinda in a hurry.

Amnestic
2011-06-04, 08:10 AM
A simple and obvious answer is to simply put him into moral dilemmas which arguably put the good-of-the-many above the good-of-the-few. Once he starts seeing the sacrifice of a few innocents as permissable in the course of bringing justice to evil, everything is merely a matter of degrees (with a hint of the Sorites Paradox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox)).

hisnamehere
2011-06-04, 08:52 AM
It should be noted that political intrigue isn't written/composed quickly. For such, you need lots of opposing factions/opinions with planned (by you) reactions to others' factions actions.

I've never designed one myself, but have played in a few. Seems that the best way to do this is to have a very detailed area (such as a large city, or collection of towns), wherein you (as DM) know all the NPCs, their alignments and personalities, their motivations and potential reactions. You then drop the PC into the area at an appropriate place dependant on their class/race/alignment, and let them compose the adventures for the most part.
You can have some dungeon crawls pre-established (with scaling difficulty dependant on PC level/power) and plot hooks to get things moving, but still leave things open enough for the PC to blaze their own trail.
Then, every time the PC makes a decision or imposes a change on his/her environment (e.g. defeats the head of the thieves' guild, exposes the corrupt mayor, etc.), you can adjust the campaign setting (i.e. the city or collection of towns) dependant on those decisions and/or changes, creating a very vibrant world for the PC to play within.

Although, I suppose this could be said to be the best way to play any campaign.

Anyway, hope the rambling had SOMETHING you could use,

dethkruzer
2011-06-04, 11:20 AM
Anyway, hope the rambling had SOMETHING you could use,

This "rambling" was probably the most useful thing i've read today.

hisnamehere
2011-06-05, 07:06 PM
Cheers. :smallbiggrin: