PDA

View Full Version : You have 4 pages worth of spells on your body...

deuxhero
2011-06-05, 12:42 PM
Tattooing spells to a character's body was brought up in another thread, and I had a thought. What spells would a wizard assign this relatively little space to?
Let's assume the following.

1: The visible parts of the body would provide 4 pages (which is 4 level 1, 2 level 2 ect LTIC) worth of writing.
2: These would be applied at character creation for a level 6 wizard (Seems like a good starting level), so only level 0-3 spells could be applied.
3: Sure "they would just kill/blind the wizard if they couldn't easily disable them easily", but that's not the point. Let's just say they were... hidden via a Secret Page (Would that work on tattoos? Not the point!) and appear blank/non-spell related so we can avoid it and answer the main question.

edit:
4: The wizard also has a normal spell book, these are just for emergencies.

Zaq
2011-06-05, 12:45 PM
I do believe that Complete Arcane has rules for this already, complete with how many pages any given body part is worth. (Hint: Geometer is a pretty OK PrC for a character who wants to do this.)

EDIT: Pg. 186-7, if you care.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-05, 12:45 PM
According to the rules a human body actually has enough surface area for eighty pages, but...

Redshirt Army
2011-06-05, 12:46 PM
Wasn't there a cantrip that summoned material components? Seems like a good backup, since if you're stuck without a spellbook, you may not have your pouch either.

deuxhero
2011-06-05, 12:47 PM
Seems like a good option to fuel other spells, though it would depend on having the other spells need the components.

According to the rules a human body actually has enough surface area for eighty pages, but...

And how much is visible to the wearer?

Again, not the entirely the point.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-05, 12:48 PM
And how much is visible to the wearer?

Again, not the entirely the point.

The wearer has a familiar, so all of it.

Zale
2011-06-05, 12:48 PM
I would say you would want to put your most commonly used spells on your arms, or somewhere you could see easily.

That way you don't have to practically strip every morning to prepare your spells for the day. :smalleek:

Godskook
2011-06-05, 12:49 PM
If I was tattooing spells to my body, I'd be building the faux faux wizard

deuxhero
2011-06-05, 12:51 PM

Wait? There are wizard that summon the EXP bomb in the first place?

I'm doubting they would put it in the same cell anyways.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-05, 12:52 PM
Anyway, to answer the question: Knock. And then to fill the rest of the space... Prestidigitation, because it can be so useful.

Zale
2011-06-05, 01:03 PM
Knock would definitely be useful in such a scenario.

I could also see Charm Person being used on your captors.

PirateLizard
2011-06-05, 01:34 PM
Grease, can cast it on yourself/someone else to escape grapples, or set stuff on fire. Universally useful.

stainboy
2011-06-05, 01:39 PM

All of it? 79/80 pages, sure, but that eightieth page...

Coidzor
2011-06-05, 01:42 PM

I imagine for reasons of taste it leaves out erogenous zones.

Flickerdart
2011-06-05, 01:47 PM
The parts that a wizard can't normally see (his back, face, etc) explicitly state that with mirrors or a familiar, they can be used. And since prestidigitation can shine objects, mirrors are not a problem, really.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-05, 02:15 PM

Familiars are as much a part of their master as they are their own separate beings. I can't imagine a Wizard being prudish where his familiar is concerned.

Grease, can cast it on yourself/someone else to escape grapples, or set stuff on fire. Universally useful.

Grease isn't flammable.

Delcor
2011-06-05, 02:48 PM
Ok I'm sorry but I've had this on my mind for a long time:

Would any of you, if you were a wizard tattoo spells on your entire?

I mean come on, as optimizingly OP as it it is, its not normal. If I saw a guy walking down the street with 50+ tatts, I'd think he was a freak. Personally if I was a DM, I wouldn't allow more than one tatt per arm, and maybe some on other areas, but if they insisted on having obcene amounts, I would have their charmisma lowered from people trying to view their faces or skin.

I could see a power hungry wizard doing this, but not your average adventurer.

