PDA

View Full Version : d&d 3.5 E10 - Temple of Elemental Evil conversion

Abemad
2011-06-04, 10:36 AM
Okay, so I've wanted to run the TGDQ modules (temple of elemental evil and queen of the spiders) for a while now. But, at the same time I've wanted to try E6, mostly because i feel that high level play gets a bit silly... :smalltongue:

So, to compromise, I thought i'd use E10, with the following modifications.

Spells
Only spells of level 3 or lower exists. Level 4 and 5 spells slots are exclusively for metamagic or meeting feat requirements.

New Feats
Divine spell power [General]
Prerequisite: Ability to cast 4th level divine spells
Benefit: You may choose a 4th level spell normally available to your class. That spell is now usable as a spell like ability 1/week.
Special: When choosing this feat, you permanently lose 4th level spell slot. You must have the DM’s permission to choose the spell.
Bonus spell slots may also be “lost” for the purpose of this feat, but if you later lose them, you also lose the ability to use the spell like ability, until you regain them.

Greater divine spell power [General]
Prerequisite: Ability to cast 5th level divine spells
Benefit: You may choose a 5th level spell normally available to your class. That spell is now usable as a spell like ability 1/month.
Special: When choosing this feat, you permanently lose a 5th level spell slot. You must have the DM’s permission to choose the spell.
Bonus spell slots may also be “lost” for the purpose of this feat, but if you later lose them, you also lose the ability to use the spell like ability, until you regain them.

Arcane spell power [General]
Prerequisite: Ability to cast 4th level arcane spells
Benefit: You may choose a 4th level spell normally available to your class. That spell is now usable as a spell like ability 1/week.
Special: When choosing this feat, you permanently lose 4th level spell slot. You must have the DM’s permission to choose the spell.

Greater arcane spell power [General]
Prerequisite: Ability to cast 5th level arcane spells
Benefit: You may choose a 5th level spell normally available to your class. That spell is now usable as a spell like ability 1/month.
Special: When choosing this feat, you permanently lose a 5th level spell slot. You must have the DM’s permission to choose the spell.

Greater rage [Capstone]
Prerequisite: Barbarian 10
Benefit: Your bonuses to strength and constitution during a rage increases to +6, and your bonus to will saves increases to +3. Your penalty to AC remains at -2.

Greater flurry [Capstone]
Prerequisite: Monk 10
Benefit: You gain a second extra attack at your highest attack bonus.

Master rogue [Capstone]
Prerequisite: Rogue 10
Benefit: You may choose an additional rogue special ability (see the rogue class for more information).
Special: You may choose this feat multiple times, each time you gain a new special ability.

Martial Prowess [Fighter, Capstone]
Prerequisite: Fighter 10
Benefit: Your base attack bonus increases by 1.

Forge ring [Item creation]
Prerequisite: Caster level 8th, craft wondrous item.
Benefit: You may create magical rings, provided you meet all the requirements.

Craft rod [Item creation]
Prerequisite: Caster level 8th, craft wand.
Benefit: You may create magical rods, provided you meet all the requirements.

Craft staff [Item creation]
Prerequisite: Caster level 10th, craft rod, craft wand.
Benefit: You may create magical staves, provided you meet all the requirements.

Ability training [General]
Benefit: Choose one ability, you qualify for the ability advancement feat for that ability.
Special: This feat may be chosen multiple times, its effect do not stack. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a different ability.

Ability advancement [General]
Prerequisite: Ability training in the chosen ability
Benefit: Chose one ability. You gain a permanent +2 bonus to that ability.
Special: This feat may be chosen multiple times, its effect do not stack. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a different ability.

Class changes
Spontaneous spellcasters may choose metamagic affected version of spells known, for example, a sorcerer may select empowered fireball as a 5th level spell known, with the normal casting time of 1 standard action, even if he doesn’t know the fireball spell or have the empower spell feat.

Sorcerers gain draconic heritage as a bonus feat at 1st level, and an additional draconic feat at 5th and 10th level. (Draconic legacy gives 3 spells known, a level 1, 3 and 5. The spells are decided by the DM, but the player is welcome to make suggestions.)

