PDA

View Full Version : How would you do it?

willy101
2011-06-04, 07:34 PM
It's an excellently simple question. You are a epic level Barbarian 21-26th level.

one day when you are sleeping in the village you just razed in a raid, an annoying tenth level wizard/sorc comes along, he is up in the air, flying and invissible, spamming fireballs and other evocations in your face.

How would you destroy him?

He's roughly 50 feet in the air under the influence of greater invisibility, each round he swings a new evocation your way, he has 60 hp and 18 AC

molten_dragon
2011-06-04, 07:42 PM
Activate an item that lets me see invisible.

Activate an item that lets me fly and/or teleport.

Get into melee with him and kill him with one hit.

Greenish
2011-06-04, 07:55 PM
Kill him with a thrown weapon. You're epic, you already have an item that lets you see invisibility (and another for flight, of course, but rushing after the shrimp would be horribly undignified).

Alternatively, pour some of your epic WBL into a pile, stand on top of said pile and smack him.

[Edit]: Assuming you've forgotten those handy see invisibility and flight devices, just pinpoint him with your epic listen check, then shoot him full of arrows. Your tricked out bow should ignore such minor things as total concealment, but even if it doesn't, he should be down after a round or two.

Hirax
2011-06-04, 07:58 PM
A barbarian type character? Or a character that actually took that many barbarian levels? WBL assumed? The MIC lists WBL for epic characters, so the power disparity between a 21st and 26th level straight barbarian will be huge because of the WBL difference. 975k at 21st level, and 2.5 million at 26th, so you've got your choice of magic items with which to eviscerate the puny mid level character. Globe of invulnerablity from a magic item limits him to 5th level spells affecting you, which he'll run out of quickly. As for killing him, magic item of anythingrequiringfortsave.

edit: alternatively, a less Thog-like barbarian might have taken leadership, might makes right, epic leadership, and legendary commander. In which case at 26th level they would easily have 10 9th level followers, or 20 9th level followers and 10 10th level followers if they're really making an effort to optimize their score. And an epic level cohort. Whatever the case, this barbarian, should he be annoyed in his sleep by a mid level annoyance, would probably just rollover in his sleep without noticing the threat, because his army that would just kill it before he was even bothered by such a meager presence.

Laendri
2011-06-04, 08:06 PM
--You should have magic items at those levels. Use them to kill him as molten_dragon sais.

-Get some mud/flour/sand/paint and stay ready, next time he cast a spell u see the origin of it and throw the item. Once he is visible attack him with ranged weapons.

-You are an epic barbarian, throw him a tree.

-AC18 is crap for you, even with the 50% you should be able to just shot him to death with a normal bow.

-How is it possible that an epic barbarian need help to kill a lvl10 wizard? You should be able to do it nude, drunk and with your head. (In fact you must)

EDIT: If the question is not how CAN u kill the wizard but how WOULD YOU kill the wizard. I will trow him absurdly big items, like boats, horses or carts. While I laugh at him and ask townfolks for breakfast.

Jack_Simth
2011-06-04, 08:11 PM
It's an excellently simple question. You are a epic level Barbarian 21-26th level.

one day when you are sleeping in the village you just razed in a raid, an annoying tenth level wizard/sorc comes along, he is up in the air, flying and invissible, spamming fireballs and other evocations in your face.

How would you destroy him?

He's roughly 50 feet in the air under the influence of greater invisibility, each round he swings a new evocation your way, he has 60 hp and 18 AC
First, you locate the stupid caster. There's a few ways. Listen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/listen.htm) is a really useful skill, and is in class for the Barbarian. The Sorc/Wiz is merely Invisible (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility), the Barbarian can tell what square the Wiz/Sorc is in with a Listen check sufficient to beat the Wiz/Sorc's Move Silently check by 20. As the Wiz/Sorc is probably using Verbal components (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#components), and Verbal components require you "to speak in a strong voice", the Barbarian doesn't even need to make a roll if the Barbarian has max ranks (DC 0 to hear normal talking vs. a modifier well over 20).

If you want to get rid of the miss chance completely, and don't want to rely on a Listen check, the Barbarian can make use of a Hand of Glory (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handofGlory) or a Lantern Of Revealing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#lanternofRevealing) and any one of a number of methods of flight to get close enough.

Then it's just a matter of throwing things. Even with Total Concealment, the Sorcerer/Wizard will be dead in fairly short order.

willy101
2011-06-04, 08:12 PM
an actual straigth barbarian, the exact level of said barbarian was never specified, all that was told was that he was an epic leveled barbarian.

reason i am asking this is because one of my friends managed to kill an epic barbarian as a tenth level caster simply being invisible and hurling evocations at him, now we can all agree that is down rigth stupid, but it seems that this epic Barbarian left all his magical items at home but his axe...

yes i know it's stupid

edit: you only have your axe, no other items... even tho you are actaully disturbed in your sleep after destroying a village...