Also tattoos on the back/face where you can't see them? (I believe someone mention using mirrors) It would take while for you to whip out a mirror, or even if you had one in your hand to use it to view yur ass and read a spell, certainly longer than 6 seconds (1 round), and i don't think my toad familiar is going to have an easy time reading my backside for me.

true_shinken
2011-06-05, 02:51 PM
You know, this rule would be a lot more interesting if you could have difficulty reading the spells because of damage. As in, there is a cut over your fireball spell, or that acid arrow ruined the skin over the dimension door spell, something like that.
Probably too hard to implement, though.

Amphetryon
2011-06-05, 02:54 PM

I mean come on, as optimizingly OP as it it is, its not normal. If I saw a guy walking down the street with 50+ tatts, I'd think he was a freak. Personally if I was a DM, I wouldn't allow more than one tatt per arm, and maybe some on other areas, but if they insisted on having obcene amounts, I would have their charmisma lowered from people trying to view their faces or skin.

Also tattoos on the back/face where you can't see them? (I believe someone mention using mirrors) It would take while for you to whip out a mirror, or even if you had one in your hand to use it to view yur ass and read a spell, certainly longer than 6 seconds (1 round), and i don't think my toad familiar is going to have an easy time reading my backside for me.

It's considerably less optimal than using standard spellbooks. Disallowing tattooed Wizards while keeping standard ones strikes me, personally, as analogous to banning Monks while allowing Unarmed Swordsages on the basis that Monks are too powerful.

Zale
2011-06-05, 02:54 PM
Maybe the wizard comes form a culture where that's considered normal for wizards.

Or maybe they lived in a primitive society where parchment or paper is impossible to get, so they use themselves as spell books.

Honestly, it's better than them doing what someone else suggested and just using a dead reanimated body.

Flickerdart
2011-06-05, 02:57 PM

Yes.

I mean come on, as optimizingly OP as it it is, its not normal.

We're talking about D&D here. What the hell is "normal" when your tattoo can be used to summon an angel to curb-stomp the demon-worshipping cult you're fighting alongside an undead creature, a half-dragon and a man so strong he can beat you to death with the building you're all in?

If I saw a guy walking down the street with 50+ tatts, I'd think he was a freak.

And if you saw an elf walking down the street, you wouldn't?

Personally if I was a DM, I wouldn't allow more than one tatt per arm, and maybe some on other areas, but if they insisted on having obcene amounts, I would have their charmisma lowered from people trying to view their faces or skin.

Powerful devils and demons have bonuses to Charisma, and they look a lot worse than some ink. Charisma isn't being pretty, it's about self-confidence, which is why it powers Intimidate. In fact, a guy completely covered with magical writing is more terrifying than the same guy with plain (and face it, probably pasty white from the long hours in the library or dungeons) skin.

When your job requires you to put your life on the line, you're either "power-hungry" or dead.

If you're preparing your spells in the middle of a battle, then you've already lost, and no amount of ass-spells is going to help you.

NNescio
2011-06-05, 02:58 PM
Heroics: Stone Dragon lockpick.

Alter Self: Tunnelling or Flight.

Coidzor
2011-06-05, 03:00 PM
Familiars are as much a part of their master as they are their own separate beings. I can't imagine a Wizard being prudish where his familiar is concerned.

And certainly not if they're from the pervirtuoso's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178713&page=2) school of thought (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167278&page=3). :smallamused:

NNescio
2011-06-05, 03:02 PM
And certainly not if they're from the pervirtuoso's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178713&page=2) school of thought (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167278&page=3). :smallamused:

...that should force a Will save onto their opponents.

deuxhero
2011-06-05, 03:02 PM
. If I saw a guy walking down the street with 50+ tatts, I'd think he was a freak.

Key word: Wizard

Body concealing robes?

Zale
2011-06-05, 03:06 PM
Or disguise spells. Invisibility...

But, would you seriously complain about the fact that the wizard has tattoos as long as said wizard is hocking fireballs at your foes?

Flickerdart
2011-06-05, 03:07 PM
If you wanted to be really fancy, given the arcane mark spell it should be easy to whip up some invisible ink for the tattoos, and then read them when necessary with read magic which all wizards can prepare from memory.

deuxhero
2011-06-05, 03:09 PM
True, works better than secret page.

tyckspoon
2011-06-05, 03:20 PM
Or disguise spells. Invisibility...

This, really. Assuming you care what the average person who sees you thinks at all (tip: you don't.) a Disguise Self or Hat of Disguise set to 'me without the tattoos' covers it.