A ranger’s effective druid level for determining his animal companion’s abilities is equal to his ranger level -4.

A druid does not gain an animal companion.

The question is, what do I do with racial hit dice? At some point i'll need giants with class levels... Maybe I could simply replace hit dice with class levels, up to a maximum of 10 class levels, and let them keep the rest as a bonus?

Anywho, would the players have a chance of beating the modules? Are the feats and class changes balanced?

Abemad
2011-06-06, 05:01 PM
Part 1, the village of Emberton

Guess I'd better post something more interresting if I want anyone to reply :smallwink:

I've been making some small changes, mainly moving the story to the Yeomanry (I was inspired to do this by a campaign journal, the idea seems great).
Because of this, the starting village is now named Emberton (instead of Hommlet).
Another change i've adopted, is a small quest in the village, involving a long forgotten buried temple. This has been added so that the players have a chance of gaining their first levelup before they reach the moathouse.

I will probably be running this module some time on the forums.

Part 1: The Village of Emberton

*New area: 34. Castle mound
Spread rumors in the village about strange noises from the castle construction site, giant rat sightings, and ghost stories from the watchtower basement.

1. Prosperous farm cottage and large barn.
Farm dogs (2): see dog.
Farmer: human commoner 1, feats: weapon proficiency: guisarme, medium armor proficiency, equipment: guisarme & scalemail.
Sons (2) human commoner 1, feats: shield proficiency, light armor proficiency, equipment: leather armor, heavy wooden shield, club.

2. Modest farm house and barn
Farmer: human warrior 2, feats: weapon focus: longsword, toughness, equipment: longsword, light crossbow, 20 crossbow bolts, scalemail, heavy wooden shield.
Servant: human commoner 1, feats: shield proficiency, animal affinity, equipment: light shield, club.
Elmo: human ranger 2, feats: improved shield bash, weapon focus: battleaxe, equipment: chainshirt, heavy wooden shield, masterwork battleaxe, longbow, 20 arrows, 20 alchemical silver arrows, 404 gp.

3. Cottage
Woodcutter: human commoner 1, feats: weapon proficiency greataxe, light armor proficiency, equipment: greataxe, leather armor, heavy crossbow, 20 crossbow bolts.

4. Well-kept farm
Sons (2): human commoner 1, feats: skill focus: profession (farmer) & animal affinity

5. Prosperous farmhouse
Farmer: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, weapon proficiency longsword, equipment: leather armor, longsword.
Manservant: human commoner 1, feats: weapon proficiency glaive, animal affinity, equipment: glaive

6. House with leather hide tacked to the door
Leatherworker: human expert 1, feats: skill focus: profession (leatherworker), shield proficiency, equipment: leather armor, light wooden shield, sling, 20 bullets, dagger.
Eldest son: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, skill focus: profession (leatherworker), equipment: leather armor, sling, 20 bullets, dagger.

7. Large building with sign
Ostler the innkeeper: human warrior 1, feats: alertness, negotiator, equipment: longsword, scalemail, light wooden shield.
Stablemen (2): human commoner 1, feats: animal affinity, skill focus: handle animal.
Zert: human warrior 1, feats: toughness, weapon focus: longsword, equipment: scalemail, heavy wooden shield, longsword.
Spugnoir: human enchanter 1 (banned necromancy & evocation), feats: spell focus: enchantment, greater spell focus: enchantment, equipment: dagger, spellbook, spells: 3, 1, spells known: read magic, sleep
Furnok: human rogue 2, feats: skill focus: sleight of hand, two weapon fighting, equipment: dagger, masterwork shortsword, scroll of invisibility (2).
Kobort: half-orc fighter 1, feats: power attack, cleave, equipment, chainmail, greataxe.
Turuko: human monk 1, feats: power attack, flying kick, equipment, quarterstaff

8. Open shed and house behind
Smith: human expert 1 / adept 1, feats: skill focus: profession (blacksmith), skill focus: craft (weaponsmithing), equipment: leather armor, quarterstaff.

