PDA

View Full Version : Question about soft cover

Seharvepernfan
2011-06-05, 12:30 AM
Enemies and allies alike give your opponents soft cover.

My question is, if your target has soft cover and you miss his armor class by less than four...

How is this resolved?

Big Fau
2011-06-05, 12:43 AM
That rule was removed from 3.5 for the sake of not screwing noncasters over any more than they all ready were being screwed over.

Not that it helps much, with so many DMs house ruling in fumbles anyway.

Greenish
2011-06-05, 12:44 AM
Enemies and allies alike give your opponents soft cover.

My question is, if your target has soft cover and you miss his armor class by less than four...

How is this resolved?You miss. That's all.

ericgrau
2011-06-05, 01:29 AM
At some point shooting your ally in the back of the head, dropping your weapon on every nat 1 and mocking the grappler by whacking him even in melee wasn't the 3 stooges hilarity that people thought it would be. Unfortunately some DMs still disagree even after all that nonsense was fixed.

Jeraa
2011-06-05, 01:33 AM
In 3.5, you just miss.

In 3.0, if you would of hit the target if he didn't have cover, you hit the cover instead. If the cover was granted by a creature, and your attack roll was enough to beat his AC, the covering creature takes damage. However, if the covering creature has a Dex bonus to AC or a dodge bonus, and this bonus keeps the covering creature from being hit, then your original target is hit by the attack, as the covering creature has dodged out of the way. The covering creature can choose not to apply his Dex bonus or Dodge bonus to his AC if he wanted to keep the covered character from being hit.

Zaq
2011-06-05, 02:31 AM
In 3.5, you just miss.

In 3.0, if you would of hit the target if he didn't have cover, you hit the cover instead. If the cover was granted by a creature, and your attack roll was enough to beat his AC, the covering creature takes damage. However, if the covering creature has a Dex bonus to AC or a dodge bonus, and this bonus keeps the covering creature from being hit, then your original target is hit by the attack, as the covering creature has dodged out of the way. The covering creature can choose not to apply his Dex bonus or Dodge bonus to his AC if he wanted to keep the covered character from being hit.

My gut response is "you're joking, right?" But a sad part of me has no problem believing that you're not.

Jeraa
2011-06-05, 12:13 PM
My gut response is "you're joking, right?" But a sad part of me has no problem believing that you're not.

Nope, not a joke. I was looking at the 3.0 PHB as I typed that.