PDA

View Full Version : Hello all. please train me.

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 05:35 AM
hello all
greatings.
I am a new member here in giantitp. I recently registered (around a few hours ago)
I would like to ask some help as to how could I start playing. Uhm...can anybody please train me in roleplaying here in PbP?
My previous experience in roleplaying lies solely on consoles (playstation), particularly on Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9.
Hope you could train me.

Lemonus
2011-06-05, 06:45 AM
The Roleplaying we mainly do in PbP is games like D&D and Pathfinder, which you would need the rulebooks for. If you are looking for an open-ended type of RPing, try Free Form Roleplaying (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32) (FFRP for short).

Strawberries
2011-06-05, 07:07 AM
Hey there.
First of all, welcome. :smallsmile: If you'd like something more structured than free form roleplaying, there is the Finding players: recruitment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51) subforum, where we ask and recruit for games like D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Exalted and the like.

Don't worry if you don't have the rulebooks and don't want to purchase them at the moment: a lot of games have perfectly legal system reference documents or quick start guides that you can use to start getting a feel for the game. For instance, the 3.5 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) has (almost) all the rules you need to play Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 (the system which the comic is based on, and one of the most popular on the play by post subforum)

I'd like to point you to the guide to play by post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181299) that's stickied in the subforum (also in my sig). You can find useful info on play by post there, and also a list of the free stuff (the second table under the spoiler "Reference material").

Also, don't worry about being a newbie. I learned to play the same way you are, just using the free material, and joining games targeted to newbies in the recruitment subforum. People around here have been nothing short of helpful and amazing.

Also also, my PM box is open if you have any doubts or need any other advice (or even just want to chat, really. :smalltongue:).

Cheers!
Strawberries.:smallsmile:

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 08:20 AM
thanks.
I really don't know where to start.
Overwhelmed.

Ursus the Grim
2011-06-05, 08:23 AM
thanks.
I really don't know where to start.
Overwhelmed.

Well, let's start with this. Are you familiar with any sort of tabletop gaming? Dungeons & Dragons, Call of Ctuhulu, d20 modern, Star Wars RPG?

You don't have to be, but it will help to decide what you're interested in.

Dark Kerman
2011-06-05, 08:26 AM
Don't worry, you'll get there. :P If I can give you any advice while learning the rules, it's to find a class you like and learn there tricks so to speak. Also, depending how sure you are to deal with rules, possibly go for a class with simpler aspects (Like fighter). This is of course applies if you are planning on playing DnD 3.5. :smalltongue:

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 08:44 AM
Well, let's start with this. Are you familiar with any sort of tabletop gaming? Dungeons & Dragons, Call of Ctuhulu, d20 modern, Star Wars RPG?

You don't have to be, but it will help to decide what you're interested in.

uhm...i haven't experience yet tabletop gaming. And among the tabeltop games, I am VERY INTERESTED in Dungeons & Dragons.
Please train me.

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 08:47 AM
Don't worry, you'll get there. :P If I can give you any advice while learning the rules, it's to find a class you like and learn there tricks so to speak. Also, depending how sure you are to deal with rules, possibly go for a class with simpler aspects (Like fighter). This is of course applies if you are planning on playing DnD 3.5. :smalltongue:

Thanks Dark Kerman,
uhm...I want to learn DnD 3.5. I dont even know what 3.5 means.
I wanna experience and learn DnD3.5.
please, anybody train me. (even one on one training if possible? :smallsmile:)

Neftren
2011-06-05, 08:55 AM
Thanks Dark Kerman,

3.5 is the third (and a half) edition of Dungeons and Dragons. It refers to a specific ruleset among Dungeons and Dragons players, so as not to be confused with 4e (fourth edition) when individuals simply type or say "D&D".

With that said, have you read the guide that Strawberries linked you, and that I sent you via PM? It explains most of what basic roleplaying is on a forum, though I'll admit, it is a long read (a very worthwhile read though!). At the very least, you ought to get some of the typing convention down. For example, colored text for character speech, and so on. I'll try to find you a good example thread (off the top of my head, maybe Roland can provide one of his threads as an example)...?