Hirax
2011-06-04, 08:15 PM
In what situation? I guess I'm not that surprised though, the fact that it's a straight barbarian already implies a very low optimization level.

Laendri
2011-06-04, 08:17 PM
Well, if the barbarian was nude, flatflooded, hangover, dumb as a stick and the wizard made some strategy other than invisible. (like quicken dimensional door so the barbarian cant detect him after casting, or silent spells inside a silence area so the barbarian didnt hear him.) It "might" be possible. But not easy, not "just invisible casting fireballs"

Also, lvl 10th wizard doesnt have that much spells, if the barbarian got the saves as he was supposed to, he migh be alive after all. Even with all the spells he could cast, evocation is not that great.

Jack_Simth
2011-06-04, 08:19 PM
edit: you only have your axe, no other items... even tho you are actaully disturbed in your sleep after destroying a village...

Improvised thrown weaponry. -4 for an improvised thrown weapon, -5 for distance, and the Barbarian should *still* be reliably hitting AC 18, really only needing to worry about the concealment miss chance that's left over after pinpointing a target with Listen.

Zaq
2011-06-04, 08:20 PM
He doesn't need magic items. He could pick up a clod of dirt from the ground, throw it at the source of the Fireballs, and probably do enough damage to KO the caster, or at least close to it.

Luckmann
2011-06-04, 08:20 PM
an actual straigth barbarian, the exact level of said barbarian was never specified, all that was told was that he was an epic leveled barbarian.

reason i am asking this is because one of my friends managed to kill an epic barbarian as a tenth level caster simply being invisible and hurling evocations at him, now we can all agree that is down rigth stupid, but it seems that this epic Barbarian left all his magical items at home but his axe...

yes i know it's stupid

edit: you only have your axe, no other items... even tho you are actaully disturbed in your sleep after destroying a village...Still, Listen Checks.

Whomever was controlling the Barbarian failed horribly. :smalltongue:

willy101
2011-06-04, 08:22 PM
Still, Listen Checks.

Whomever was controlling the Barbarian failed horribly. :smalltongue:

yes yes very much

Eldariel
2011-06-04, 08:40 PM
Whoever was controlling the Wizard failed equally horribly. There's no way an Epic Barbarian would stand a chance against a level 10 Wizard played competently without WBL difference (which didn't sound to be in play here). But this Wizard chooses an extremely insecure protections and an incredibly inefficient route of attack and only wins 'cause the Barbarian swallowed the Idiot Ball.

willy101
2011-06-04, 09:19 PM
thanks for your thoughts everyone, now i have a valid source for argumentation and it's damn funny to read your comments.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-04, 09:21 PM
The biggest issue is that the rules don't allow the Barbarian to act rationally in that situation; at level 26 the Barbarian should be able to throw the local granary into the air, filling it with grain and showing where the wizard is. Then throw houses to taste.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-04, 09:22 PM
As an epic level barbarian, I would have enough ranks in tumble to get past those AoOs and maxed out ranks in jump and climb. I just climb up onto the rooftops and jump at the wizard. And besides, I took the blind-fight feat.

Also, I power attack for -2 attack, +4 damage.

Fable Wright
2011-06-04, 09:59 PM
At this level? The barbarian could just pick up a rock and throw it at the wizard, killing him instantly. As a full attack, power attacking for lots. Alternatively, throw the 5ft square of land you're standing on at him. Either you hit him, in which case he's dead, or you miss him by 5ft, in which case you make an attack of opportunity at him as you fly by, causing him to leave your threatened area, instituting a grapple and killing him. Or just pick up and throw yourself at him for similar effects. It's really not that hard.

Luckmann
2011-06-04, 10:02 PM
Reminds me of that barbarian that was dying and in a last ditch attack, ripped out his own brain and threw it at the enemy - killing him. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2011-06-04, 10:02 PM
As an epic barbarian in a rage, you can probably roll a decent jump check to reach him. You'd have a high enough str (not even counting your high boost from rage) and enough ranks in jump to do it. And I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to detect where the wizard is by the origin point of all those spells.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-04, 10:09 PM
At this level? The barbarian could just pick up a rock and throw it at the wizard, killing him instantly. As a full attack, power attacking for lots. Alternatively, throw the 5ft square of land you're standing on at him. Either you hit him, in which case he's dead, or you miss him by 5ft, in which case you make an attack of opportunity at him as you fly by, causing him to leave your threatened area, instituting a grapple and killing him.

I didn't realize epic level barbarians were earthbenders.

Jack_Simth
2011-06-04, 10:26 PM
I didn't realize epic level barbarians were earthbenders.
They're not. They just use the ground under their feet as improvised weapons.

Which I suppose is close enough....