Jack_Simth
2011-06-05, 03:20 PM
Tattooing spells to a character's body was brought up in another thread, and I had a thought. What spells would a wizard assign this relatively little space to?
Let's assume the following.

1: The visible parts of the body would provide 4 pages (which is 4 level 1, 2 level 2 ect LTIC) worth of writing.
2: These would be applied at character creation for a level 6 wizard (Seems like a good starting level), so only level 0-3 spells could be applied.
3: Sure "they would just kill/blind the wizard if they couldn't easily disable them easily", but that's not the point. Let's just say they were... hidden via a Secret Page (Would that work on tattoos? Not the point!) and appear blank/non-spell related so we can avoid it and answer the main question.

edit:
4: The wizard also has a normal spell book, these are just for emergencies.

Limited to 3rd level spells, and only four pages worth, at normal costs...

Probably Swift Fly (Spell Compendium) and Rope Trick (Possibly Invisibility, instead). Make sure to take Extend Spell as a feat.

Big Fau
2011-06-05, 03:35 PM
Wait? There are wizard that summon the EXP bomb in the first place?

I'm doubting they would put it in the same cell anyways.

A properly used familiar is about as powerful as a druid's animal companion, and nearly twice as well-protected (since Arcane buffs tend to be very good at keeping the Wziard himself alive, it's trivial to give the familiar such buffs).

And again with the effing "You've been captured" thing... That's got to be one of the most cliche things to do to a party, especially considering that it breaks verisimilitude after a certain level.

Delcor
2011-06-05, 03:40 PM
And if you saw an elf walking down the street, you wouldn't?

Powerful devils and demons have bonuses to Charisma, and they look a lot worse than some ink. Charisma isn't being pretty, it's about self-confidence, which is why it powers Intimidate. In fact, a guy completely covered with magical writing is more terrifying than the same guy with plain (and face it, probably pasty white from the long hours in the library or dungeons) skin.

When your job requires you to put your life on the line, you're either "power-hungry" or dead.

If you're preparing your spells in the middle of a battle, then you've already lost, and no amount of ass-spells is going to help you.

Ok so: If i saw an elf walking down the street, I wouldn't think much of it because they are essentially the same as humans with slightly different body structure/ pointy ears.

As for the charisma thing, what I meant to say I would lower their charaisma in dealing with say peasents who would be intimidated by a wizard tattooed head to to toe, but nothing as drastic as lowering charisma. sorry for not being specific on that.

As for power hungry-ness: I can see dangerous work (adventuring) calling for a few tattoos, but not 50+

As for the baskside spells: you got me there

Delcor
2011-06-05, 03:45 PM
Key word: Wizard

Body concealing robes?

From what I understand, that would defeat their purpose by concealing them.

Big Fau
2011-06-05, 03:46 PM
Ok so: If i saw an elf walking down the street, I wouldn't think much of it because they are essentially the same as humans with slightly different body structure/ pointy ears.

You do know that there are walking tattoo archives IRL, right? They aren't that rare in big cities like Chicago or NYC. These people might get a strange look or two, but they are still considered normal people (the ink is supposed to draw attention anyway).

Only when they need to prepare the spells. When they are walking around, they wear the robe to hide the tattoos.

Zale
2011-06-05, 03:49 PM

The point of the tattoos is to function as a spell book, not decoration.

Though I suppose you could mix the two.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-05, 03:54 PM
Have you honestly never seen fantasy characters with facial markings? It's not like you're going to see any other parts of the Wizard's body unless he's preparing the spells he put on awkward places.

And how often do you watch the Wizard preparing his spells?

As for the charisma thing, what I meant to say I would lower their charaisma in dealing with say peasents who would be intimidated by a wizard tattooed head to to toe, but nothing as drastic as lowering charisma. sorry for not being specific on that.

You do know Intimidate is a Charisma-based skill, yes? Being more intimidating shouldn't give you a penalty.

Delcor
2011-06-05, 04:11 PM
You do know that there are walking tattoo archives IRL, right? They aren't that rare in big cities like Chicago or NYC. These people might get a strange look or two, but they are still considered normal people (the ink is supposed to draw attention anyway).