9. New building
n/a

10. Well-kept dwelling with a sign
Son-in-law: human expert 1, feats: shield proficiency, skill focus: profession (weaver), equipment, padded armor, light wooden shield & shortspear.
Apprentices (4): human commoner 1, feats: skill focus: profession (weaver), skill focus: craft.

11. Cottage
Tailor: halfling expert 1, feats: point blank shot, equipment: dagger (2), light crossbow, 20 crossbow bolts.

12. Average farm building
Farmer & son: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, shield proficiency, equipment: leather armor, light wooden shield, heavy mace / morningstar.

13. Wooden building with shuttered windows (trading post)
Rannos Davl: human rogue 4, feats: deceitful, improved initiative, weapon finesse, equipment: leather armor +1, shortsword +1, ring of protection +1.
Gremag: human rogue 2 / warrior 1, feats: stealthy, improved initiative, weapon finesse, equipment: chainshirt +1, dagger +1, medium spider venom (3 doses).
Groom: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, animal affinity, equipment: spear, leather armor.
Man-at-arms: human warrior 1, toughness (2), equipment: leather armor, longsword, longbow, 20 arrows.

14. Weather-beaten building and farm
Carter: human commoner 1, feats: medium armor proficiency, animal affinity, equipment: scalemail, longspear.
Son: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, animal affinity, equipment: studded leather armor, spear.
Driver (2): human commoner 1, feats: armor proficiency, animal affinity, equipment: studded leather armor, light crossbow, 20 crossbow bolts.

15. Sturdy new building with a sign
Guard: human warrior 2, feats: toughness, weapon focus: longsword, equipment: scalemail, longsword, heavy wooden shield, light crossbow, 20 crossbow bolts.
War dog (2): see riding dog.
Melubb the moneychanger: human expert 2, feats: skill focus: appraise, diligent, equipment: dagger +1, ring of protection +1.

16. Small house with a sign
Cabinet maker: human expert 1, feats: skill focus: profession (cabinet maker), medium armor proficiency, equipment: scalemail, spear.
Apprentice: human commoner 1, feats: skill focus: profession (cabinet maker), light armor proficiency, equipment: leather armor, spear.

17. Modest cottage
Potter: human expert 1, feats: martial weapon proficiency glaive, skill focus: profession (potter), equipment: padded armor, glaive.
Sons (2): human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, skill focus: profession (potter), equipment: padded armor, spear/light crossbow, 20 crossbow bolts.

18. Typical cottage and imposing stone building with a barrel hanging from chains
Braumeister: human expert 1, feats: medium armor proficiency, skill focus: profession (brewer), equipment: scalemail, spear.
Nephew: human expert 1, feats: medium armor proficiency, shield proficiency, equipment: scalemail, club, light wooden shield.
Apprentices (3): human commoner 1, feats: skill focus: profession (brewer), endurance, equipment: club (3)
Dog: see dog

19. Modest cottage
Dogs (3): see dog
Herdsman: human warrior 1, feats: self sufficient, animal affinity, equipment: chainmail, heavy wooden shield, longsword, longbow, 20 arrows, 10 arrows +1, elven cloak, elven boots.

20. Church of St. Cuthbert
Calmer: human cleric 1, feats: negotiator, toughness, equipment: chainmail, heavy steel shield, heavy mace, spells: 3, 1+1.
Terjon: human cleric 3, feats: brew potion, divine spell power, scribe scroll, equipment: light steel shield +1, heavy mace +1, chainmail, 4 potions of holy water, spells: 4, 2+1, 1+1.

21. Cottage and large barn
Farmer: human commoner 1, feats: animal affinity, light armor proficiency, equipment: leather armor, spear.
Eldest son: human commoner 1, feats: skill focus: handle animal, light armor proficiency, equipment: leather armor, morningstar
Younger sons (2): human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, shield proficiency, equipment: leather armor, light wooden shield, club, sling, 20 bullets.