Now, if you want to learn D&D 3.5 specifically, you may want to obtain a Player's Handbook (3.5e). Send me a PM about that, and I'll see what I can do for you. Ultimately, 3.5e hinges around "the core mechanic" -- rolling a 20-sided die, and then adding a relevant modifier or "bonus". So for example, to attack a monster, I would first roll a twenty-sided die (d20), and add my bonus to attack (say, +1 from having a magic sword). In game speak, that would be called an 'Attack Roll for 1d20+1' which is then compared against the target's defense rating, or 'Armor Class'. If I meet or exceed that number, then it's a "Hit" and I proceed to roll damage (which is not done with a d20).

Ursus the Grim
2011-06-05, 08:55 AM
Thanks Dark Kerman,

Hang on, this will be a lengthy response. Basically, 3.5 refers to the version. For instance, D&D 3.5 is say, Final Fantasy 8 (or 7 if you prefer). D&D 4th is Final Fantasy XIII. Newer, streamlined, but perhaps less fun. Give me a second to give you the rundown.

Edit: Never mind, swordsaged already.

But in lieu of a PHB, the following link and all parts of that site are relevant.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 09:02 AM
WOW!!!
I've beginning to like it here because of the support these people provided.
Thanks in advance.

Trog
2011-06-05, 09:05 AM
On the newspaper! ON THE NEWSPAPER! :smallmad: *Whaps with Sunday edition*

Bad poster! Baaaaaad!! :smallmad: *waggles stern finger at*

=P

@v You're not. It's a "training" joke. Welcome to the forums. We're silly here. :smalltongue:

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 09:06 AM
On the newspaper! ON THE NEWSPAPER! :smallmad: *Whaps with Sunday edition*

Bad poster! Baaaaaad!! :smallmad: *waggles stern finger at*

I don't understand...Why am i a bad poster?

Neftren
2011-06-05, 09:23 AM
I don't understand...Why am i a bad poster?

Just ignore it. It's a forum joke. :smallwink:

Strawberries
2011-06-05, 10:09 AM
WOW!!!
I've beginning to like it here because of the support these people provided.
Thanks in advance.

See? Told you we are a driendly bunch. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

...crazy, but friendly.:smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2011-06-05, 10:25 AM
See? Told you we are a driendly bunch. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

...crazy, but friendly.:smalltongue:

We're all insane. It's too late to save him now! :smalleek:

EDIT: Whoops. Forgot what I was actually gonna post about. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166066) is a thread explaining how FreeForm Role-Playing works. That's specifically that section of the board, in case you're interested in it.

Pokonic
2011-06-05, 02:45 PM
Wellcome to the playground! Abandon all hope to ye who enter!
Anyhow, to clear up confusion with the editions.

3.5 was the last version, and the one the vast majority of playgrounders play. The srd has already been linked to, but the vast majority of the books(options) are out of print, and would have to be hunted down online or second hand book stores. However, some of the matirial is simply bad, and balance problems abound, but it is still very enjoyable and fun.

4 is the current version. All the books are in print, and it is the one I assumed you will have the most access to. It is more balanced than 3.5 by far, and the rules are updated online on wizerds websight. As a player of both 3.5 and 4, 4 has fewer choices per class, but is more balanced then 3.5. Allso, 4 has fewer options for non-combat roleplaying than 3.5,as in there are fewer ways to interact with the gameworld without fighting monsters, so I must admit that 3.5 supports roleplay heavy games better than 4.

WalkingTarget
2011-06-05, 03:00 PM
Wellcome to the playground! Abandon all hope to ye who enter!
Anyhow, to clear up confusion with the editions.

3.5 was the last version, and the one the vast majority of playgrounders play. The srd has already been linked to, but the vast majority of the books(options) are out of print, and would have to be hunted down online or second hand book stores. However, some of the matirial is simply bad, and balance problems abound, but it is still very injoyable and fun.

