PDA

View Full Version : Improved Swift Hunter

Jackalope
2011-06-04, 07:17 PM
One of my up-and-coming characters is a Ranger/Scout who already has Swift Tracker. The bonuses are nice, but some of the class features that should stack aren't included in any texts I've found. In lieu of that I've created a new feat Called Improved Swift Hunter that continues on the line. I'm posting it here to get some comments and critiques on it, and to perhaps spread the idea around.

Improved Swift Hunter
Prerequisites: Swift Hunter, 3rd Favored Enemy, Skirmish 3d6/3AC, minimum five levels each of Ranger and Scout.

In addition to the effects of Swift Hunter, your Ranger and Scout levels also stack for the purposes of determining your Fast Movement, Flawless/Woodland Stride, Camouflage, Hide in Plain Sight, Battle Fortitude, and Swift Tracker class features.
Special: A Scout can select Improved Swift Hunter as one of her bonus Scout feats (Complete Adventurer 13)

Just as the name implies, this allows the character to improve his Swift Hunter characteristics by being faster and stealthier. What do you all think?

Greenish
2011-06-04, 07:24 PM
One of my up-and-coming characters is a Ranger/Scout who already has Swift Tracker. The bonuses are nice, but some of the class features that should stack aren't included in any texts I've found. I don't think the designers intended the feat to allow a full on gestalt. It should be noted that Battle Fortitude is only a class feature because 3.5 doesn't have "medium" progression track for saves, and tacking it on good fort class doesn't seem necessary.

Jackalope
2011-06-04, 07:39 PM
Hm, you're definitely right on the Battle Fortitude bit. However, these feats don't allow a full-on gestalt. The levels don't stack for a Ranger's spells, animal companion, or combat style. On the Scout side they don't stack for bonus feats, Free Movement, Blindsense, or Blindsight features. With your contribution I can see that Battle Fortitude would be an issue since even with five levels in both classes the character would have a higher Fort save than usual. Perhaps specifying the Camouflage and Hide in Plain Sight features are gained as a Ranger instead of a Scout would balance it better. Come to think of it, the Flawless/Woodland Stride bit is also kinda useless since each class gets one at level 6 or 7.

Edit: After a quick glance at each class, the Battle Fortitude feature would put the Improved Swift Hunter at exactly 12 "Base" Fort at level 20 if he were to do Ranger 15/Scout 5, due to the technically poor save progression on the 5 levels of Scout. As that aspect is progression-based and the boon is pretty modest, it seems quite fitting actually.

Greenish
2011-06-04, 08:08 PM
Hm, you're definitely right on the Battle Fortitude bit. However, these feats don't allow a full-on gestalt. The levels don't stack for a Ranger's spells, animal companion, or combat style. On the Scout side they don't stack for bonus feats, Free Movement, Blindsense, or Blindsight features.Eh, those on scout side are so high level they hardly matter, and the ranger stuff is just delayed four levels. AC wasn't that useful in combat to begin with, so no great loss, though the loss of spells is annoying.

Edit: After a quick glance at each class, the Battle Fortitude feature would put the Improved Swift Hunter at exactly 12 "Base" Fort at level 20 if he were to do Ranger 15/Scout 5, due to the technically poor save progression on the 5 levels of Scout. As that aspect is progression-based and the boon is pretty modest, it seems quite fitting actually.If you feel that dipping into a low fort class shouldn't matter, no problems.

Besides, it's not like swift hunters are (or would be with said homebrew) overpowered, so do go ahead.

Jackalope
2011-06-04, 10:38 PM
Eh, those on scout side are so high level they hardly matter, and the ranger stuff is just delayed four levels. AC wasn't that useful in combat to begin with, so no great loss, though the loss of spells is annoying.
If you feel that dipping into a low fort class shouldn't matter, no problems.

Besides, it's not like swift hunters are (or would be with said homebrew) overpowered, so do go ahead.

This seems a bit sarcastic to me actually, but my track record with tone of internet voice is admittedly pathetic so I'm not sure whether to think you're being serious.

The high-level Scout options can be quite potent, especially Free Movement. Many a rogue would kill to have that effect be full-time. The loss of Scout Bonus Feats can be a bummer, but it all comes down to the build.

I posted this here to get critiques on whether the feat is balanced. While I don't really expect it, a good argument on why something should be changed would be very much appreciated.

My argument for the feat is simply that each of the features I listed are things that both classes either already have in common or are so complementary that having a high-level character without the levels stacking for those features is like saying Sorcerer and Wizard levels don't stack for a familiar.