Only when they need to prepare the spells. When they are walking around, they wear the robe to hide the tattoos.

I never said that there werent people that did that stuff, i realize that they are completely normal people, just I have a personal distaste for such.

I was under the impression that they had to see them to access them, I was unaware that they only needed to view them for preparation, therefore you got me on that one.

Delcor
2011-06-05, 04:13 PM
The point of the tattoos is to function as a spell book, not decoration.

Though I suppose you could mix the two.

I knew that, But i was unaware they only had to be viewed for preparation, so I understand now.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-05, 04:21 PM
I knew that, But i was unaware they only had to be viewed for preparation, so I understand now.

So... what, did you think Wizards had to have their books open all the time normally?

Flickerdart
2011-06-05, 04:23 PM
To be fair, they could win encounters while enjoying some light reading. Or in the case of the tattoo wizard, admiring their abs. Go narcissism!

danzibr
After reading through the thread I forgot what I was going to say but...

I'd personally tattoo spells on myself. I have no tattoos in real life, but, well, right now I think were I was a wizard I would tattoo spells on my body.

Second, if you don't tattoo your face I don't see why you'd get a Cha penalty (even then you shouldn't, I seem to remember Cha being force of personality rather thn good looks). In fact, maybe they should get a Cha boost. Dude from Predators?

Delcor
Have you honestly never seen fantasy characters with facial markings? It's not like you're going to see any other parts of the Wizard's body unless he's preparing the spells he put on awkward places.

And how often do you watch the Wizard preparing his spells?

You do know Intimidate is a Charisma-based skill, yes? Being more intimidating shouldn't give you a penalty.

I've seen plenty of marked fantasy characters, but that doesn't take away from the weirdness factor they carry with them, unless in a society where bundles of markings are normal

As I said before I didn't know they had to be viewed only for preparing until now.

Yes I know intimidate is charisma based, but allow me to clear up the charisma debate: If someone was head to toe in tatts, I would cause that to affect how certain people interact with them, for example: little timmy the farmer boy sees Adrax the Burninating Tattoo wizard waltz in to ask for directions, hes probably going to be a little frightened and thus provide a -2 diplomacy or something like that, but I would leave intidate be, and maybe increase it if Adrax was bullying little timmy or some goblin

Zale
2011-06-05, 04:24 PM
I think Delcor was under the impression you had to see the tattoos in order to use them..

Flickerdart
2011-06-05, 04:27 PM
That would then be the case for any monstrous humanoid, anyone with a weapon (weapons are scary) and really any adventurer in general. Remember, adventurers are not normal people. They're basically social outcasts who murder and pillage for money and power, they just have the decency to do it to people nobody likes.

Delcor
2011-06-05, 04:30 PM
So... what, did you think Wizards had to have their books open all the time normally?

This is what I understand:

A wizard would get a spell tattood on his body, so which would count as one of his prepared spells, but would not require him to look at his book in the morning to learn. It would be cast normally, but in the event of the spellbook being destroyed/stolen, the wizard could access that tattooed spell. So their purpose was to be prepared for not having a spellbook, and having 80ish would almost null the spellbook, hence making it an optimal choice.

Is this right?

I orignially thought that the tatts functioned liek above, but you still had to view them to use them.

Delcor
2011-06-05, 04:32 PM
That would then be the case for any monstrous humanoid, anyone with a weapon (weapons are scary) and really any adventurer in general. Remember, adventurers are not normal people. They're basically social outcasts who murder and pillage for money and power, they just have the decency to do it to people nobody likes.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, so IMHO i disagree with this definition of adventurers.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-05, 04:36 PM

A wizard would get a spell tattood on his body, so which would count as one of his prepared spells, but would not require him to look at his book in the morning to learn. It would be cast normally, but in the event of the spellbook being destroyed/stolen, the wizard could access that tattooed spell. So their purpose was to be prepared for not having a spellbook, and having 80ish would almost null the spellbook, hence making it an optimal choice.

Is this right?

I orignially thought that the tatts functioned liek above, but you still had to view them to use them.

Where the hell are you getting this idea?

Tattooed spells are exactly the same as spells in a spellbook. They are magical writing that must be studied to prepare a spell. That's all they are.