4 is the current version. All the books are in print, and it is the one I assumed you will have the most acceses to. It is more balanced than 3.5 by far, and the rules are updated online on wizerds websight. As a player of both 3.5 and 4, 4 has fewer choices per class, but is more balanced then 3.5. Allso,4 has fewer options for non-combate roleplaying than 3.5, as in there are fewer ways to interact with the gameworld without fighting monsters, so I must admite that 3.5 supports roleplay heavy game better than 4.

Speaking to somebody new to roleplaying games in general: what is meant by "balanced" is that the different character options presented in the game rules allow for approximately the same utility as one another. A problem inherent in the 3.5 edition of D&D (but by no means exclusive to that game) is that some character classes (wizards for example) were much more powerful and had more useful abilities in a wider variety of situations than others (like fighters) while yet other classes were not designed as well as they may have been and have inherent flaws that prevent them from doing even what they're meant to do (truenamers, monks, from what I've seen on the boards here).

Also, it might seem a little misleading to say that 4th edition has fewer non-combat options for roleplaying - it might be better to say that the game presents fewer rules for non-combat options, meaning that different game masters will have to make their own rulings more often in those circumstances since the rulebook simply doesn't address them. This means that different games with different people will have different ways of doing things - which can be tough to get a handle on for people new to the hobby, especially if the games are all online (in my experience). Whether this is a good thing overall comes down to personal preference, generally.

If you're looking to get books, just always remember to check the editions to make sure they match the game you're going to be playing in.

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 05:16 PM
Seems like I already see it clearer than before.
Thanks for the explanation guys.
I'm looking now to read the basics of D&D 3.5.
I know it's a long read. but I WILL read it. hehe :smile:
But before i'll start reading, I just want to make sure if 3.5 is ok for me?
I mean, for beginners like me, should I go for 3.5? or 4?

Maxios
2011-06-05, 05:18 PM
I think you should go with 3.5

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 07:07 PM
I think you should go with 3.5

SamBurke
2011-06-05, 07:13 PM
Pathfinder's easier, though.

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 07:16 PM
Pathfinder's easier, though.

uhmm...what's Pathfinder?
(my apology for my ignorance)

Ursus the Grim
2011-06-05, 07:21 PM

No apologies necessary. Pathfinder is basically D&D 3.75. Its revised with a few things changed but the overall core mechanics are the same as 3.5

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 07:29 PM
No apologies necessary. Pathfinder is basically D&D 3.75. Its revised with a few things changed but the overall core mechanics are the same as 3.5

ah, ok. thanks for this.
So its 1 vote for 3.5 and 1 vote for 3.75 :biggrin:

(I am currently reading now the core mechanics.)

Neftren
2011-06-05, 07:29 PM
Seems like I already see it clearer than before.
Thanks for the explanation guys.
I'm looking now to read the basics of D&D 3.5.
I know it's a long read. but I WILL read it. hehe :smile:
But before i'll start reading, I just want to make sure if 3.5 is ok for me?
I mean, for beginners like me, should I go for 3.5? or 4?

It really depends on what you want. If you're looking for a MMO-type experience, with lots of "flashy" skills and more clear-cut classes, then you'll want to look into 4th Edition.

If you enjoy lots of customization and more varieties of dungeons, then 3.5 Edition is much more widespread, so the content is more diverse. That, and the system is designed to be much more modular, in that you can essentially take little dips into other published books, using them as references sources, rather than having to read every single page.

So, to recap, 4e is more like a "modern" game (e.g. MMO or flashy class-based combat), while 3.5e is like skimming a lot of books at the bookstore or library. 3.5e is by far the more difficult to learn in my opinion, but ultimately also has the most potential. After you've played both though, you'll generally figure out which one you have a preference for.

Pathfinder (sometimes referred to as D&D 3.6e) is an "updated" set of the 3.5e rules (just as 3.5 is an update of 3e) published by Paizo (non-Wizards of the Coast company). It adds a number of new published dungeons, and "fixes" for some of the classes. On the flip side, it renders some of the older published content unusable due to rule changes.

