PDA

View Full Version : Monk / Sorcerer Build

Mad Gene Vane
2011-06-04, 06:56 AM
Playing a monk / sorcerer build in a very hybrid system. It's in the Eberron campaign setting.

The DM for a twist wanted to use Pathfinder rules, but this campaign started when only the Pathfinder play-test core rules were out.

So at this point, we can pick and chose what we feel suits our character best from the Pathfinder play-test rules, Core Rules, and we can use any of the WotC 3.5 books for spells, feats, and prestige classes.

Right now I'm a 7th level character, with 3 levels of Sorcerer (Draconic bloodline), 2 levels of Monk and 2 levels of Enlightened Fist. I plan on adding the Abjurant Champion prestige class from Complete Arcane.

Since I'm picking a prestige class that focuses on abjuration spells, I was wondering what abjuration spells would be useful for a melee character to pick.

Right now my caster level is equal to a 4th level sorcerer. When I get to level twenty, my caster level will be equal to a 16th level sorcerer.

Right now I have the following Spells Known: 1st Level: Shield, Mage Armor, Corrosive Grasp (3.5 version), Shocking Grasp, Stone Fist (3.5 version) and 2nd Level: False Life.

Stats: Str 16, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 14 (from a very generous home brew point-buy system). I will have to put every stat adjustment from here on out to Cha.

ericgrau
2011-06-04, 10:32 AM
Well the long duration buff abjurations of course, cast in the morning or right before the dungeon/etc. if travelling through the wilderness. Get a lesser rod of extend spell too, or maybe the feat once you can cast level 5+ spells.
1: protection from evil (swap out later)
2: protection from arrows (swap out later), resist energy
3: magic circle against evil, protection from energy
4: dimensional anchor (if you like to grapple), stoneskin
5:
6: antimagic field, repulsion
7: spell turning
8: mind blank, protection from spells

Check out chill touch. It's good on monk/arcane gishes. Other than that load up on a lot of buffs in general, but only those with a duration of 10 min/level or more. Get maybe 1 or 2 with a shorter duration, b/c you may only get 1 buffing round if even that before a fight. Btw you can cast a touch spell ahead of time and hold it and it'll discharge next time you punch a foe. So those also count as a pre-combat "buffs". Enlarge person is a great buff to have if you grapple, but alas it is also short duration. Choose wisely, can't cast them all. In fact I'd suggest swapping one of your 1st level short duration buffs for feather fall simply because of how limited your actions will be.

Getting alter self as a 2nd level buff could reduce MAD, as it makes strength and dex less important. But then it'd suck if you're out trekking for hours at a time and lose it.

Kaeso
2011-06-04, 11:26 AM
It's a shame that you have such a high wis and such a low cha. If you would've taken the feat "Ascetic mage" from complete adventurer, then all of your wis-based monk abilities would be keyed off cha, significantly reducing the MAD.

With an enlightened fist, I'd look for a lot of spells that are either touch or ray with some nasty effects and use your EF ability to deliver them during an unarmed full attack. I'd also look for a way to find pounce (I think there's a feat is shining south that gives it to you, or some spells that grant you extra actions).