Also spellbooks have 100 pages while human bodies have enough room for 80 pages' worth. And once they're on they're permanent. Wizards need vastly more than 80 pages to store all their spells.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, so IMHO i disagree with this definition of adventurers.

What exactly is your definition of an 'adventurer', then?

Also: there is an edit button, you know.

Flickerdart
2011-06-05, 04:38 PM
You know, there's no reason you can't tattoo spells on your familiar. Or on party members. Imagine the Barbarian in a tavern:
"Hey, check out this badass tattoo. My friend knows about wizardry and he says it turns you into a dragon that breathes demons."
"No, man. That tattoo is actually summon unthreatening rodent."
That's how bar fights get started.

So what do you think adventurers are? They don't hold full-time jobs, they don't have a permanent residence, they spend most of their time in the wild. Your average adventurer is a drifter who owns a sword, and claiming otherwise is just sugar-coating the reality.

Is this right?

No. These tattoos are identical to your spellbook. You prepare spells from them at the start of the day. Those spells don't have to be in your spellbook as well, because your spellbook is now your body.

onthetown
2011-06-05, 04:42 PM
1 Knock and 1 Lightning Bolt.

Wait until the guard(s) come by the cell, Knock open the door, then cast Lightning Bolt and get your ass out of there. Grab a heavy-ish object of some kind to use to beat your way out through the remaining ones. If this fails, wait for rescue.

So what do you think adventurers are? They don't hold full-time jobs, they don't have a permanent residence, they spend most of their time in the wild. Your average adventurer is a drifter who owns a sword, and claiming otherwise is just sugar-coating the reality.

Unless you've set up a base of operations and hire yourself out consistently to the same kind of people. Mercs who have a favourite employer. This implies that you got past the "drifter" stage to be able to afford your base, though...

NNescio
2011-06-05, 04:50 PM
Quick question:

Does a wizard need to pay the extra cost if the tattooed spells are part of their allocated bonus spells per level?

tyckspoon
2011-06-05, 04:52 PM
1 Knock and 1 Lightning Bolt.

Wait until the guard(s) come by the cell, Knock open the door, then cast Lightning Bolt and get your ass out of there. Grab a heavy-ish object of some kind to use to beat your way out through the remaining ones. If this fails, wait for rescue.

If you're concerned about a prison escape scenario, Blink or Gaseous Form would be the more reliable spells; no need to risk alarming your captors and failing to kill the guard(s) with a poor damage roll or them succeeding a save, just wait until nobody is looking and then walk out through the wall/float through the nearest open window/chimney/crack in a poorly-insulated wall.

Flickerdart
2011-06-05, 04:54 PM
Also, a necromancer could tattoo an undead minion, then slice up the skin and carve runes on the bones underneath. Bam, instant page count increase.

Zale
2011-06-05, 04:56 PM
Someone suggested using a large undead animated minion as a spellbook.

Delcor
2011-06-05, 05:00 PM

No. These tattoos are identical to your spellbook. You prepare spells from them at the start of the day. Those spells don't have to be in your spellbook as well, because your spellbook is now your body.

Ok in advance I'm gonna apologize for the amount of arguments that were sparked cuz i cant word things very well

I don't take issue with your definition, just the word choice. Murder, power-thirsty, and choosing only to attack badies is not how I would put it. Adventurers are social outcasts more often than not I totally agree there, but I would say that they volunteer to put their lives on the line to combat evil, and ambitiously pursue better ways to defeat it, or something around those lines.

As for tattoos, ummm wow so my knowledge of what they were was totally off the ball, sorry about that :smalleek: thank you for finally clearing that one up.

But my decision for circumstantial charisma based skill variation still stands.

and yes yuki, i know there is an edit button, i just suck at typing:smallannoyed:

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-05, 05:05 PM
Just because you think tattoos are icky doesn't mean eevry single NPC does too.

deuxhero
2011-06-05, 05:06 PM
And again with the effing "You've been captured" thing... That's got to be one of the most cliche things to do to a party, especially considering that it breaks verisimilitude after a certain level.

True, but you are a Wizard, you prepare for everything.

Big Fau
2011-06-05, 05:08 PM

Uncanny Forethought. Just sayin'.