If you just want an opinion, I think that if you're serious about learning roleplaying and becoming a good roleplayer, you should start off joining a "rules-lite" type game. There's a bit of a phrase that goes around: "Roleplay, not Rollplay" -- that is, the game is about playing a character and a story, not a bunch of numbers on a page. For example, how to direct your character and not just post one-liners such as "Skree the Goblin swings his sword for 1d6 damage" a million times, and instead post something more like, "With an audacious shout, Skree brings his sword down on the hapless rabbit, killing it in one, swift, strike." Obviously the latter isn't that great either, but it's still an improvement over the first. My theory is, once you learn the roleplaying side of things, the rules and mechanics will come naturally, and you can start to branch out from there.

Hope this helps. Send me a PM if you have any questions about things not on the Guide.

Edit: Bleh, Ursus, your turn to ninja me. :smalltongue:

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 07:39 PM
Thanks Neftren.

3.5e is by far the more difficult to learn in my opinion

Hmm...I see. Thanks for this.:smallsmile:

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 08:13 PM
I am currently reading the core mechanics.
And I was wondering...how long will it take you to learn the basics necessary for gameplay?
When you were a beginner like me, how long does it take you to learn?
(just asking so that i have an idea as I venture into the world of DnD *excited*)
:cool:

Nibleswick
2011-06-05, 08:25 PM
If you have a good Game Master who's willing to walk you through the basics probably about half an hour worth of playing the game. (it'll take a good bit longer doing play by post just because it's slower than real life).

Neftren
2011-06-05, 08:34 PM
I am currently reading the core mechanics.
And I was wondering...how long will it take you to learn the basics necessary for gameplay?
When you were a beginner like me, how long does it take you to learn?
(just asking so that i have an idea as I venture into the world of DnD *excited*)
:cool:

I can honestly say that when I started here in 2006, I had absolutely no clue what I was doing for the first two months. Of course, that was back in 2006, when the forums weren't quite so big.

Mechanically speaking? Anyone familiar with the rules can probably teach you the basics in about an hour or less. There are still many discussions occurring in the gaming forums about the more advanced rules and so on, but they're largely unimportant to general gameplay if you are only playing with the core books (Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual(s)).

I'm pretty sure physical copies of the 3.5e book have a quick start guide in them. If not, then the general rule of thumb is that almost every action hinges on a d20, unless otherwise specified. So, attack roll? d20. Skill check? d20. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but if you just randomly guess that the roll involves a d20, you're probably right more than half the time.

Savannah
2011-06-05, 09:32 PM
Learning 3.5 isn't really that hard. You'll want a patient DM to walk you through character creation, but after that, the general idea is "roll a d20, add something, and hope for a high number" :smallwink: The details of that can take a little bit to get, but how long it will take will depend on how fast the game is moving (pbp) or how long you play (real-life).

Also, I'm always happy to answer questions by PM (or in this thread :smallwink:) if you need help. (I'm also happy to help you make your first character(s), if you're not in a game where the DM is helping with that.)

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 09:44 PM
wow, thanks for the support Savannah.
I'm currently reading the guides. I'll contact you once I'll start the character creation.
Thanks for the support folks. Seems like these people here are very supportive.

Ranger Mattos
2011-06-05, 10:02 PM
Well it looks like I found this thread too late to be of any meaningful assistance, but you seem to be doing fine learning the rules. I'm also available to answer any questions you may have.

Wait, I just thought of something I could add. Since you're just starting out, I would recommend that you just stick to the Core rules for now, not the Psionic or Variant rules, and definitely not the Epic or Divine rules (way out of the scope you'd be dealing with for a while).

psepheroth
2011-06-05, 10:08 PM
I would recommend that you just stick to the Core rules for now

yup. core rules for now :smallsmile:

Lemonus
2011-06-06, 07:39 AM
If you go into 4th Edition, I would be more than happy to run a basic game to help you learn the rules. (Can't help much with 3.5, sorry)

psepheroth
2011-06-06, 10:56 AM
As I read the guide, I came across this which confuses me:

Human base land speed is 30 feet.

Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet.