22. Mill and attached home
Miller: human commoner 1, feats: skill focus: profession (miller), light armor proficiency, equipment: leather armor, spear.
Servant: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, martial weapon proficiency shortbow, equipment: leather armor, shortbow, 20 arrows, spear.
Dog: see dog

23. Cottage and small barn
Farmer: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, skill focus: profession (farmer), equipment: padded armor, longspear
Daughter: human warrior 1, feats: power attack, cleave, equipment: glaive, hide armor
Son: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, skill focus: profession (farmer), equipment, quarterstaff.

24. The grove
Jaroo ashstaff: human druid 4, feats: spell focus: conjuration, augment summoning, craft wondrous item, equipment: padded armor, ring of protection +1, scimitar +1, quarterstaff, spells: 5, 3, 2.
Black bear: animal companion, 1 bonus trick, link, share spells.

25. Large barn and connected home
Herdsman: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, skill focus: handle animal, equipment: padded armor, spear.
Son: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, weapon proficiency shortbow, equipment: padded armor, spear, shortbow, 20 arrows.
Cousin: human commoner 1, feats: shield proficiency, skill focus: handle animal, equipment: light wooden shield, shortspear.

26. Barn-like house with a wheel nailed to a post
Wainwright: human expert 1, feats: shield proficiency, skill focus: profession (wainwright), equipment: leather armor, light wooden shield, shortspear.
Nephews (2): human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, skill focus: craft, equipment: padded armor, spear.

27. Walled manor house
Sons (4): human commoner 1, feats: medium armor proficiency, shield proficiency, equipment: scalemail, heavy wooden shield, shortspear.
Hired hand: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, weapon proficiency handaxe, equipment: padded armor, heavy crossbow, 20 crossbow bolts, handaxe.

28. Large new building
Carpenter: human expert 1, feats: shield proficiency, weapon proficiency battleaxe, equipment: studded leather armor, light wooden shield, battleaxe.
Brother: human commoner 1, feats: light armor proficiency, weapon proficiency handaxe, equipment: padded armor, longspear, handaxe.

29. Stone house
Stonemason: human expert 1, feats: shield proficiency, weapon proficiency heavy pick, equipment: chainshirt, heavy wooden shield, heavy pick.
Apprentices (3): human commoner 1, feats: skill focus: profession (stonemason), light armor proficiency, equipment: padded armor, club

30. Double fieldstone walls filled with earth
n/a

31. Two-storied tower
Burne: human wizard 4, feats: spell focus: conjuration, greater spell focus: conjuration, craft wondrous item, equipment: wand of magic missile (1) (49 charges), ring of protection +1, dagger +1, spellbook, spells: 4, 3, 2, known spells: mage armor, sleep, grease, magic missile, feather fall, glitterdust, melf’s acid arrow, web, scare.
Rufus: human fighter 3, feats: shield specialization, improved shield bash, agile shield fighter, shield ward, shield charge, equipment: shield +1, chainmail +1, masterwork battleaxe.
Guard (5): human warrior 1, feats: weapon focus: longsword, alertness, equipment: scalemail, heavy wooden shield, longsword.
Captain: human fighter 2, feats: weapon focus: longsword, endurance, steadfast determination, equipment: breastplate, masterwork longsword, heavy steel shield.
Lieutenant: human fighter 1, feats: power attack, cleave, improved buckler defense, equipment: ranseur, scalemail, buckler.