I've seen plenty of marked fantasy characters, but that doesn't take away from the weirdness factor they carry with them, unless in a society where bundles of markings are normal

That's more of your own personal distaste for them. Many cultures around the world (including some cultures in America, Britain, and other world powers) view tattoos as a symbol of status or a rite of passage.

Have you read the ECS? Eberron practically embraces the strange and unusual, hell it's in the first few paragraphs of the book (EVERYTHING has a place in Eberron).

Flickerdart
2011-06-05, 05:09 PM
I don't take issue with your definition, just the word choice. Murder, power-thirsty, and choosing only to attack badies is not how I would put it. Adventurers are social outcasts more often than not I totally agree there, but I would say that they volunteer to put their lives on the line to combat evil, and ambitiously pursue better ways to defeat it, or something around those lines.
That's the Lawful Good ones. 10% of the population at best (I'd say about 5% are properly LG, because being LG is a lot harder than even NG, and Neutral is easiest of all). The classic dungeon crawl (hey, some guy's tomb, let's loot it) is grave robbing. It's not volunteering if you make ridiculous heaps of money, either (seriously, look at how much an Expert earns with his Profession checks and then look at WBL).

Delcor
2011-06-05, 05:10 PM
Just because you think tattoos are icky doesn't mean eevry single NPC does too.

I know, and hence the "circumstantial" part.

Delcor
2011-06-05, 05:13 PM
That's the Lawful Good ones. 10% of the population at best (I'd say about 5% are properly LG, because being LG is a lot harder than even NG, and Neutral is easiest of all). The classic dungeon crawl (hey, some guy's tomb, let's loot it) is grave robbing. It's not volunteering if you make ridiculous heaps of money, either (seriously, look at how much an Expert earns with his Profession checks and then look at WBL).

The average hook is not hey some guys tomb lets loot, its hey can u tough guys plz help me take out this badie in this tomb whos been attacking us, you can keep whats in the tomb as a bonus.

Amphetryon
2011-06-05, 05:17 PM
The average hook is not hey some guys tomb lets loot, its hey can u tough guys plz help me take out this badie in this tomb whos been attacking us, you can keep whats in the tomb as a bonus.

Could you provide some figures that support the claim that this is the "average" hook, please?

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-05, 05:18 PM
You know, if there was a terrorist hiding in someone's tomb, the soldiers sent in to take care of it certainly wouldn't be allowed to loot the tomb.

Just saying.

Flickerdart
2011-06-05, 05:18 PM
I didn't say "average" or "hook". I said "classic dungeon crawl". The vast majority of dungeons don't pop up overnight, meaning that they tend to be out of range for convenient raids (since nobody is going to build a city next door to the necromancer's pad unless they already have the means to defend it). It would take considerable research and effort to even find a proper dungeon.

Also, taking your premise and rolling with it. The person asking for help could be a Kobold, with the dungeon in question being dwarven tunnels. This is not an LG mission against an evil opponent- it's people taking money to fight a bloody war for territory.

olentu
2011-06-05, 05:19 PM
I know, and hence the "circumstantial" part.

Personally I would find this quite possibly a really bad idea. Mainly because of the possibility of personal bias creeping in though I suppose that could be countered by making an exactly equal amount of NPCs grant a bonus for tattoos as those that grant a minus. Though the NPCs would have to be equally important of course. Then there is the problem that this opens the door for every possible preference being argued as a benefit or detriment in any form of social interaction necessitating a complete writeup of all NPC preferences on all matters of appearance not to mention mannerisms and so forth. Then all of this needs to be strictly balanced out to avoid personal bias.

Delcor
2011-06-05, 05:20 PM
That's more of your own personal distaste for them. Many cultures around the world (including some cultures in America, Britain, and other world powers) view tattoos as a symbol of status or a rite of passage.

Have you read the ECS? Eberron practically embraces the strange and unusual, hell it's in the first few paragraphs of the book (EVERYTHING has a place in Eberron).

Fair enough.

I agreed with the outcast statement:smallconfused:

Delcor
2011-06-05, 05:24 PM
I didn't say "average" or "hook". I said "classic dungeon crawl". The vast majority of dungeons don't pop up overnight, meaning that they tend to be out of range for convenient raids (since nobody is going to build a city next door to the necromancer's pad unless they already have the means to defend it). It would take considerable research and effort to even find a proper dungeon.