I was kinda confuse about the term speed and the preceeding numbers. 30 feet is not a speed but a distance. As what i've known, speed is measured in distance per unit of time.
Could anybody enlighten me why is this in unit of "feet"?
thanks

Strawberries
2011-06-06, 11:00 AM
Yup. It is expressed in feet because it is implied "per round". D&D combat is done in unit of times which are "rounds". A speed of 30 ft means that you can move 30 feet each round.

For an explanation of what is a round see here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm).

:smallsmile:

psepheroth
2011-06-06, 11:05 AM
thanks Strawberries,
that answers my question.
(status: continue reading...) :smile:

Asta Kask
2011-06-06, 11:49 AM
The basic mechanic is this - roll a twenty-sided die, add modifiers and see if you are at or above a target number.

There's a lot more than that, obviously, but in danger or in doubt - roll a twenty-sided die, add modifiers and see if you are at or above a target number.

Ranger Mattos
2011-06-06, 11:53 AM
Yup. It is expressed in feet because it is implied "per round". D&D combat is done in unit of times which are "rounds". A speed of 30 ft means that you can move 30 feet each round.

For an explanation of what is a round see here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm).

:smallsmile:

Actually, speed is "per Move Action". I don't know if you're that far, but you can have 1 Standard Action (which can be traded for a Move Action) and 1 Move Action (which can't be traded in for a Standard Action), or 1 Full-Round Action.

You can read on the d20SRD for more information on the types of actions (I can't link to it now, my school blocks the site :smallannoyed:)

Strawberries
2011-06-06, 12:38 PM
Actually, speed is "per Move Action".

Right, my bad. :smallredface:

I don't know if you're that far, but you can have 1 Standard Action (which can be traded for a Move Action) and 1 Move Action (which can't be traded in for a Standard Action), or 1 Full-Round Action.

You can read on the d20SRD for more information on the types of actions (I can't link to it now, my school blocks the site :smallannoyed:)

I can link to it: here, in the "Combat" section of the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#actionTypes).

I was almost forgetting. About combat, one page that I found extremely useful when I was learning (and was really confused :smalltongue:) was this one (http://www.hamesucken.com/combat.html).

Psepheroth, if you are interested in play by posts here, it may be a good idea to check out some actual games that are held on this site (so you have an idea of how games are run). :smallwink:

Neftren
2011-06-06, 05:43 PM
Actually, speed is "per Move Action". I don't know if you're that far, but you can have 1 Standard Action (which can be traded for a Move Action) and 1 Move Action (which can't be traded in for a Standard Action), or 1 Full-Round Action.

Also, note that while a movement speed is denoted in feet, many of D&D's measurements are calculated in tiles for use on a miniatures board. Five feet = 1 tile in standard D&D while using a grid system. If you're curious on how a grid system functions, I can go more into that sometime later (there are some certain wonky mechanics that fail to work properly without adjustment... e.g. charging).

As for looking at a game, good examples are the games that Roland St. Jude run, or possibly the Kingmaker threads. A number of people also have links in their signatures (e.g. Savannah), if you just want to browse a few threads and get an idea of what a game generally looks like. After playing enough, you'll learn to spot quality DMs and poor DMs (and the same goes for characters).

@Ranger Mattos: Use translate.google.com or something as a proxy site. Or just pull the cache off Google, since it renders from a Google URL (and IP).

psepheroth
2011-06-06, 08:12 PM
Thank you everyone.
I'm now very excited to play PbP DnD, but I need to read and learn the basics first. :smallsmile:
And yes, reading actual PbP DnD ongoing games here would be very helpful.
I'll post again here if I have questions.

Lady Moreta
2011-06-07, 03:42 AM
And yes, reading actual PbP DnD ongoing games here would be very helpful.

And it's entertaining as well :smallbiggrin: I have a habit of browsing the ongoing games forum when I'm bored and looking for something to read. I actually have two games that I'm not involved in that I'm stalking because they're so good :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2011-06-07, 05:55 AM
And when you've cut your teeth on D&D, you can join the dark side. (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/)

Neftren
2011-06-07, 05:37 PM
And it's entertaining as well :smallbiggrin: I have a habit of browsing the ongoing games forum when I'm bored and looking for something to read. I actually have two games that I'm not involved in that I'm stalking because they're so good :smallbiggrin:

Stalking? O.o You aren't one of those creepy bears in your avatar that you conveniently place in strange locations.... you know what? This is creeping me out. I'll just pretend-- right. Moving on...

psepheroth, let us know how things are going? 'kay?