32. Tents and wattle huts
Agent: human warrior 1, feats: stealthy, investigator, equipment: dagger, club.

33. Overgrown track
n/a

34. Castle mound
In what is to be the castle courtyard, stands a single ancient-looking weathered stone. For some reason it hasn’t been moved by the workers. When asked about it, the workers say that they have been ordered not to move it. They also mention an older man in robes who has been overseeing the construction with a particular interest in the stone.
The old man is the village druid, Jaroo ashstaff. When inquired about the stone, he will tell that it is a site of importance to the old faith, although its function has long been forgotten. When pressed, he will say that he suspect that there are some chambers buried beneath the mound.
Note to the DM, the mound is covering an old shrine to Tharizdun, which was buried by druids long ago. They did not have the power to destroy the shrine, but they could suppress its power. Lately, their work has been failing.
There are several ways into the mound chamber:
The small spring in the secret cave in the basement of the guard tower leads through the chamber, on its way to the river (DC 10 swim check each round, three quarters swim speed as a full-round action or one quarter swim speed as a move action, 250’).
If the players search the small forest north of the castle mound they can find a small tunnel (survival check DC 16) used by the dire rats, big enough for a small character to squeeze through.
If the players start digging around the old stone, they will find a large circular stone just east of the standing stone. Although it is clearly unworked (knowledge: architecture and engineering check DC 10), it is obviously used as a cover stone. When moved (DC 16 strength check) it reveals a deep dark hole, about 40’ deep.
Map to follow, the two first routes leads to a small cave where a dire rat has made a nest. A secret door connects the room with the main chamber.
The last route leads to a small tunnel, leading up to a stone door. Behind the door lies the main chamber.
The tunnel is “inhabited” by a small number of monstrous centipedes, and an allip “lives” in the main chamber.
The players can find some minor gemstones in the main chamber, and some clues as to what the chamber is (cult of tharizdun).

I know that most of the feat choices seem weird, but I didn't have the patience to look through all my books everytime I had a new npc, so I've mostly just used the online SRD. They can off course be changed, if anyone has a suggestion?

I've tried to stick by the WBL table, removing alot of magic equipment...

Part 2 - the moathouse will be up soon.

Almagesto
2011-06-22, 02:00 PM
The question is, what do I do with racial hit dice? At some point i'll need giants with class levels... Maybe I could simply replace hit dice with class levels, up to a maximum of 10 class levels, and let them keep the rest as a bonus?

I suggest you look at the section called Advancing Monsters in the Monster Manual.

MostlyHarmless
2011-06-29, 12:01 PM
Wow, how time appropriate. I recently pulled out my old T1 Hommlett module thinking I would introduce my oldest son to D&D. Looking through it and reading back on 1e rules I kept thinking, man I wish I could convert this to 3.x.

I know, it's probably not hard, I just wanted something ready to go, easy to pick up and just run through without looking up and converting all the monsters, many of which might never be encountered.

So, I googled and found your thread, yay, GITP rocks!

Now, I'm waffling whether to change his character over to 3e now, or give him a taste of 1e rules, then switch. One one hand, I don't want to overcomplicate things for him with feats and skills, but maybe I'm overthinking it. He's 11 and his 8 year old brother will also probably roll up a character.

deuxhero
2011-06-29, 05:49 PM
A level 10 caped 3.5 version of ToEE?

Uh... (http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/589356-the-temple-of-elemental-evil/data)

MostlyHarmless
2011-07-05, 02:53 PM
Why the link to the old PC game? I don't think that's what he's after.

Abemad
2011-07-06, 04:15 AM
Well, I have some conversions to 3rd edition from enboard lying around on my laptop to use as guide lines. The hard part is converting the "world" to a more "realistic" E10 world (commoners are level 1-2 and so on), taking inspiration from this article (http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/d&d-calibrating.html).

Deuxhero, it isn't just temple of elemental evil i'm converting, but the entire queen of spiders supermodule (T1-4, G1-3, D1-3 and maybe Q1)...

The moathouse is mostly done, I've just been a little busy lately :smallsigh:

Abemad
2011-07-06, 04:47 AM
Wow, how time appropriate. I recently pulled out my old T1 Hommlett module thinking I would introduce my oldest son to D&D. Looking through it and reading back on 1e rules I kept thinking, man I wish I could convert this to 3.x.

I know, it's probably not hard, I just wanted something ready to go, easy to pick up and just run through without looking up and converting all the monsters, many of which might never be encountered.

So, I googled and found your thread, yay, GITP rocks!

Now, I'm waffling whether to change his character over to 3e now, or give him a taste of 1e rules, then switch. One one hand, I don't want to overcomplicate things for him with feats and skills, but maybe I'm overthinking it. He's 11 and his 8 year old brother will also probably roll up a character.

I'd say go with 3rd edition from the start, but restrict it to core/srd (or core + completes. It isnt' that hard to pick up, especially not if he already speaks english.