PDA

View Full Version : Good Candidate for Undead Dragon

mootoall
2011-06-05, 10:20 AM
A bit of a two-parter here. I'm building a Dread Necromancer for some Epic campainging here, and I was wondering what a good 34 HD dragon to zombify/skeleton-ify (egads that was weird)/ghostify would be. Part two is, since we're assuming rebuking, is there's any way to increase the amount of HD I can control with a rebuke?

Edit: Right, forgot books. Just assume all are available, Dragon Compendium potentially acceptable, homebrew upon review, etc. etc.

Urpriest
2011-06-05, 10:30 AM
Are you using the Draconomicon rules for zombie/skellyfying this Dragon?

mootoall
2011-06-05, 10:34 AM
Yessir, unless there's a good reason not to.

Also available is Awaken Undead, which I might be able to finagle into re-granting spellcasting. But assume that's not the case for now.

Urpriest
2011-06-05, 10:54 AM
Yessir, unless there's a good reason not to.

Also available is Awaken Undead, which I might be able to finagle into re-granting spellcasting. But assume that's not the case for now.

Alright, tasty.

I'd go with either a Skeletal Fang Dragon to pile up the natural attacks, or a Zombie Shadow Dragon for mobility and that negative-levels breath weapon.

mootoall
2011-06-05, 11:43 AM
Alright, tasty.

I'd go with either a Skeletal Fang Dragon to pile up the natural attacks, or a Zombie Shadow Dragon for mobility and that negative-levels breath weapon.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Only problem with the Zombie Shadow Dragon is the lowered Cha from Zombie making the DC for the breath weapon trivial.

Fouredged Sword
2011-06-06, 12:11 PM
Get a good cloak of charisma to wrap around it. That should shore up that save. Ask your DM about a custom magic item granting the feat that raises the save of a ability (ability focus I think, buit I am not sure).

Pyroclastic dragons have a desintegration breath. That can be a fun tool to play with.

mootoall
2011-06-06, 01:28 PM
Yeah, that was my first idea, getting it a cloak and such, since I have Craft Wondrous Item and the entire Cleric spell list. But ability focus is on the agenda with Awaken Undead. And I love Pyroclastic dragons, yeah.

JaronK
2011-06-06, 02:25 PM
A Skeletal Red Dragon has immunity to fire and cold, which is handy. And such creatures are AMAZING for spell stitching, since they'll have a huge caster level. Spell Stitch it with Extract Gift, Awaken Undead, and Animate Dread Warrior for best results (note: you need to get its Wisdom to 19 to do this, but only temporarily).

JaronK

mootoall
2011-06-06, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the good advice, JaronK! That's something I'll definitely look into. Even if I don't have enough crafting XP for it, buying enough Thought Bottles or Liquid Pain should do it.

Keld Denar
2011-06-06, 02:31 PM
Zombie Blue Dragon would have a burrow speed on top of its fly speed, which is kinda slick. You could ride on or in it while it tunnels inside of a fortress or whatever, then yell SNEAK ATTACK when you burst through the ground in the middle of the keep.

Or just fly over it...that works too.

mootoall
2011-06-06, 03:31 PM
I'm already burrowing on live Amythest Dragons that I rebuked through the Air domain :smalltongue: Thanks for the advice though! Another question, though, is if they were ever updated to 3.5.

Urpriest
2011-06-06, 03:36 PM
I'm already burrowing on live Amythest Dragons that I rebuked through the Air domain :smalltongue: Thanks for the advice though! Another question, though, is if they were ever updated to 3.5.

MMII was one of the books covered by the 3.5 update booklet, so that's the closest you'll get to an update either way.