Lady Moreta
2011-06-07, 08:11 PM
Stalking? O.o You aren't one of those creepy bears in your avatar that you conveniently place in strange locations.... you know what? This is creeping me out. I'll just pretend-- right. Moving on...

Yes. That's exactly what I'm doing. Tedzilla and his minions are slowly taking over the playground :smalltongue:

psepheroth
2011-06-08, 12:27 AM
And when you've cut your teeth on D&D, you can join the dark side. (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/)

Oooh...the dark side...i wonder what that is...

psepheroth
2011-06-08, 12:31 AM
psepheroth, let us know how things are going? 'kay?

I am now reading each classes. I finish reading Paladine, Monk, Fighter, etc...
I am now currently in the Rogue part
Thanks Neftren. I'll be updating here every now and then. Thanks :smallsmile:

psepheroth
2011-06-08, 12:32 AM
I've come across this:

deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not)
What does AC means? Also there's a DC, I dunno what that means...:smallconfused:

Savannah
2011-06-08, 12:38 AM
AC = Armor Class. You have to get that number or higher to hit someone.

DC = Difficulty Class. You have to get that number or higher to succeed at a task.

Strawberries
2011-06-08, 12:42 AM
AC: Armor class. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm). How hard you are to hit. :smalltongue:

Your Armor Class (AC) represents how hard it is for opponents to land a solid, damaging blow on you. It’s the attack roll result that an opponent needs to achieve to hit you. Your AC is equal to the following:

10 + armor bonus + shield bonus + Dexterity modifier + size modifier

DC= difficulty class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm). The number you have to beat to succeed at something.

Some checks are made against a Difficulty Class (DC). The DC is a number (set using the skill rules as a guideline) that you must score as a result on your skill check in order to succeed

EDIT:: Ninja'd! :smallbiggrin:

Savannah
2011-06-08, 12:46 AM
Yes, well, you provided links :smalltongue: Also, the second SRD quote is somewhat incomplete; DCs are used most often for skill checks, but are also used for ability checks and saving throws.

psepheroth
2011-06-08, 02:12 AM
I've seen some tables. I understand Spells per Day on the table. However, I was wondering what Fort Save, Ref Save and Will Save mean?
Also, Base Attack Bonus is always added? Like if I am 2nd level, I will always do +1 every attack?
Thanks

Savannah
2011-06-08, 02:22 AM
I've seen some tables. I understand Spells per Day on the table. However, I was wondering what Fort Save, Ref Save and Will Save mean?

Saves are used to resist things like poison, spells, and similar.
Fort = Fortitude. It's used to resist physical things, like poison.
Ref = Reflex. It's used to get out of the way of things, like a dragon's fiery breath.
Will = Will. It's used to resist mental things, like being magically charmed.

Also, Base Attack Bonus is always added? Like if I am 2nd level, I will always do +1 every attack?

Well, it depends on what you are. Some second level characters will have +0, some will have +1, and some will have +2. It depends on class. However, to answer your question:
When you attack, you'll roll a d20 (20-sided die) and add something. That something is your Base Attack Bonus (BAB) plus your Strength modifier (if you're doing a melee attack) or your Dexterity modifier (if you're doing a ranged attack) plus sometimes some miscellaneous things. Then you compare your result of d20+BAB+Str/Dex+misc to your enemies' Armor Class (AC). If your result is equal to or higher than their AC, you hit. How much damage you do depends on what weapon you're using. So, yes, when attacking you always add your BAB to your attack roll. (You'll get to a detailed description of this later in the book.)

psepheroth
2011-06-08, 02:49 AM
You've answered my question Savannah.
Thanks. It's a good thing to have you guys guiding me as I learn. Thanks for the support.

psepheroth
2011-06-08, 04:30 AM
Hello all,
I was browsing at the forum list under In-character.
I was looking for on-going DnD 3.5 game so I can have the feel of the game.
However, as I look at the forum subjects, I cannot determine which one to pick. I don't know if the game is a 3.5 or a 4.
so, uhm..how to know which DnD version they are using?
Or can anybody guide me where I can read the on-going play? Perhaps a link?
thanks.

