PDA

View Full Version : Play online, not PbP?

zyborg
2011-06-04, 07:17 PM
Is there any way I could play D&D online, more live than PbP? And I don't mean "D&D Online"...

OracleofWuffing
2011-06-04, 07:19 PM
Well, there's myriads of instant messenger programs, so anything you do via typing in PbP can be done live through those.

Taking it a step further, you could use something like MapTools or OpenRPG, which provide a virtual tabletop for you all, you get something like this (http://youtu.be/wbujFRHoGmM) going for that setup, if you use Skype or similar to do voice chat.

druid91
2011-06-04, 07:21 PM
I believe some use IRC.

zyborg
2011-06-04, 07:23 PM
MapTools, OpenRPG, Skype, and some IRC? Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Now, does GITP have an IRC?

Dr.Epic
2011-06-04, 08:22 PM
Well, there's myriads of instant messenger programs, so anything you do via typing in PbP can be done live through those.

Taking it a step further, you could use something like MapTools or OpenRPG, which provide a virtual tabletop for you all, you get something like this (http://youtu.be/wbujFRHoGmM) going for that setup, if you use Skype or similar to do voice chat.

Yep. Just go over to the recruitment thread and I'm sure you can find something if you ask.

Archwizard
2011-06-04, 08:29 PM
In theory, WotC is coming out with their Virtual Tabletop soon, which I guess is in Beta now, and might support older editions as well.

Ozreth
2011-06-04, 08:44 PM
Fantasy Grounds is the absolute best if you are willing to pay a bit. MapTools is second best.

Prime32
2011-06-04, 08:50 PM
In theory, WotC is coming out with their Virtual Tabletop soon, which I guess is in Beta now, and might support older editions as well.In theory that was coming out when 4e was launched. And it almost certainly won't support older editions - Wizards don't even call 4e by edition number, they just call it D&D. In any case the DM and all players would have to pay subscription fees and would likely only be able to use one character each made in the official 4e Character Builder.

Break
2011-06-04, 08:55 PM
Fantasy Grounds is the absolute best if you are willing to pay a bit. MapTools is second best.

Fantasy Grounds is certainly not bad - I've used it quite a bit - but I've warmed up to MapTool, mostly because it's more immediately extensible than FG is. This is mostly due to the macro system that MT employs, lending it quite a bit of on-the-fly customization. MT being free also helps. :smallsmile:

FG is more reliable if you're mostly playing d20-based systems, and it has a cleaner, more intuitive interface, so it's easier to teach other people how to use it. I'd personally give the edge to MT, but you won't go wrong with either.

Now, does GITP have an IRC?

Yep. We're on irc.gamesurge.net at #giantitp.

zyborg
2011-06-04, 09:02 PM
Thanks, everyone. I found the IRC.

Archwizard
2011-06-04, 10:15 PM
In theory that was coming out when 4e was launched. And it almost certainly won't support older editions - Wizards don't even call 4e by edition number, they just call it D&D. In any case the DM and all players would have to pay subscription fees and would likely only be able to use one character each made in the official 4e Character Builder.

Q: What versions of D&D is the VT designed to be used with?
A: The character and monster information storage portion of the VT is set up to be used in 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons. The rest of the tools can be used with any edition.

http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2128/~/dungeons-%26-dragons-virtual-table-beta-faq

dsmiles
2011-06-04, 11:19 PM
Vassal (http://www.vassalengine.org/) may have a DnD module, but I haven't looked for one.

mathemagician
2011-06-04, 11:47 PM
I'll throw another vote in for Maptool, it's got a lot of things going for it.
1) The community forums are extremely active, and extremely friendly toward new users.
2) Maptool itself is system agnostic, but as mentioned before, extremely programmable; a lot of help can be found on the forums for this too.

If you're not into programming your own macros, you can use one of the community's "frameworks." These are collections of macros that provide varying levels of automation for the system they are developed for. The two most popular systems on the board are D&D 4e and Pathfinder, so your D&D needs should be covered.

These frameworks can be pretty impressively automatic. My players don't need character sheets when they play, all the HP and AC and stuff is there on their token. When a wizard uses a spell, it is blackened out of his list, etc.
You don't need any of this though, I used to have it automatically calculating hits and misses and applying damage and all that, but I've rolled back to a more casual system closer to tabletop play because I like the interaction and pacing better.

lady_arrogance
2011-06-05, 07:44 AM
We are using combination of MapTool and Skype. It works when we have players in three different towns. :smallsmile:

Eldan
2011-06-05, 10:26 AM
I have a weekly chat-game by Skype. Course, I don't ever really use maps or minis, you might want to use maptools or vassal for that.

j4bberw0ck
2011-06-06, 03:39 PM
I played in a game that used fantasy grounds and maptool. If you have the patience to figure out the programs they providing a rewarding experience. alternatively (and not the most recommended of ideas) If you can figure out how to get a hold of it and set up a game Neverwinter Nights 2 has a dungeon master mode that allows you to build a game and let people play in it while you control the monsters and NPC's.

zyborg
2011-06-06, 03:48 PM
Well, I think Maptools might work for me, but not on Mon or Wed. The college's internets are horrible.

