PDA

View Full Version : checking out some D&D vids on youtube

Popertop
2011-06-05, 01:23 AM
Are there any "primers" for optimization?

I think that would be a really interesting series.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-05, 01:28 AM
I generally find the handbooks handy dandy, but I am not the world's best optimizer. Have you tried them, and if so, how did they not work for you? Not trying to be mean, but this idea intrigues me and I think it would work if it focused on helping people who either do not like or are confused by threads.

Godskook
2011-06-05, 02:05 AM
-Jaronk's tier list
-Treantmonk's guide to wizards
-TLN's Batman wizard
-Person Man's guide to X(were x is basically whatever you want it to be*)

*No seriously. I doubted once too, but then I checked, and he has a guide on how not to doubt yourself anymore.

Popertop
2011-06-05, 12:50 PM
I am familiar with those guides, although I haven't read all of PersonMan's stuff.

It's not that I don't "get it" or understand the concepts behind optimization, but rather that I think a series of primers and maybe discussion videos where perhaps an experienced homebrewer and an expert on optimization take questions and have general discussions on the game and stuff like that. (wow what a run-on sentence)

I learn just fine by reading the stuff, but I'm also a very visual learner, so a video series with illustrations and examples from actual games would help me understand even further. And I know many others are like me and would benefit a lot from a video series summarizing many concepts of op-fu and going into detail about what works and why.

Urpriest
2011-06-05, 01:27 PM
Eh, it's not like video games, though. D&D is so text-based, that I really couldn't see that kind of thing working. I mean, you don't see video guides for advanced physics, or the like. It's just not the right medium.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-05, 02:15 PM
I went to university that often incorporated videos. Heck, some professors streamed videos of their lectures online for people to look at. The physics department might not have, but other ones did.

I would also have to disagree with DnD being text based. The rules are text based, but the actual game is not. In fact, if someone knew of a video explaining rules of 3.5 (With attention to charging and skill checks) I would gladly offer a baby to a dark power.