PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Cohort

ILM
2011-06-04, 05:00 AM
So I get to play with an ECL 20 dragon cohort (gold dragon, too). The table pretty much says Young Adult Gold Dragon, and I'm going with that. +6 LA, 14 RHD, no class levels.

I've go the tables from the SRD for stats, but I actually never built a full-on monster character so I just need you to correct me if I'm wrong (please :smallbiggrin:). Especially if (since) I want to switch around the stats and skills somewhat so will probably have to rebuild from the gound up.

I guess you just go from the ground up, starting with stats then applying BAB and saves and skills according to the proper HD type, all 14 of them. Feats are taken at the first, third then ever 3 HD? Are there any restrictions on them such as only being able to take monster feats? Do dragons get a bonus feat at first or something? (I seem to recall something like that)

Runestar
2011-06-04, 05:31 AM
The rules are a little silent on this, but as a cohort, I feel it should enjoy the same stat generation rules as the rest of the party. So if your PCs used 28 point buy to generate their stats, the dragon would enjoy the same benefits.

It would get 5 feats (1 for 1st HD, +1 every 3rd HD). They can take any feats they qualify for. Your DM may want you to "manually" level up your dragon as you take your feats (eg: your feat from your 1st HD cannot have a prereq of bab+2 or more), check with him.

They don't get bonus feats.

SillySymphonies
2011-06-04, 09:38 AM
Young Gold Dragons as Characters
Young gold dragon characters possess the following racial traits.
- +14 Strength, +6 Constitution, +6 Intelligence, +6 Wisdom, +6 Charisma.
- Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
- Space/reach: 10 feet/5 feet (10 feet with bite).
- A young gold dragon’s base land speed is 60 feet. It also has a fly speed of 200 feet (poor) and a swim speed of 60 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: A young gold dragon begins with fourteen levels of dragon, which provide 14d12 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +14, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +9, Ref +9 and Will +9.
- Racial Skills: A young gold dragon’s dragon levels give it skill points equal to 17 × (6 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (any), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, and Use Magic Device. A young gold dragon has a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks, and can always choose to take 10 on Swim checks even if rushed or threatened. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
- Racial Feats: A young gold dragon’s dragon levels give it five feats.
- +13 natural armor bonus.
- Natural weapons: Bite (2d6), 2 claws (1d8), 2 wings (1d6), and tail slap (1d8).
- True dragon traits (see page 68): Blindsense out to 60 feet, darkvision out to 120 feet, immunity to paralysis and sleep, keen senses.
- Special Attacks (see above): Breath weapon (Ref DC 17 + character’s Con modifier or Fort DC 17 + character’s Con modifier).
- Spells: A young gold dragon casts spells as a 1st-level sorcerer. If the character takes additional levels of sorcerer, these levels stack with the young gold dragon’s base spellcasting ability for spells known, spells per day, and other effects dependant on caster level. For example, a young gold dragon 2nd-level sorcerer has the same spells known, spells per day and caster level as any other 3rd-level sorcerer. A young gold dragon character likewise uses the sum of its racial spellcasting levels and class levels to determine the abilities of its familiar. A young gold dragon can also cast cleric spells and those from the Good, Law, and Luck domains as arcane spells.
- Special Qualities (see above): Alternate form, immunity to fire, vulnerability to cold, water breathing.
- Automatic Languages: Draconic.
- Favored Class: Sorceror.
- Level adjustment +6.

ILM
2011-06-04, 01:24 PM
Whoa thanks! But: a) where does that come from, and b) are you sure you're allowed to copy it verdatim here?

Runestar
2011-06-04, 07:28 PM
I am not aware of any source which lists starting stats for a gold dragon. He probably typed it himself, so it wouldn't be an infraction to post your own material. :smallsmile:

It is not that hard to derive those stat modifiers from the existing gold dragon statblock anyways, and you likely already know most of them.

Solaris
2011-06-04, 07:31 PM
Whoa thanks! But: a) where does that come from, and b) are you sure you're allowed to copy it verdatim here?

It's from the SRD. It's okay.

gallagher
2011-06-04, 09:19 PM
you should totally get a familiar for your dragon.

can you imagine a dragon with a little hummingbird whistling around its head?

SillySymphonies
2011-06-05, 05:06 AM
Whoa thanks! But: a) where does that come from, and b) are you sure you're allowed to copy it verdatim [sic] here?
You're welcome. :smallsmile:
My players tend to play monster PCs, so I wrote up 'as characters' entries for all MM monsters with LA but who didn't have an 'as characters' entry in the MM. You can derive the stats yourself from the SRD: [link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm#goldDragon)].