Also, taking your premise and rolling with it. The person asking for help could be a Kobold, with the dungeon in question being dwarven tunnels. This is not an LG mission against an evil opponent- it's people taking money to fight a bloody war for territory.

Oh, my bad on the dungeon crawl thing, I take back my statement about the average hook then.

I assumed it being a good guy and not a kobold or whatever would go without saying. Either way I take back my statement.

Delcor
2011-06-05, 05:28 PM
Personally I would find this quite possibly a really bad idea. Mainly because of the possibility of personal bias creeping in though I suppose that could be countered by making an exactly equal amount of NPCs grant a bonus for tattoos as those that grant a minus. Though the NPCs would have to be equally important of course. Then there is the problem that this opens the door for every possible preference being argued as a benefit or detriment in any form of social interaction necessitating a complete writeup of all NPC preferences on all matters of appearance not to mention mannerisms and so forth. Then all of this needs to be strictly balanced out to avoid personal bias.

I had meant for it to be VERY VERY rare, and I wouldn'y allow non core material in my campaign so its not even an issue.

Also....how do you multi quote haha? I feel that would help me out a little.

Flickerdart
2011-06-05, 05:28 PM
Oh, my bad on the dungeon crawl thing, I take back my statement about the average hook then.

I assumed it being a good guy and not a kobold or whatever would go without saying. Either way I take back my statement.
I don't think you get it. The person asking for help is not what makes you an adventurer. The actual nature of the help is. If they need help painting their house, then it's not an adventure. If you're willing to risk your life to spelunk in a war zone, then you'd have been able to do it for whoever might be asking, or just for the loot.

Big Fau
2011-06-05, 05:31 PM
I don't think you get it. The person asking for help is not what makes you an adventurer. The actual nature of the help is. If they need help painting their house, then it's not an adventure. If you're willing to risk your life to spelunk in a war zone, then you'd have been able to do it for whoever might be asking, or just for the loot.

You'd reconsider that statement if the party were asked to paint the Golden Gate Bridge or another famous landmark.

olentu
2011-06-05, 05:31 PM
I had meant for it to be VERY VERY rare, and I wouldn'y allow non core material in my campaign so its not even an issue.

Also....how do you multi quote haha? I feel that would help me out a little.

That "+ button to the right of the quote button. Click it for all the ones you wish to quote and then click quote on the last one.

Delcor
2011-06-05, 05:38 PM
That "+ button to the right of the quote button. Click it for all the ones you wish to quote and then click quote on the last one.

I understand waht an adventurer is, I have led everyone here to believe other ise through a series of misunderstandings, but I've played enough ROG/fantasy to know what an adventurer is, I respect your image wheter it be the same or different from mine, but we've drifted far enough away from the purpose of this forum and I'm done.:smallsigh:

As to answer the actualy forum question (with my new tattoo knowledge):
I would just tattoo whatever spells I held dear to my chracter (fireball, fly, invis, MM) If you have the room, just do whatever suits your character.

Flickerdart
2011-06-05, 06:13 PM
You'd reconsider that statement if the party were asked to paint the Golden Gate Bridge or another famous landmark.
I don't think anybody lives in the Golden Gate Bridge. :smalltongue:

Boci
2011-06-05, 06:14 PM
I don't think anybody lives in the Golden Gate Bridge. :smalltongue:

Troll PCs? When, I guess that's technically under it, but still, close enough, it is effectivly their roof.

Deimess
2011-06-06, 05:44 PM
I keep getting this really funny image of wizards/geomoters tatooing their bodyguard(s) to get more slots and slapping them on the butt every morning in order to prepare fireball...

Trixie
2011-06-08, 11:24 AM
You know, this rule would be a lot more interesting if you could have difficulty reading the spells because of damage. As in, there is a cut over your fireball spell, or that acid arrow ruined the skin over the dimension door spell, something like that.
Probably too hard to implement, though.

You're late - one gamers webcomic did that (Wizard having spells tattooed on Fighter and Thief of the party, just in case, with the GM ruling in a fit (when he learned this) that they got extra 20 lashes ruining said spells (the party did managed to talk him into randomly rolling which were destroyed, though) before being thrown in) years ago ;P