Gnoman
2011-06-06, 04:03 PM
If you just want to try it out, you could try this game
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66117.new#new.

The DM designed and planned for people to drop in and out, so if you decide it's not your thing, it's not a problem.

OracleofWuffing
2011-06-06, 04:36 PM
Well, I think Maptools might work for me, but not on Mon or Wed. The college's internets are horrible.
Just as a heads up, your mileage may vary, but typically College networks are not sat up to be friendly towards hosting Maptools (this goes for OpenRPG too, I believe). You will be able to join a Maptools game that someone else created (and the creator can give you Dungeon Master credentials and all as if you were the host), but chances are, out of the box, you won't be able to create a game and have people from the internet connect to you directly.

zyborg
2011-06-08, 02:55 PM
Anyone know where to get Neverwinter Nights 2 really cheap?

Gorilla2038
2011-06-08, 03:41 PM
I found it for 10 bucks on ebay.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-08, 03:45 PM
I've played NWN1 and I've heard NWN2 community is similar. There are good people who play games, but lots and lots and lots of drama and very bad players. Not that they can't make a optimized character, but will metagame, whine, PvP at the drop of a hat, not follow server rules, expect and receive favoritism.

I do wish you luck finding a good server, but do be aware that most servers are kinda bad.

Using it to play with your friends is different and certainly would be interesting.

TheThan
2011-06-08, 04:31 PM
Skype video conferencing is wonderful for dnd. I use it when I can’t physically make it to a game. A dedicated lap top is needed at the gaming table to do it.

It's also pretty easy to do it with multiple computers, everyone in the game needs a webcam though, (alot of lap tops have them built in so it shouldn't be too big a deal).

ImaginaryGirl
2011-06-08, 06:17 PM
We've been using Mumble for Shadowrun, and I suspect it would work for DnD as well. If you need maps, there's always RPGTools. Both are free, a'course.

Burnheart
2011-06-09, 08:41 AM
This is interesting and something i'd like to find out about but first what does IRC mean?

Archwizard
2011-06-09, 09:37 AM
This is interesting and something i'd like to find out about but first what does IRC mean?

It means you're young.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

Aron Times
2011-06-09, 01:14 PM
The Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles server is the most popular one in NWN2, and for good reason:

1. The DMs don't take themselves too seriously, generally being more laid-back than "hardcore roleplaying" servers.

2. Very few and quite reasonable restrictions on character advancement. First, if you're multiclassing, you have to have at least three levels in each class by level 20, and second, you can't combine monk and druid because of a hardcoded flaw in the NWN2 engine.

3. Light XP penalty for dying, unlike "hardcore" servers where you can lose up to a third of your total XP for respawning.

4. A ton of custom content, including new spells, prestige classes, and the like.

5. Low-magic done right. You're unlikely to find higher than +3 equipment, but on the bright side, monsters are made weaker to compensate.

Most other roleplaying servers suck because of DM favoritism and Serious Business drama ruining all the fun.

Fera Tian
2011-06-09, 02:02 PM
Anyone know where to get Neverwinter Nights 2 really cheap?

Steam has it for $20, maybe $10. All expansions without the need for a box.

I've played NWN1 and I've heard NWN2 community is similar. There are good people who play games, but lots and lots and lots of drama and very bad players. Not that they can't make a optimized character, but will metagame, whine, PvP at the drop of a hat, not follow server rules, expect and receive favoritism.

I do wish you luck finding a good server, but do be aware that most servers are kinda bad.

Using it to play with your friends is different and certainly would be interesting.

i played both nwn and nwn2 (multiplayer), much more of nwn but i enjoyed NWN2 more

NWN2 stuff:
-problem with NWN2 is the enormous modules and the large amount of grind it takes to get to level 5+ (even harder if you dont bring friends or cant make them quickly)
-there are a lot of classes and prestige classes which people can exploit and make crazy things, which can be good or bad depending on how it is rp'ed
-didnt have problems with whining, not much with metagaming (apart from some party chat)
-depending on the race/alignment pvp will be short tempered or non-existent (dont think i got into any pvp that didnt involve drow)
-too many elves and people that think Charisma = looks and not sociability
-not a lot of favoritism or drama (outside of drow) compared to NWN either
-more sexual stuff/furries in nwn2 (social servers)
those things being said, i stayed to the more populous servers like Dalelands and Baldur's Gate