PDA

View Full Version : polymorph and warforged (help)

Traveler
2011-06-04, 10:36 AM
Short history spoiled for length.
In the one game I am in I play a warforged. Well, up until the last half an hour of the session I did. He (and much of the party) was hit with a baleful polymorph and now most of us are human. So my character is learning how to breath and all of that and he doesn't like it :smallfrown: .

Basically I am asking, once a warforged is polymorphed into a different creature, can a simple polymorph change him back or do I need to find another way?

Urpriest
2011-06-04, 10:37 AM
Baleful polymorph can't turn you human. Are you sure that was the spell used?

Traveler
2011-06-04, 10:44 AM
A spellcraft check said it looked like a balefull polymorph. That said, the being that used it shrugged off two wish spells from a ring I found awhile back. So I don't know if normal rules apply (or I would just turn back in a day).

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-04, 10:51 AM
A spellcraft check said it looked like a balefull polymorph. That said, the being that used it shrugged off two wish spells from a ring I found awhile back. So I don't know if normal rules apply (or I would just turn back in a day).

Sounds more like Polymorph Any Object to me, and if said being can resist being wished then it would be child's play to change the appearance of their spells.

Traveler
2011-06-04, 11:02 AM
Maybe. Unless the source of the spell truly matters, I'm more concerned about changing back and whether I need a polymorph or something more powerful.

DeltaEmil
2011-06-04, 11:11 AM
Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic and Break Enchantment could end the spell effect, but whoever casts it would need to beat the caster level check that the creator of the wish ring had. If you have the Iron Heart Maneuver from the Tome of Battle, you can also end this effect.

dragonsamurai77
2011-06-04, 12:50 PM
Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic and Break Enchantment could end the spell effect, but whoever casts it would need to beat the caster level check that the creator of the wish ring had. If you have the Iron Heart Maneuver from the Tome of Battle, you can also end this effect.

Assuming you're at least level 6, which is a fairly good assumption under the circumstances, anyone with the Heroism (or maybe Heroics, not sure which) spell could grant you Martial Study (Iron Heart Surge) very easily.

Kyouhen
2011-06-04, 04:00 PM
Assuming you're at least level 6, which is a fairly good assumption under the circumstances, anyone with the Heroism (or maybe Heroics, not sure which) spell could grant you Martial Study (Iron Heart Surge) very easily.

Where can one find this spell? It intrigues me. :smallconfused:

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-04, 05:05 PM
Where can one find this spell? It intrigues me. :smallconfused:

Iron Heart Surge is not a spell.

It. Is. SPARTA.

Cog
2011-06-04, 05:27 PM
Heroics is in Spell Compendium.

Greenish
2011-06-04, 05:30 PM
Assuming you're at least level 6, which is a fairly good assumption under the circumstances, anyone with the Heroism (or maybe Heroics, not sure which) spell could grant you Martial Study (Iron Heart Surge) very easily.Does Heroics allow you to pick feats you don't qualify for?

Kyouhen
2011-06-04, 05:32 PM
Heroics is in Spell Compendium.

Great, thanks. Now to figure out the best ways to abuse that with my artificer. :smalltongue:

Seerow
2011-06-04, 05:37 PM
Does Heroics allow you to pick feats you don't qualify for?

Pretty sure you need to qualify for them as normal.

Eldariel
2011-06-04, 05:38 PM

Iron Heart Surge requires an Iron Heart maneuver tho so you can't access it that easily (not to mention, IL 5 which means character level 10). Heroic for Martial Study: Prerequisite Maneuver and THEN equipping Crown of Iron Heart with Iron Heart Surge would work, though.

Greater Dispel Magic could be worth trying, assuming you can achieve big enough base caster level and get repeated uses to try and go for a high roll. All else failing, Mordenkainen's Disjunction scroll would solve this (don't forget to unequip all your magic items and moving them away from you before using it though) pretty damn reliably.

You'd also return to your original guise in an Anti-Magic Field or a Dead Magic Zone but that would only suppress, not dispel the magic so it would not be a permanent reversal.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-06-04, 05:41 PM

No, but you can use it to grab martial study (pre-req) and martial stance (iron heart stance) and then, assuming that you don't need a third Iron Heart maneuver to grab Iron Heart Surge and have a high enough IL to get it, you simply do so. If you do need a third, then you'd have to use an item, otherwise, no dice.

Cog
2011-06-04, 05:43 PM
You must meet all prerequisites. Two hits of the spell would fall prey to the stacking rules, I think, but you would qualify for IHS at the moment you take the second spell.

Does the maneuver you get from Martial Study require ongoing qualification?

Divide by Zero
2011-06-04, 05:46 PM
No, but you can use it to grab martial study (pre-req) and martial stance (iron heart stance) and then, assuming that you don't need a third Iron Heart maneuver to grab Iron Heart Surge and have a high enough IL to get it, you simply do so. If you do need a third, then you'd have to use an item, otherwise, no dice.

It only needs one maneuver. And I don't think stances count anyway.

Cog
2011-06-04, 05:48 PM
It only needs one maneuver. And I don't think stances count anyway.
Stances are a kind of maneuver, and do count for prereqs.

Traveler
2011-06-04, 10:16 PM
In no way can my character qualify for Iron Heart Surge that I know of or was discussed. So I'll ask again, can I just polymorph back into a warforged or do I need to find something stronger/different?
Breaking the Dispell Magic and it's stronger (probably) varients won't work either. The being ignored wishes, not casting them (and if it did I doubt we could overcome it anyway). That said, I'll try these methods anyway just in case.
My character has no levels in any tome of battle classes so surge is out. I made him before I knew about that book.
The party is 10th level as far as what we can get our hands on though we have a ungodly amount of gold.
Thank you for your help so far and I know I'm not giving much information that could help, but I've shared everything I know.

Big Fau
2011-06-04, 10:43 PM
In no way can my character qualify for Iron Heart Surge that I know of or was discussed. So I'll ask again, can I just polymorph back into a warforged or do I need to find something stronger/different?
Breaking the Dispell Magic and it's stronger (probably) varients won't work either. The being ignored wishes, not casting them (and if it did I doubt we could overcome it anyway). That said, I'll try these methods anyway just in case.
My character has no levels in any tome of battle classes so surge is out. I made him before I knew about that book.
The party is 10th level as far as what we can get our hands on though we have a ungodly amount of gold.
Thank you for your help so far and I know I'm not giving much information that could help, but I've shared everything I know.

An Apprentice Iron Heart item can provide Iron Heart Surge without you needing to meet the requirements.

And it does sound like a double PAO, or your DM decided he didn't want you before Warforged anymore (especially considering he "shrugged off" two Wish spells).

Eldariel
2011-06-05, 06:50 AM

Polymorph Any Object would work. Anything less would not.

Disjunction will work. It does not care about caster level, power or anything else. It just shortcircuits all magic and breaks it up, period (unless it's the effect of a magic item he snuck on you in which case you could just voluntarily fail that Will-save). It's pretty much the Nuclear Weapon of magical warfare; doesn't matter what we're talking, it will Disjoin the magic.