Asta Kask
2011-06-08, 05:06 AM
Oooh...the dark side...i wonder what that is...

Any time... any place... any background...

And it does Dungeon Fantasy (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/dungeonfantasy/)!

Ranger Mattos
2011-06-08, 07:11 AM
Hello all,
I was browsing at the forum list under In-character.
I was looking for on-going DnD 3.5 game so I can have the feel of the game.
However, as I look at the forum subjects, I cannot determine which one to pick. I don't know if the game is a 3.5 or a 4.
so, uhm..how to know which DnD version they are using?
Or can anybody guide me where I can read the on-going play? Perhaps a link?
thanks.

When you start looking for a game, you'd want to look in the Recruitment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51) section. In that section, games will typically have the title as something along the lines of "[3.5] High-powered game" or "D&D 4e beginner game". Otherwise, when the game gets a DM, they are supposed to post the Big 16, which is used to provide information about the game for potential players. You can find out the version of the game being played there.
In the Ongoing Game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13) Section, you can find ongoing games to read. Just don't post in them if you're not in the game.

psepheroth
2011-06-08, 08:58 AM
thanks Ranger Mattos,
I understand about looking at the recruitment section. But that game didn't start yet.
I was looking for something already started.
I tried looking at the on-going games, but I can't seem to find if a certain game is a 3.5 or not.
thanks

Strawberries
2011-06-08, 01:01 PM
Well, if you are interested, in the first link in my signature there is a table where there are listed the games I'm in, with the relative system...most of them are 3.5. If you want, you could give them a look. :smallwink:

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-06-08, 04:59 PM
I know you are reading the PHB right now but on these forums this link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512) might be helpful for any terms that you come across that you don't know. Don't let how many of them there are overwhelm you, use it as a reference sheet. God knows I had to the first time I read about 'crunch' and 'cheese' :smalleek:.

Ranger Mattos
2011-06-08, 06:57 PM
thanks Ranger Mattos,
I understand about looking at the recruitment section. But that game didn't start yet.
I was looking for something already started.
I tried looking at the on-going games, but I can't seem to find if a certain game is a 3.5 or not.
thanks

I had meant that when you want to play, that's where you would look for games. Didn't know whether you knew or not.

psepheroth
2011-06-08, 08:53 PM
Well, if you are interested, in the first link in my signature there is a table where there are listed the games I'm in, with the relative system...most of them are 3.5. If you want, you could give them a look. :smallwink:

That link is helpful Strawberries. Thanks for that. It would really help.

psepheroth
2011-06-08, 08:56 PM
I know you are reading the PHB right now but on these forums this link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512) might be helpful for any terms that you come across that you don't know. Don't let how many of them there are overwhelm you, use it as a reference sheet. God knows I had to the first time I read about 'crunch' and 'cheese' :smalleek:.

finally there is a reference. Thanks for the link. At least I could look into the link first before asking for the meaning of a certain abbreviation.
thanks.

psepheroth
2011-06-08, 08:58 PM
I had meant that when you want to play, that's where you would look for games. Didn't know whether you knew or not.

No problem. Thanks Ranger Mattos.:smile:

Ranger Mattos
2011-06-08, 09:11 PM
Helpful tip for the boards: See the button in the far right corner, next to the Quote button, that sort of looks like a "+? That's the Multiquote button. Clicking that on multiple posts allows you to quote all of those posts at the same time.

Neftren
2011-06-08, 10:08 PM

You know, that's the other project I've been slowly working on. Updating that post and wrapping it into the guide. Thanks for reminding me.

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 08:52 AM
Hello all!
do you still remember me?
I'm back.
I hope you still welcome me.